The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

37 minutes ago, oblong said:

are all of these no votes just for show and they'll turn into Yes after a few more ballots? I really have not been paying attention to this very much.  Been busy with a trip to Cooperstown and half marathon training, running, recovery, etc.  Just didn't care about it.

I'm just guessing but...

I think the next vote for Jim Jordan gets worse, not better...

McCarthy got to 217 by giving stuff away to the point he neutered himself. What does Jordan have at this point he can buy votes with? Will other members believe any promises he makes to them? They all knew McCarthy was going to swing any way the wind blew - do they actually trust Jordan to keep his word even if they don't like/disagree with him?

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Jordan was heart and soul Jan 6.

The moderates don't believe **** from him.

That's why (in part... or mostly...) he won't be elected Speaker.

You would think it would be hard to take the word of man who refuses to ratify objective reality as meaningful. But what do I know, it's been a long time since I saw the world through a GOP belief filter.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

McCarthy got to 217 by giving stuff away to the point he neutered himself. What does Jordan have at this point he can buy votes with? Will other members believe any promises he makes to them? They all knew McCarthy was going to swing any way the wind blew - do they actually trust Jordan to keep his word even if they don't like/disagree with him?

It's a cliche as old as time, but when you're a hammer, everything's a nail.... and he (and his allies) basically went for the hammer as his first move to whip votes for today. 

Maybe he's able to win a handful back, maybe a couple of them voted symbolically today because they hated the process that led us here... but he may lose some votes as well, especially if there are members are convinced his thesis (ie. "vote for me because I'm the only one who can get 217) is now trash and now have a permission structure to go against him accordingly.

Edited by mtutiger

The fact that this piece of garbage is even thus close to becoming House Speaker, and thereby putting him third in line for the presidency behind the vice president, it’s horrifying. He would absolutely, given the opportunity, in the 2024 election, refuse to certify the votes for the Democratic opponent. This is a travesty that he’s even this close. The man’s a f’ing Traitor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Matt Labash ©

10h • Slack Tide by Matt Labash

The two big stories of the day, Jim Jordan and Hamas, collide. Consider the similarities:

1. You can't negotiate with either.
  2. Neither are capable of governing.
  3. Both are willing to blame others when they blow up their own side.

720bfa86-4fe7-496d-8917-8bda0d8f50b5_590

59 minutes ago, 1776 said:

In my humble opinion, Patrick McHenry is the most logical solution to this circus. But what do I know.

Sounds workable.

Get 30+ Republicans to agree to that route and Dem backing...

And shut out the Fascist Caucus of the Republican House Representatives.

It works for me.

Edited by 1984Echoes