The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

23 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I wish they would make them each stand alone bills.  

I'd love to see all of these bills as standalone bills, and honestly they probably would all pass if they were standalone bills. But the Speaker of the House holds discretion over what bills are brought up for consideration in that body, and outside of maybe Israel funding, they wouldn't see the light of day in that body.

That's part of how they got grouped together in the first place: the compromise was supposed to be Ukraine Funding for Border Security. The House reneged on their part.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

The Dems wanted Israel & Ukraine and other defensive priorities bundled because Republicans are now boot-licking Putin & Trump (not necessarily in that order) and so now "Screw Ukraine" by a significant portion of Republicans. Or maybe they're just nativists and want to shut down anything that isn't America First. Except they support Israel funding and Pacific funding and other defensive funding... just not Ukraine. That tells me they are boot-licking.

Republicans wanted all the defense spending attached to immigration reform because they wanted that done.

Until they didn't.

So the result of these stand alone bills that you want is that the Republican controlled House will pass Israel-ONLY funding (they've already done that).

And NOTHING else.

You're OK with that?

Just asking...

Edited by 1984Echoes

13 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

That's part of how they got grouped together in the first place: the compromise was supposed to be Ukraine Funding for Border Security. The House reneged on their part.

Correct. The Dems called the GOP's bluff by agreeing to immigration reforms the GOP had demanded thinking the DEMS would never agree to them and they would never see a bill. They have given the issue back to Biden on a silver platter. The Dems just have to not blow it, which is always a challenge for them.

23 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

So the result of these stand alone bills that you want is that the Republican controlled House will pass Israel-ONLY funding (they've already done that).

Just to take a step back, this is what people do not understand about how legislating works in the House of Representatives.... bills don't just see the floor because they are popular, a Speaker of the House has enormous discretion as to what sees or doesn't see the floor.

Theoretically, you could have a bill that has the support of 70-80%+ of the House, but if the Speaker doesn't support it and doesn't want it to get a vote, he or she has the discretion not to bring that bill to a vote.

There are mechanisms to get around that (such as a discharge petition), but the power dynamics of going around a Speaker don't really lend itself to that tool being used much.

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The Dems just have to not blow it, which is always a challenge for them.

Im re-reading a book about Hollywood in the late 60s and 70s ( after seeing many of these films for the first time since I last read it) and this passage stuck out at me and I saved it.  It’s Warren Beatty  

IMG_6315.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I would have like to see the immigration bill as stand alone so Biden could say here is what you wanted and you still won't accept it. 

I believe House Republicans are SAYING the bipartisan bill is DOA because it's not the immigration reform that THEY want.

But you might be right...

If the Senate passes a separate bill covering ALL of the defensive help they want to offer (Israel/ Taiwan/ Ukraine/ misc) and then runs the immigration bipartisan agreement from the Senate ONLY, as a separate bill...

That might put the House on the spot:

A) If they refuse to bring the defense portion to the floor they're showing their anti-Ukraine Pro-Trump hand publicly.

B) If they table the immigration portion because it's "too close to the election", they're boot-licking Trump and NOT working to solve America's problems.

B) If they run their OWN version of an immigration bill in the version that they keep SAYING they want passed; which would then go to House-Senate committee to resolve differences and then if it passes both chambers and sent to Biden for signature... then they are working for America and not Trump.

In effect... calling their bluff. On Israel. On Ukraine. On Taiwan. And on immigration. 

Which I think is your intent here...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

The vote to impeach Mayorkas just failed 214-216 with 1 NV.   Johnson looked like a little kid who didn't get a pony for Christmas when announcing it.  

215-215... the Dems had someone show up who wasn't expected to be there.

Just an incredible failure by House Leadership to do basic math lol

Edit: you're correct, official tally 214-216

Edited by mtutiger

Just now, GoBlue23 said:

Someone changed their vote at the last second.  According to CNN it was a procedural thing so they can vote again when Scalise is back.  

what a bunch of clowns. And totally meaningless. If they do get passed any articles will just go in Schumer's waste basket.

Al Green being wheeled in no doubt caused this, they assumed he wouldn't be there... 

It's almost an intelligence failure in that you'd expect them to at least have some sources within the opposing party to know something like that was a possibility 

Edited by mtutiger