The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is a really good point. All the rhetoric about so-called "open borders" is basically just an invitation for more people to come than who might normally have.

Chas,

If Biden ever needs a new speech writer, I’m referring you. 

7 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Chas,

If Biden ever needs a new speech writer, I’m referring you. 

if you wanted to cross the US border illegally, which option would you choose:

1) go when government officials are saying the borders are open

or

2) go when government officials are not saying the borders are open

Edited by pfife

22 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Remember his "jobs Americans don't want" comments...

We need immigration. You know here in the triangle the housing and business construction is through the roof (pun of the day). This area could not begin to back fill the overwhelming number of workers here that are immigrants, no way. Their work ethic is second to none. 
I just want to see a sane and rational structure for the immigration of people entering this country.

25 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

As much as we try to solve what is going on at the border, until the root cause of why people are fleeing South America is fixed, we will always have a border crises. I don’t know what the solution is to that. 

The US can't stop migrants from coming to the border. As long as the US provides better economic opportunity, they are going to come. Even if the US doesn't, they still have to go through the US to get to Canada. 

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

We need immigration. You know here in the triangle the housing and business construction is through the roof (pun of the day). This area could not begin to back fill the overwhelming number of workers here that are immigrants, no way. Their work ethic is second to none. 
I just want to see a sane and rational structure for the immigration of people entering this country.

And a solution to "Half Backs" settling in Western NC apparently as well

10 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

And a solution to "Half Backs" settling in Western NC apparently as well

I was educated on that term about 10 years ago. As I recall, the guy explaining it was a half back himself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

exactly - you can't have any kind of sane discussion on legal immigration levels until you can get to where immigration is mostly legals.

33 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

exactly - you can't have any kind of sane discussion on legal immigration levels until you can get to where immigration is mostly legals.

Kinda go back to what I said earlier... I dont think that the conservative movement really has consensus on what the problem at the border even is to begin with.

Some want the system to be sane and rational, but some just want to end *all* asylum and impose harsh limits on immigration altogether.

People of sound mind can disagree with the former, but it's hard to talk rationally with folks who believe the latter. And unfortunately, they are the majority view in the GOP these days if I had to guess.

Edited by mtutiger

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

And it's dead.

I've said before that Trump, in his strategic brilliance (otherwise know as shortsightedness) is driving the GOP into an overplay of their hand on this, but we'll see if the Dems have the cajones to now go hard against the GOP on their own #1 issue. They need to hammer that if you think the government doesn't work, these are the guys that are the reason why.

With the public mode on the economy turning up it's the GOPs last issue and if the Dems can take it away, even in part, it's going to dim the GOP's chance.

Problem for the Dems is that too many of them would rather not talk about it all.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, pfife said:

it probably would have helped biden politically but if it's a conservative wishlist then I guess I'm glad it's dead

This outcome was probably expected on their part, and probably will have some mild benefit for Biden in the sense that it will give him something to blunt some of the attacks on the issue IMO. (IE. We supported this bill that even the Border Patrol Union supported, but they arent interested in fixing the border)

This whole exercise has been very enlightening though. On a number of levels. The age of McConnell is coming to an end, the inmates now run the asylum

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've said before that Trump, in his strategic brilliance (otherwise know as shortsightedness) is driving the GOP into an overplay of their hand on this, but we'll see if the Dems have the cajones to now go hard against the GOP on their own #1 issue. They need to hammer that if you think the government doesn't work, these are the guys that are the reason why.

With the public mode on the economy turning up it's the GOPs last issue and if the Dems can take it away, even in part, it's going to dim the GOP's chance.

Problem for the Dems is that too many of them would rather not talk about it all.

I dont think that the Dems can win immigration as an issue outright, but they need to at least draw closer or use the issue to speak to Trump/GOP's competence in governing. Just pure politics, there's a pretty easy story to tell here and they need to run it to ground.

To that end, said this in another thread, but the campaign really needs to take a page from Truman and make this Congress a foil. Particularly the House. The reality is this whole incident speaks volumes in their inability to govern and voters need to hear about it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

This outcome was probably expected on their part, and probably will have some mild benefit for Biden in the sense that it will give him something to blunt some of the attacks on the issue IMO. (IE. We supported this bill that even the Border Patrol Union supported, but they arent interested in fixing the border)

This whole exercise has been very enlightening though. On a number of levels. The age of McConnell is coming to an end, the inmates now run the asylum

I am surprised, but McConnell did filibuster his own bill when Obama was president so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Hasn't been talked about last night given that James Lankford has the most painful role in all of this, but one other casualty to all of this last night was Kyrsten Sinema... her actions over the past few years were likely based on an incorrect read of the electorate. A lot of effort that amounts to very little.

As a result, one imagines she's 100% not running for reelection now.