Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

If WCBS 880 bails, then it won't be much longer for WWJ 950 and WBBM 780.

Audacy also owns WINS AM & FM, an all newser as well. (Think of the old WMAQ, give us 20 minutes). I just looked at the ratings and they're holding up well in NY. Not sure how WBBM and WWJ are doing, but as long as there is significant revenue they may survive to fight a bit longer.

However when your stock is hovering around a dime a share.

Full transparency, my wife managed the WBBM newsroom from the mid '90s until late 2000. She also managed WWJ's newsroom from Dec 2000 to about 2010. I did traffic for WBBM for several years while we were in Chicago.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with it.  Don't add fuel to the "it was rigged" fire.  Don't give any election deniers any weapons to try to claim the election was fixed.... these crazy judges won't need much to justify crappy decisions.

Good read on the Elon puffery

The MAGA faithful treated the entire affair like it was some historical gathering of intellectual heavyweights—the public having been magically transported back in time to hear Thomas Edison and Teddy Roosevelt talk shop over a beer.

But it’s hard to imagine anyone who isn’t already slugging the Kool-Aid coming away with their minds changed much—let alone the sense that they’d just been on a livestream with the bull moose himself. Trump is looking for a way to reset the narrative in a presidential race that he now appears to be slightly losing. After last night’s Space, he’s still looking.

Edited by romad1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I don't have a problem with it.  Don't add fuel to the "it was rigged" fire.  Don't give any election deniers any weapons to try to claim the election was fixed.... these crazy judges won't need much to justify crappy decisions.

I do have a problem with it, in principle. The leak is almost certainly from inside, not Iran, and the free press should not be withholding crucial information from the public just because one side would think they'd be bad eggs for disclosing it.

Now, if it's garbage information—which it might be if it is an intentional leak designed strictly to discredit any media who publish it—then that's a different ball of fish (or kettle of wax, or however that goes). But if the media are withholding to protect themselves from the blowback of a right-wing hissy fit, then it is not only cowardly, it is an abrogation of the free press's responsibility to the public.

Edited by chasfh

I think it's the former and they believe it's the former, which is why they aren't doing it.  They aren't doing it to protect democracy or prevent problems during election certification.  If they had those principles they would be focusing more on Trump's dementia, etc.   They don't think they are valid leaks but propoganda.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I didn't realize there was a Politico Pitchbot parody account. Huh.

and the article itself doesn't say what the problem is other than "some say there's an economic problem".  But I can't tell what exactly that should be.  I've been told for 2 years now we're in  recession or soon will be.  Going back to my comment in the Investing thread... nobody knows nothing.  Everything can be spun into whatever they want it to say.

example 1,592 of the corporate media holding Dems to an impossible standard while simultaneously holding the GQP to no standard.

Trump said they exchanged love letters, but THE WASHINGTON POST fact checked the DNC and said love letters may not have been written by Trump. WTF.

3 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

example 1,592 of the corporate media holding Dems to an impossible standard while simultaneously holding the GQP to no standard.

Trump said they exchanged love letters, but THE WASHINGTON POST fact checked the DNC and said love letters may not have been written by Trump. WTF.

The best part is, Hillary didn’t actually say Trump wrote Kim love letters. 

• Thanks 1

Elon Musk’s X reveals investors in court filing (msn.com)

The filing lists nearly 100 entities with a stake in X, although many appear to represent different funds controlled by the same firm or person. Other investors include venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz, Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal al Saud; Twitter founder and former CEO Jack Dorsey; and 8VC, a venture capital firm co-founded by Joe Lonsdale, co-founder of intelligence contractor and data analysis platform Palantir.

Lesser-known shareholders listed in the filing include UnipolSai S.P.A., an Italian financial services company based in Bologna. Many of the larger investors had previously been reported, but X had not publicly detailed its stakeholders before. X did not immediately return a request for comment.

22 hours ago, oblong said:

He was a talk radio host in Milwaukee.  His twitter feed was your run of the mill RW nutjob stuff.  He tried apologizing after this tweet but....

This will probably end up as Exhibit A of how the mainstream media blocks free speech.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

This will probably end up as Exhibit A of how the mainstream media blocks free speech.

Bottom line is, we are all shameless capitalists, and that guy was not good for business as far as his radio station is concerned.

He be gone, bruh.😎 

On 8/24/2024 at 1:06 PM, chasfh said:

No free speech was blocked.  He was not arressted.  He was fired by an employer who expressed their own free speech by saying "we don't like what he said.". 

We all knew this was coming though.   We knew someone on the right would make fun of him.   Right on cue.   

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

No free speech was blocked.  He was not arressted.  He was fired by an employer who expressed their own free speech by saying "we don't like what he said.". 

Exactly.

From Reddit so I apologize for the language (name of subreddit).  I truly would love to have lunch with Cavuto just to listen to him talk about his experience at FoxNews.  He was like this back when I would occasionally watch Fox, glad to see he's still like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

From Reddit so I apologize for the language (name of subreddit).  I truly would love to have lunch with Cavuto just to listen to him talk about his experience at FoxNews.  He was like this back when I would occasionally watch Fox, glad to see he's still like this.

When it comes to today's Republican Party, Kennedy is a feature, not a bug.

What was really striking to me is how much Kennedy pushed everything onto Cavuto: "Hey, man, I'm just here telling the truth, you're the one with the problem who can't deal with it." This is essentially an entire party that is borderline on the spectrum that has not a shred of emotional intelligence. In fact, emotional intelligence is basically considered airy fairy horseshĭt by an entire party that wants to go back to a time where people would settle their differences by socking you in the nose. You know, when America was great.

Edited by chasfh