The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The bigger point, I think, is that Tom Tubby is no Benedict Arnold, since Tubby is all treason and no valor.

It's too bad TT is such an idiot generally because the one saving grace of having a football coach in the Congress is that he was apparently working on some legislation to straighten out the NCAA, though I don't know enough about the details to have any idea if it was progress to just making a bad situation worse. But he has so devalued himself now that even if he had a good idea about something he might not find anyone willing to listen to or work with him.

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's too bad TT is such an idiot generally because the one saving grace of having a football coach in the Congress is that he was apparently working on some legislation to straighten out the NCAA, though I don't know enough about the details to have any idea if it was progress to just making a bad situation worse. But he has so devalued himself now that even if he had a good idea about something he might not find anyone willing to listen to or work with him.

I think it's worse than his devaluing himself—I think he had no value as it relates to belonging in Congress in the first place. He's just another performance artist who rode his own irrelevant-for-the-job fame into Washington, and now he's trying to make a name for himself there in what he's too ignorant to realize is the wrong way in terms of establishing a respectable legacy.

Of course, if Trump gains power and upends everything, then Tubby will be showered with power and riches, which he can use to dispense patronage to his own sycophants. And really, isn't that what all these swampy MAGAts are striving for, anyway?

• 1 month later...

There's a hearing on C-SPAN radio right now I'm listening to in the senate regarding child exploitation on social media with CEOs from major companies..... credit where credit is due..... Lindsey Graham is slaying these d bags

2 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

Every single one of these social media hearings goes the same way.  You could read a transcript from one five years ago and it would match up almost perfectly to the one taking place today.  Congress has been whining about Section 230 for years but has passed no legislation to address it.  Very strange since they sit in these hearings claiming that everyone is in agreement on the need to reform or repeal it completely. 

I did feel like a lot of it was the senators trying to shame or embarrass the companies into supporting their bills.   I guess where I kinda lose it is..... yall are the senate, pass the **** if you want.   personally I don't understand why these people who are obviously not supportive matter.   One of them even said if it was law they'll comply.   

1 hour ago, pfife said:

I did feel like a lot of it was the senators trying to shame or embarrass the companies into supporting their bills.   I guess where I kinda lose it is..... yall are the senate, pass the **** if you want.   personally I don't understand why these people who are obviously not supportive matter.   One of them even said if it was law they'll comply.   

Congress is more in the theater business than the, you know, legislating business these days.

I was just thinking along those lines.

We have open meetings acts to protect the public.  I think it's time to make them mandatory closed door.  Don't broadcast them. Publish transcripts with speaker names redacted.   I'm serious.  You learn who people are when nobody's looking.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

Every single one of these social media hearings goes the same way.  You could read a transcript from one five years ago and it would match up almost perfectly to the one taking place today.  Congress has been whining about Section 230 for years but has passed no legislation to address it.

Yet another issue that's more valuable unsolved than solved.

23 hours ago, pfife said:

There's a hearing on C-SPAN radio right now I'm listening to in the senate regarding child exploitation on social media with CEOs from major companies..... credit where credit is due..... Lindsey Graham is slaying these d bags

I'd be a lot more impressed if Lindsey gave an actual sht about any of it.

18 hours ago, oblong said:

I was just thinking along those lines.

We have open meetings acts to protect the public.  I think it's time to make them mandatory closed door.  Don't broadcast them. Publish transcripts with speaker names redacted.   I'm serious.  You learn who people are when nobody's looking.  

It's a double-edge sword. I suppose it is possible with a closed-door deal that there would be no live grandstanding on CSPAN, although they could still grandstand for the Congressional record, which is a public resource, and leak (or even report) what their testimony was in a timely fashion anyway. On the other hand, in cases like the Hunter Biden subpoena, where R Congress wanted a closed door hearing, Hunter wanted it to be an open hearing because he claimed congressmen with a partisan agenda can manipulate and distort the facts and subsequently disinform the public. (Although Hunter has agreed to closed door testimony later this month, so I would assume they must have negotiated a deal on it.)

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

It's a double-edge sword. I suppose it is possible with a closed-door deal that there would be no live grandstanding on CSPAN, although they could still grandstand for the Congressional record, which is a public resource, and leak (or even report) what their testimony was in a timely fashion anyway. On the other hand, in cases like the Hunter Biden subpoena, where R Congress wanted a closed door hearing, Hunter wanted it to be an open hearing because he claimed congressmen with a partisan agenda can manipulate and distort the facts and subsequently disinform the public. (Although Hunter has agreed to closed door testimony later this month, so I would assume they must have negotiated a deal on it.)

My intent was to create a scenario where people are there just to do the work and not caring who gets the credit or whatever... yeah I know it's a pipe dream as the whole point of a politician is to get credit for the work.  Chris Mathews used to always tell the anecdote about him going to work for Tip O Neil and he suggested "Why not just index Social Security to inflation so that you don't have to go through the exercise of the fight every few years"

"Then we can't take credit for giving the people the raises"

I'm sure it's not true but it's true in the sense of their motivation. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

My intent was to create a scenario where people are there just to do the work and not caring who gets the credit or whatever... yeah I know it's a pipe dream as the whole point of a politician is to get credit for the work.  Chris Mathews used to always tell the anecdote about him going to work for Tip O Neil and he suggested "Why not just index Social Security to inflation so that you don't have to go through the exercise of the fight every few years"

"Then we can't take credit for giving the people the raises"

I'm sure it's not true but it's true in the sense of their motivation. 

Minimum wage would make the most sense to attach to a COLA index.

But instead, let's sit on it for 20-30 years... makes business happy; but the living wage becomes unlivable pretty quickly. And then it's political fights to try to rectify/ or postpone the problem (depending on party) for more years and years. And it's all political grandstanding for exactly what you've mentioned.

Taking credit for ****ing up the system. Errr, fixing the ****ed up system... errr... so confusing. 

3 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

The best solution to these issues would be to take away the power of Congress to conduct investigations.  Let the various Inspector Generals and law enforcement agencies worry about upholding the law and leave Congress to do their actual jobs, legislating.  

if you want to reach for best - it would be voters that paid attention and could reason their way out of a paper bag. But apparently that is too tall an order in the US today.

This bill is a laundry list of items that GOP immigration hawks have hammered for years, all negotiated in a bipartisan fashion.

And they will not do a thing, because they really don't care about the border. It's incredible 

7 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This bill is a laundry list of items that GOP immigration hawks have hammered for years, all negotiated in a bipartisan fashion.

And they will not do a thing, because they really don't care about the border. It's incredible 

Things are always worse when Trump is involved.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Things are always worse when Trump is involved.

Specific to the border, I disagree. The last three years have been a disaster for unchecked immigration. As a nation we’re going to suffer for this. Actually, we already are. Frankly, I don’t understand Biden’s perspective on immigration. The open border is a national emergency and as president he has been MIA. Why? Land owners along the Texas border have been subjected to the hell for three years, or longer. I just don’t understand the logic in this administrations approach, if there is one.
I am grateful that there is a bipartisan bill addressing the issue. I also realize Mike Johnson says it will be DOA in the House. So again, it is a political football that each party is leveraging for power while the country is being overrun by unchecked immigrants. It’s pathetic. Why anybody votes for any of the people I don’t know. 

6 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Specific to the border, I disagree. The last three years have been a disaster for unchecked immigration. As a nation we’re going to suffer for this. Actually, we already are. Frankly, I don’t understand Biden’s perspective on immigration. The open border is a national emergency and as president he has been MIA. Why? Land owners along the Texas border have been subjected to the hell for three years, or longer. I just don’t understand the logic in this administrations approach, if there is one.
I am grateful that there is a bipartisan bill addressing the issue. I also realize Mike Johnson says it will be DOA in the House. So again, it is a political football that each party is leveraging for power while the country is being overrun by unchecked immigrants. It’s pathetic. Why anybody votes for any of the people I don’t know. 

He is involved because he wants to run on the issue.