The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

17 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Near as I can read this, the radicals don't want McHenry, they want Jordan. Hopefully they are pushing the 'moderates', OK, correct that, there may no 'moderates', lets just call them the 'sane' caucus, closer to the embrace of Mr Jeffries.

I never thought this a realistic possibility.

Chance this happens = 0.

However...

Moderate Republicans have to be thinking to themselves, that they will NEVER get a moderate Speaker again. McCarthy was their guy. But they know the Fascist Caucus is dead set against another of theirs and will ONLY support a Fascist Speaker.

So they have a decision to make:

1) Wilt for a Fascist Caucus Speaker, when it's NOT Jordan?

2) Keep pressing for a moderate Speaker; which they know will never get 100% backing from their party?

3) Pull an end-around and vote for Jeffries. Fall on their sword so to speak because they'll come under a firestorm of criticism from the right and probably lose their jobs next election?

At this point, they know they'll be able to work out fair deals with the Dems on rules and such, Ukraine, Israel... maybe even a balanced budget that includes cuts in spending as well as some targeted tax increases (not cuts alone), and maybe some repairs to Social Security funding...

Would they go so far as to actually vote for Jeffries? Before today: No. Today... Hmmm... Maybe.

I'm thinking it IS becoming much more of a realistic possibility IF moderates look in the mirror and realize that absolute truth of their current position.

PS: If 30 moderate Republicans vote for Jeffries...

1) It may give them more cover, amongst themselves, but also back in their districts if they can successfully argue that they represent the country, not Trump's Pending Fascist Dictatorship. I don't know how well that'll work... but I do know:

2) If this happens, it splits the party.

3) Maybe they limit the damage to 5 Republicans in the strongest Biden districts in order to, you know, try to limit the damage within the party? Hence, 5 guys/ (or gals) falling on their swords. Or in districts in which the Rep has already decided to retire...?

It honestly amazes me it's taken even this long for there to be more coverage of how normalized this is within the Republican Party in particular.... especially since Trump came into play, this has always been a feature, although we're now seeing real world consequences of it for these holdouts.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah, the whole "Jordan is gonna keep the whole Congress in session all weekend" idea falls apart the moment that (if my math is correct) three GOP members join Derrick Van Orden in being somewhere else all weekend.

The way i understand it is the vote is 1) contingent on a quorum. 2)The new Speaker would need a majority of the votes present.

If several republicans leave and you have the anti Jordan faction continues with basically voting no. There is the possibility Jefferies could end up stealing the seat. He's won a plurality several times now.

8 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The way i understand it is the vote is 1) contingent on a quorum. 2)The new Speaker would need a majority of the votes present.

If several republicans leave and you have the anti Jordan faction continues with basically voting no. There is the possibility Jefferies could end up stealing the seat. He's won a plurality several times now.

To be honest, while I don't think it is likely, I wouldn't be totally surprised if this happens.... if one gathers that Jordan is trying to make himself into a martyr, one way for that to happen is for Jeffries to be elected by fluke because he was "failed" by the "evil Establishment"

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

To be honest, while I don't think it is likely, I wouldn't be totally surprised if this happens.... if one gathers that Jordan is trying to make himself into a martyr, one way for that to happen is for Jeffries to be elected by fluke because he was "failed" by the "evil Establishment"

"The election was stolen!  They tricked us!"