Media Meltdown and also Media Bias 101

pfife

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

When it comes to today's Republican Party, Kennedy is a feature, not a bug.

What was really striking to me is how much Kennedy pushed everything onto Cavuto: "Hey, man, I'm just here telling the truth, you're the one with the problem who can't deal with it." This is essentially an entire party that is borderline on the spectrum that has not a shred of emotional intelligence. In fact, emotional intelligence is basically considered airy fairy horseshĭt by an entire party that wants to go back to a time where people would settle their differences by socking you in the nose. You know, when America was great.

It's not even just that, it's simply following Trump's lead.  Don't debate substance, just make up names and hope one of them catches on.  Politics isn't always about substance, but it was at least it was rooted in it.  That's no longer the case (for the GOP at least), it's not about who has the better ideas plus a better way of communicating them, it's simply about trying to win the PR campaign.  Also the definition of 'winning' is slanted too.  Heck, don't even worry about putting an electable person up for a seat, if they are good at the PR portion and get on their knees for Trump, that's all the winning they care about.  Go out and lose that seat, doesn't matter, at least that person bowed to Trump.

Edited by ewsieg

35 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

It's not even just that, it's simply following Trump's lead.  Don't debate substance, just make up names and hope one of them catches on.  Politics isn't always about substance, but it was at least it was rooted in it.  That's no longer the case (for the GOP at least), it's not about who has the better ideas plus a better way of communicating them, it's simply about trying to win the PR campaign.  Also the definition of 'winning' is slanted too.  Heck, don't even worry about putting an electable person up for a seat, if they are good at the PR portion and get on their knees for Trump, that's all the winning they care about.  Go out and lose that seat, doesn't matter, at least that person bowed to Trump.

As I said: today's Republican Party.

47 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Every time I see one I want to turn it over and set it on fire.  

I just laugh at it.   It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen on the road,   plus I know the person driving it is a douchebag and I laugh at the fact that they spent 100 K on something you CAN'T WASH IN THE SUN !  

I've never been envious of people who have nicer cars than I do.  I don't care.   Does it safely get me to my destination with a working radio, heater and a/c ?    good enough for me.     I don't need to obsess over having the best this or that.    So I have no envy of people owning a Cybertruck.   Just the opposite -- I kind of pity them.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I've never been envious of people who have nicer cars than I do.  I don't care.   Does it safely get me to my destination with a working radio, heater and a/c ?    good enough for me.     I don't need to obsess over having the best this or that.    So I have no envy of people owning a Cybertruck.   Just the opposite -- I kind of pity them.  

"Motor City" Sonics you say? 

Although there is in fact a proud tradition of scorn and derision for the automakers among the citizenry here...

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

Personally I think Tesla is a bit underrated.   The Great Radio Controversy?   Love Song?   5 Man Acoustical Jam?   Cmon now.   That's good stuff.   

i was just listening to the Love Song last week.  I made a playlist of 1989 Power Ballads.  That was a good year for those.

25 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I just laugh at it.   It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen on the road,   plus I know the person driving it is a douchebag and I laugh at the fact that they spent 100 K on something you CAN'T WASH IN THE SUN !  

There's one at Starbucks on MI avenue every Saturday when we go in around 10.  My wife thought she had it figured out who it belonged to but the last time we went in, that guy wasn't there.  

8 minutes ago, oblong said:

There's one at Starbucks on MI avenue every Saturday when we go in around 10.  My wife thought she had it figured out who it belonged to but the last time we went in, that guy wasn't there.  

I saw one in traffic here with a Harris Walz sticker on it.  I've seen other Teslas with "I bought it before I knew he was evil" sticker on it. 

Overvalidated tech bros are so disgusting. 

My neighbor's boss has a cybertruck.  Apparently this guy and his wife have been all in on Tesla since the beginning.  My neighbor is not a guy I'd imagine giving any props to an electric vehicle and he does laugh at just how ugly it is, but he's been in his bosses and he admits it's pretty cool.  Apparently it drives very well and has a lot of neat features.  He's very impressed with the bed of the truck.  

With that said, apparently it's been in the shop 1/2 dozen times in the few months he's had it.  Per my neighbor, it has 'virus' issues all the time which is why it's been in the shop, lol.

The Tesla battery still doesn’t do well in cold weather.   The range is significantly impacted and can be as much as 70% than normal temps.   This should get figured out in the next few years but for now this is not a reliable truck in winter.  

The repair issues are real.  If it’s software related they can fix remote but if it requires any actual parts in many cases it’s at least a month and maybe as many as six.  

49 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This should get figured out in the next few years but for now this is not a reliable truck in winter.  

There are two issues with EVs in the winter. The first is the battery itself - low temperature slows down chemistry - that's a matter of physics so while better engineering will improve things over time, it's unlikely they will ever be able to eliminate the performance difference between hot and cold completely.  If you pay attention your gasoline car gets worse fuel economy in the winter as well though the effect in an IC engine is small by comparison.

The other difference in an EV is lack of waste engine heat available to heat the vehicle interior, and a car going down the road fast loses a lot of heat on a cold day and that has to be made up from the battery. You can do that more efficiently with a heat pump than with low tech resistance heaters, but that adds cost and complexity to the vehicle. Some EVs have them, IIRC Ford decided they weren't worth it on the E-Mustang. In any case there is no way around the need to heat the vehicle interior somehow (and cool it in the summer but that is a smaller task)  and that will cost part of the battery charge. They can make the heating system more efficient but that extra requirement won't go away. I can imagine we will see some new types of insulating windshield glass.

5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

My neighbor's boss has a cybertruck.  Apparently this guy and his wife have been all in on Tesla since the beginning.  My neighbor is not a guy I'd imagine giving any props to an electric vehicle and he does laugh at just how ugly it is, but he's been in his bosses and he admits it's pretty cool.  Apparently it drives very well and has a lot of neat features.  He's very impressed with the bed of the truck.  

With that said, apparently it's been in the shop 1/2 dozen times in the few months he's had it.  Per my neighbor, it has 'virus' issues all the time which is why it's been in the shop, lol.

and you can't wash it in sunlight.    It's towing capacity sucks, it doesn't handle off-road well. 

It's basically a mini van that looks like something someone would have imagined the future looking like in 1955. 

and you can't was it in sunlight.  

and when you do wash it on those overcast days, you probably have to use special Tesla brand car shampoo which costs about $1500 a bottle.  

The cult members got grifted once again. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

42 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

and you can't wash it in sunlight.    It's towing capacity sucks, it doesn't handle off-road well. 

It's basically a mini van that looks like something someone would have imagined the future looking like in 1955. 

and you can't was it in sunlight.  

and when you do wash it on those overcast days, you probably have to use special Tesla brand car shampoo which costs about $1500 a bottle.  

The cult members got grifted once again. 

IMG_7821.webp

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It's towing capacity sucks

That's an Achilles heel for all EVs. Fuel economy goes to pot when you tow with an IC vehicle as well, but 35gal gas tanks for your pick-up come cheap and the difference in refueling time is a pretty trivial. I think we are still a generation of battery tech away from practical EVs for consumer towing.