The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

10 minutes ago, pfife said:

Maddow raised a good point last night, she asked if a speaker jim jordon house would certify a 2nd straight Trump loss.

What will happen if the vote is a mostly-Democratic majority with Republican holdouts to certify another Biden win? Will Jim Jordan declare the vote to be a rigged fraud and then a bunch of red hat reps storm the Democratic cloakroom and hang Don Bacon in effigy?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pfife said:

Thanks MTU.   I hope Sherman's numbers hold!

To his last point, I just wonder how hard his support really is... it's clear that he's not well liked by a lot of his colleagues, but there is a bit of a "vote yes, hope no" thing going on.

And him losing 10+ votes after the PR onslaught yesterday may create a permission structure to jump off the ship (ie. "He can't get to 217, we need to find someone else who can")

I think he probably gets there in the end at this point. But after the way yesterday went, I'm a bit surprised that the picture isn't clearer at the moment

I want Gym to get it just so I can continue pointing out that the moral majority of America, the party of family values, will have its second Speaker of the House that was involved in the sexual assault of kids and young adults. While I find sexual assault reprehensible, disgusting, and criminal, I enjoy the how moral majority of America is always lecturing people about how their lifestyle is disgusting and degrading the moral fabric of our country, all the while making the person second in-line for the Presidency someone who was accused of covering up sexual assault allegations.

It looks like Gym won't get the votes though. So if and when Gym fails, does it go to Patrick McHenry next? Is the MAGA Freedom Caucus willing to vote for McHenry? I wouldn't think so. I don't know a whole lot about McHenry, but he seems like a run of the mill, institutional Republican and not an extreme, burn it all down type of guy.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I want Gym to get it just so I can continue pointing out that the moral majority of America, the party of family values, will have its second Speaker of the House that was involved in the sexual assault of kids and young adults. While I find sexual assault reprehensible, disgusting, and criminal, I enjoy the how moral majority of America is always lecturing people about how their lifestyle is disgusting and degrading the moral fabric of our country.

It looks like Gym won't get the votes though. So if and when Gym fails, does it go to Patrick McHenry next? Is the MAGA Freedom Caucus willing to vote for McHenry? I wouldn't think so. I don't know a whole lot about McHenry, but he seems like a run of the mill, institutional Republican and not an extreme, burn it all down type of guy.

They would need to get McHenry a 'nerf' gavel though, otherwise he might accidentally kill someone.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

What will happen if the vote is a mostly-Democratic majority with Republican holdouts to certify another Biden win? Will Jim Jordan declare the vote to be a rigged fraud and then a bunch of red hat reps storm the Democratic cloakroom and hang Don Bacon in effigy?

Trump can win in 2024 if Kamala Harris has the courage to do what's right

28 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I want Gym to get it just so I can continue pointing out that the moral majority of America, the party of family values, will have its second Speaker of the House that was involved in the sexual assault of kids and young adults. While I find sexual assault reprehensible, disgusting, and criminal, I enjoy the how moral majority of America is always lecturing people about how their lifestyle is disgusting and degrading the moral fabric of our country, all the while making the person second in-line for the Presidency someone who was accused of covering up sexual assault allegations.

I dont know anything about him either but kicking auntie Nancy out of her office seems like a troll move and all that comes with being a troll may apply

9 minutes ago, pfife said:

I dont know anything about him either but kicking auntie Nancy out of her office seems like a troll move and all that comes with being a troll may apply

I have a feeling that was more McCarthy and Scalise than McHenry. McHenry is just a lieutenant in the MAGA Army

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pfife said:

I don't know which is true because I haven't seen any follow-up reporting, but as CMR notes, there was a report put out that it was McCarthy who evicted Pelosi on his way out the door because he believed she reneged on an earlier pledge to support him against a MTV.  Also - supposedly under the rule McHenry can't do *anything* except preside over the Speaker election anyway.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pfife said:

Maddow raised a good point last night, she asked if a speaker jim jordon house would certify a 2nd straight Trump loss.

Valid concern because he could be Speaker if GQP retains majority after 2024 election, but I think the 119th Congress starts Jan 3rd, 2025, and then 3 days later Kamala Harris picks our new president for us.

• Thanks 1