Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

• 2 weeks later...

Social media has its hatchets out for Katy Tur (revealed during the trial to be a mouthpiece for Trump by Cohen).  Not seeing Maggie Haberman getting the same treatment.  Mainly because Tur was pouting openly today. 

23 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Social media has its hatchets out for Katy Tur (revealed during the trial to be a mouthpiece for Trump by Cohen).  Not seeing Maggie Haberman getting the same treatment.  Mainly because Tur was pouting openly today. 

Katy drops Phish references so this is a little disappointing...

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I have wondered whether or when the Internet Research Center, or whatever its equivalent is now, would flood social media with disinformative tweets purported to come from leftists, in an effort to compare it with how right wingers tweet actual disinformation, in a bid to both equivocate them and to remove friction from and stanch criticism of future right wing disinformation. 

On 5/31/2024 at 2:30 PM, oblong said:

I did a cursory 10 minute check on Twitter Trending on Katy Tur and I think the criticism is pretty weak.  Just seems like a circle jerk.

It's a simple and easy criticism.  She covered Trump's campaign in 2016 and made contacts that she utilized, nothing wrong with that.  I think anyone that has watched her over the years at MSNBC can see she's definitely no mouthpiece for Trump.  

That said, this is where the ethics in journalism come into play.  Nothing wrong with questioning Tur.  For instance at any time did she repeat information that she would have normally questioned more, if not for the fear of losing access?  I've complained about MIRS being a mouthpiece for Whitmer, but at least Tur reported on what she was given and didn't just print exactly what an administration gave them.

If Ted Lieu is posting something, it's either funny or skewed.  And Joe Walsh is smart enough, but so anti-Trump that he couldn't see what Lieu did and furthered that skewed view with an inaccurate follow up tweet.

Democrats were sourced for the article and while most did play the party line that Biden is amazing behind closed doors, several did say they had concerns.  They refused to be quoted on it though as they didn't want anyone to know what they said for concerns about their job.  

Biden is a shell of his former self.  I don't see how people can watch him, but also watch what his administration does for him and not see that.  The lack of time in front of the press, is certainly not Biden's wishes.  He's always loved to be in front of them.  

19 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The WSJ's credibility when down the tubes when it became a Murdoch property. It's Fox news for the Lexus crowd.

Not entirely true. The EB is 95% conservative in its op-eds. The writers, not so much. In fact, maybe two years ago a number of writers for the Journal submitted a letter to the EB voicing their opposition to the EB’s political musings. As a conservative, and years long subscriber, the not so subtle change in the writers is obvious to the trained eye 😉

3 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Not entirely true. The EB is 95% conservative in its op-eds. The writers, not so much. In fact, maybe two years ago a number of writers for the Journal submitted a letter to the EB voicing their opposition to the EB’s political musings. As a conservative, and years long subscriber, the not so subtle change in the writers is obvious to the trained eye 😉

That may well be true, but regardless of what they really are, anybody owned by Murdoch has a credibility problem because we know that the Murdochs are willing to force coverage to conform to what they want at any time. 

• Thanks 1