Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

That may well be true, but regardless of what they really are, anybody owned by Murdoch has a credibility problem because we know that the Murdochs are willing to force coverage to conform to what they want at any time. 

well said.  

and what is it with Murdoch's choice of wives? 

I have no problem with stories about Biden's age. He's old. And is in amazing physical shape for his age. And appears to be slowing down as old people do. And by any objective measure, he has had a consequential presidency so far.

Here is Trump glitching out again

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I watched Trump look presidential in one speech about 6 years ago, so obviously every complaint about him not presidential must be bunk.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/21/us/politics/biden-public-appearances-media.html

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Biden is old, in cognitive decline, and losing it. He is also an international criminal mastermind who can rig elections and trials. 

Said no one (currently) on this forum...ever.   Nice strawman though.

He is old, he is in decline, there is clear evidence that it's cognitive decline, but I can't say that for sure as the administration is hiding him.  From now until November, if we don't see Biden talk at all and for some reason Andrew McCarthy and Jonathan Silverman are on each side of them anytime you see him in public, I'll still vote for him.  I just won't lie to myself that I'm voting for Biden or Trump, I'm voting for Biden's chief of staff or Trump and while I don't like it, it's the far lesser of two evils. 

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

Said no one (currently) on this forum...ever.   Nice strawman though.

He is old, he is in decline, there is clear evidence that it's cognitive decline, but I can't say that for sure as the administration is hiding him.  From now until November, if we don't see Biden talk at all and for some reason Andrew McCarthy and Jonathan Silverman are on each side of them anytime you see him in public, I'll still vote for him.  I just won't lie to myself that I'm voting for Biden or Trump, I'm voting for Biden's chief of staff or Trump and while I don't like it, it's the far lesser of two evils. 

I mean, I never said anyone on this forum claimed that. I haven't seen "clear" evidence of this cognitive decline. What's amazing is you say your voting for Biden's chief of staff or Trump, and not acknowledging Trump's cognitive decline when there is numerous videos of Trump slurring his words and rambling incoherently. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I mean, I never said anyone on this forum claimed that. I haven't seen "clear" evidence of this cognitive decline. What's amazing is you say your voting for Biden's chief of staff or Trump, and not acknowledging Trump's cognitive decline when there is numerous videos of Trump slurring his words and rambling incoherently. 

Not that it would sway my vote, but I'd be more apt to vote for Trump more if I knew his chief of staff had more control than him.  I don't think Trumps decline is as clear, but it's noticeable as well.  Unfortunately for us, if he is elected, I think decline or not, he will be in control and will not let his administration do any 'business as usual' work.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

…are willing to force coverage to conform to what they want at any time. 

I believe, to one degree or another, this comment would apply to most all media outlets. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

There’s many examples like this. 

You're living in a bubble if you think this screw up by Trump is proof that he's in cognitive decline but there is no proof that Biden is completely fine.   

On 6/7/2024 at 4:27 PM, ewsieg said:

You're living in a bubble if you think this screw up by Trump is proof that he's in cognitive decline but there is no proof that Biden is completely fine.   

Both of these candidates are showing increased signs of physical and mental decline.   If health and mental fitness mattered for the job then neither should be our next President if we are really be honest about it.  

I think there is some decline for both. Just that Biden has enough actual governing ability that he is still quite capable of being president. That might not hold for the next four and a half years, but it’s still better, IMO, than Trump who never had much going on upstairs aside from his ubergrifter spoiled rich boy “smarts”. His loss of any capacity, after showing how poor of a president he was years ago…

can’t lose what you never had.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

I think there is some decline for both. Just that Biden has enough actual governing ability that he is still quite capable of being president. That might not hold for the next four and a half years, but it’s still better, IMO, than Trump who never had much going on upstairs aside from his ubergrifter spoiled rich boy “smarts”. His loss of any capacity, after showing how poor of a president he was years ago…

can’t lose what you never had.

He’s also not a convicted felon 34 times over. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2024 at 4:27 PM, ewsieg said:

Unfortunately all we have basically is a binary choice, not counting the Kennedy guy who seems to have his own cognitive issues.

Which party has the saner bench to better serve "We the people" and not the business or outside overlords. I may have been persuaded to vote for McCain over Obama if it hadn't been for his choice of VP. 

The federal government is not just one man or woman. I trust Biden's choice of folks over whatever or whomever Trump is being sold

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Unfortunately all we have basically is a binary choice, not counting the Kennedy guy who seems to have his own cognitive issues.

Which party has the saner bench to better serve "We the people" and not the business or outside overlords. I may have been persuaded to vote for McCain over Obama if it hadn't been for his choice of VP. 

The federal government is not just one man or woman. I trust Biden's choice of folks over whatever or whomever Trump is being sold

This is along the lines of what I've said before, outside the heightened view of the democrat party you have.  To my original point though (and not directed at you), just don't try and gaslight me that Trump is the only one in decline.

6 hours ago, ewsieg said:

This is along the lines of what I've said before, outside the heightened view of the democrat party you have.  To my original point though (and not directed at you), just don't try and gaslight me that Trump is the only one in decline.

i don't think anyone could honestly argue that Biden hasn't gotten physically frailer, but TBH, I don't care about that, it's not a prerequisite to do the important parts of the job well. Shrub was healthy as a horse, he was a disastrous president. To me the only place it figures in the calculation is wrt whether he lives out his second term, but even on the grounds that Harris is a largely unwritten story, i'd still vote for her even up over Trump or anyone Trump is likely to picks as a VP so even there, it doesn't weight negatively on the scale.

When I look at the operation of the Biden administration, I don't see any lack of vision, consistency. I don't see idiosyncratic actiions, senseless windmill tilts, or other evidence of an erratic hand at the tiller - so that's what I have to go by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 6/11/2024 at 2:49 PM, gehringer_2 said:

i don't think anyone could honestly argue that Biden hasn't gotten physically frailer, but TBH, I don't care about that, it's not a prerequisite to do the important parts of the job well. Shrub was healthy as a horse, he was a disastrous president. To me the only place it figures in the calculation is wrt whether he lives out his second term, but even on the grounds that Harris is a largely unwritten story, i'd still vote for her even up over Trump or anyone Trump is likely to picks as a VP so even there, it doesn't weight negatively on the scale.

When I look at the operation of the Biden administration, I don't see any lack of vision, consistency. I don't see idiosyncratic actiions, senseless windmill tilts, or other evidence of an erratic hand at the tiller - so that's what I have to go by.

The point about not just voting for the person but the administration is an important one.

Biden is old, he is frail, like most old people he's slowing down in old age. But with maybe one or two exceptions, his cabinet is top notch and filled with people who, at the end of the day, are capable of administering this government.

Trump, on the other hand, will likely be stocking his cabinet with the likes of Stephen Miller, Mike Davis, Devin Nunes, etc.... not only would I not trust any of those guy to run a three car funeral procession (let alone the government), when you listen to their words, they are dangerous as well. Not only will they not guard against Trump's worst impulses, they will fan those flames.

It's a tough sell as a mass message to the general voting public, of course, but it doesn't make it any less true. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The point about not just voting for the person but the administration is an important one.

Biden is old, he is frail, like most old people he's slowing down in old age. But with maybe one or two exceptions, his cabinet is top notch and filled with people who, at the end of the day, are capable of administering this government.

Trump, on the other hand, will likely be stocking his cabinet with the likes of Stephen Miller, Mike Davis, Devin Nunes, etc.... not only would I not trust any of those guy to run a three car funeral procession (let alone the government), when you listen to their words, they are dangerous as well. Not only will they not guard against Trump's worst impulses, they will fan those flames.

It's a tough sell as a mass message to the general voting public, of course, but it doesn't make it any less true. 

Exactly, and considering both candidates age I feel the choice of a running mate comes into play. In this case it would be a choice between Harris and whomever Trump finally decides on (Burgum, Vance, Rubio or another flavor of the day)

• 2 weeks later...