The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

23 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

A Democratic takeover of Congress, both houses...

Means we will be a functional country again.

I wish for that to happen.  I think there will be violence again though.   Having some Gravy SEALS die off doesn't bother me so much as the precedent for political violence being the norm. 

On 2/6/2024 at 6:50 PM, mtutiger said:

Without a doubt, the most useless, most ineffective Congress of my lifetime... 

But the general sentiment in this forum (I can't remember if you were part of it) seems to be that Biden is a good President because he so strong legislatively.  I am not sure how that that can be reconciled with a useless, ineffective Congress.  I don't have a strong opinion either way.  You guys know more about this stuff than I do.  I am just wondering.  

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

But the general sentiment in this forum (I can't remember if you were part of it) seems to be that Biden is a good President because he so strong legislatively.  I am not sure how that that can be reconciled with a useless, ineffective Congress.  I don't have a strong opinion either way.  You guys know more about this stuff than I do.  I am just wondering.  

Biden managed to pass CHIPS, Bipartisan Infrastructure and Build Back Better, among other pieces of legislation, with pretty narrow majorities (including overcoming the 60-vote threshold) in the last Congress. His reputation on that front is fine IMO.

Obviously a President having a good understanding of the legislative process and / or working relationship with members of Congress helps; clearly he gets along with Mitch McConnell, which has helped in some of his legislative achievements. But at the end of the day, there are no Presidents who would work around the kind of rhetorical incoherence that we saw out of Congress during the last week.

And frankly, we have three branches of government. Biden is the Executive. The Legislative Branch is the legislative branch. Just as Biden gets blame for things that happen in his administration, Congress should shoulder 100% the blame for how it functions, and when it fails to function.

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

First two years versus second two years.

It's the House of Representative Republicans that have gone completely off the rails.

Their only Campaign Platform is: "We are Dysfunctional. If you love a dysfunctional government, do-nothing, corrupt, ineffective government, vote Republican."

12 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

First two years versus second two years.

It's the House of Representative Republicans that have gone completely off the rails.

Their only Campaign Platform is: "We are Dysfunctional. If you love a dysfunctional government, do-nothing, corrupt, ineffective government, vote Republican."

I also think that the Mike Gallagher types heading for the exits kinda tells the story as well.... don't have to agree with their worldview to recognize these are people who ran for Congress to try to do the work and to legislate. And a lot of these folks (Gallagher, McMorris Rogers, Granger, etc.) are heading for the exits, and one imagines that the direction of the party away from doing actual policy and  more toward messaging and grifting (Gaetz, Greene, etc.) has had an impact on why they are choosing to retire.

It all confirms what I am seeing, is that this institution is off the rails and is unlikely to be put back onto the rails anytime soon.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Trump and his minions are setting the Democratic Party up for a watershed election year. 

This is what I am hoping for.

Republican moderates getting the hell out of Dodge...

The MAGA crazies get crushed by all sorts of Dems in the general election...

And the subsequent implosion of the "Republican Party" discredits the current wave of Fascism in America.

One can only hope...

18 minutes ago, oblong said:

Demographic collapse and declining birth rates huh. 

How can people like Tim Scott be around guys like that?

Truly looney tunes stuff.

One of the most underrated pieces of analysis about our current state / this upcoming election, imo, has come from Tim Walz (Governor of Minnesota)... saw a couple of clips from news shows last fall where he observed, paraphrasing, that the GOP runs a lot of really weird candidates. And that weirdness is a real weakness...

JD's comments are emblematic of that. Aside from how dark and ugly it comes across, it is just really freaking weird to anyone not in that bubble.

Edited by mtutiger