The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

Don't misrepresent this as me saying Jordan is playing Chess while others are playing Checkers, but there has to be a strategy of some sorts, correct?  McCarthy, while brutal on him, kept on having votes and in between you'd hear rumors of discussions ongoing.  Is the 1 and done voting per day his way of counting votes and trying to determine if his bullying strategy is working or something?  Does he think he has to keep voting to show he's 'fighting' to keep Trump appeased?  Usually I can identify a strategy even if I don't agree with it, I just can't figure it.

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Don't misrepresent this as me saying Jordan is playing Chess while others are playing Checkers, but there has to be a strategy of some sorts, correct?  McCarthy, while brutal on him, kept on having votes and in between you'd hear rumors of discussions ongoing.  Is the 1 and done voting per day his way of counting votes and trying to determine if his bullying strategy is working or something?  Does he think he has to keep voting to show he's 'fighting' to keep Trump appeased?  Usually I can identify a strategy even if I don't agree with it, I just can't figure it.

The strategy is sort of hard to suss out imo because he doesn't care about winning this election or becoming Speaker.... he cares about being a martyr standing up to the "evil establishment".

All the failure with Rs in tough districts (ie. the NYers, Bacon, etc.) and with R Appropriators (Granger, Simpson, Womack) all helps fill his narrative, which is the content that energizes the types of Republicans that Jordan caters to.

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

And then what? Try to back door Jordan into the Temporary Speakership? Is that even legal?

We are talking about the Pro Authoritarian Party here.  

Pretty sure the resolution would require the whole house to vote, presumably Bacon and Co + Dems means that's a fruitless endeavor for the Jordan dead-enders.

Edited by mtutiger

44 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I don't think there's a strategy here.

I think Jordan is using pressure campaigns to get his numbers up from the holdouts. That's his strategy if you want to call it that. The more accurate description is:

Miscalculation.

43 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The strategy is sort of hard to suss out imo because he doesn't care about winning this election or becoming Speaker.... he cares about being a martyr standing up to the "evil establishment"...

I don't think Jordan is playing games here...

I think he actually WANTS to become Speaker. He can be more destructive that way.

He's just miscalculated, along with the rest of his fascist faction, that they can pressure the moderate caucus into supporting them. They're playing hard ball.

And losing. The score is 3-0 Moderates, I believe.

18 minutes ago, oblong said:

Mike Lawler again on CNN blaming democrats.  "handful of members in our conference teamed up with democrats.  Voters decided to have a republican house to be a check on this admin".

Voters don't pick the entire house.  They pick one of 435.

I didn't see this one, but in the previous one I felt like the 'blames democrats' while technically correct, wasn't exactly the point he was trying to make.  I took it that he blamed the handful of members and of course the opposing party took advantage of it to help ensure it happened.  He did argue that it would have been in their best interest in keeping McCarthy over Jordan, which you can sell me on a few arguments, but as a whole, he has to know no one is going to vote against a party line on this unless you 1) can deliver something in return and 2) they trust that you won't go back on it.  I can't think of too many democrats would do that for.  Only ones I could think Dems would entertain aren't even in the house anymore.

26 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

...  no one is going to vote against a party line on this unless you 1) can deliver something in return and 2) they trust that you won't go back on it.  I can't think of too many democrats would do that for...

This is the key component in McCarthy's downfall, from the Dem side.

Representative Carlos Gimenez of Florida, another Jordan holdout, said their stance was based on principle. “There’s nothing we want,” he said, “so there’s nothing he can offer us.” Gimenez added that grinding through more ballots will only lose Jordan support, and that some members may leave Washington for the weekend, shaking up Jordan’s math.

NYT ticker

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

it would be fun  if the GOP lost track of their count and got Jeffries elected, Of course nearly immediately the GOP would vote him back out because 'no' is the one thing the GOP can always coalesce around.

Or Jeffries could do an immediate vote...

For a Republican nominee of Jeffries choosing (whichever moderate they feel they can work with best), a "rules package" that the Dems can announce, and all vote 100% for that person...

And see what happens...

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

how do we feel about Lyn Cheney?

The problem right now is:

The Fascist Faction will refuse to support any moderate or anti-Trump Republican (and Cheney certainly qualifies on that second count); 

And the moderate faction, at least currently, will not support a Fascist candidate, at least one that they don't like.

Who can be nominated that can pull in both factions? Or at least get the moderates to buckle? Because the Fascist Faction won't.

If the moderate faction refuses to buckle, their only way out is to talk with the Dems.

Otherwise... this still goes on.... and on.... and on.... and on....