The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

11 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

So this is the moment of truth (again...). The Jordan/Gaetz group will block whoever is put up that isn't there own, but so the sanity caucus has to again chose to go along because 'X' is not as bad as Jordan, or cross the aisle (Rubicon?) and ask for help to elect someone else.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

The problem right now is:

The Fascist Faction will refuse to support any moderate or anti-Trump Republican (and Cheney certainly qualifies on that second count); 

And the moderate faction, at least currently, will not support a Fascist candidate, at least one that they don't like.

Who can be nominated that can pull in both factions? Or at least get the moderates to buckle? Because the Fascist Faction won't.

If the moderate faction refuses to buckle, their only way out is to talk with the Dems.

Otherwise... this still goes on.... and on.... and on.... and on....

LOL - I just wrote this as you did!

1 hour ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

The people of…Sidney, Ohio?

That is Sidtucky to you. Thank you very much.

For what it is worth, Sidney is now split with Jordan only repping the northern half. The southern half (including where I lived as a kid) is represented by Davidson now. It used to be Boehner in the 90s.

Also only about 35% covid vaxxed last time I checked. I don't believe my HS class is doing a milestone reunion this year, but it seems likely to be a superspreader. It does make me realize a good chunk of the top of each class moved elsewhere. Over time, that is going to lead to educational divides in the district. Also, I am pretty sure that Chris Gibbs guy who ran against him was involved in my scout troop 30 or so years ago.

Another also, my brother pointed out a teacher of his was good buddies with Jordan, and he came to visit their class often. The teacher was the wrestling coach, so you can see where I am going with this...

Edited by Edman85

So lots of hats being tossed into the ring but the calculus still doesn't add up. The MAGA want a true believer, won't support anyone they think will be weak kneed and make a budget settlement with the Dems before the Nov 17 deadline. The 'sanity' caucus ( I won't call them moderate, there really aren't any of those left) have exactly the opposite imperative, they see their seats flipping blue if the GOP engineers another shutdown crisis. There really isn't any middle ground. So either the sanity caucus folds and votes for someone in Jordan's orbit but maybe without his personal baggage, or the conservatives fold and accept an old guard guy and re-orient their fight toward primary-ing  their  opponents. Or...a deal gets made across the aisle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pfife said:

LOL @ the republic pollster on C-SPAN saying the Republic party is a "big tent party" and his evidence is that they have members from every state in the union

Not sure if he's referring to the House or not, but if he is, his statement wouldn't even be accurate (Delaware and Alaska come to mind)

On 10/18/2023 at 12:06 PM, oblong said:

Mike Lawler once again on CNN blaming Democrats for helping to create this mess.  He did it 3 times in his interview.

I didn't know it was their job to make sure a republican stays speaker.

It makes no sense until you consider the intellectual level of their constituency. 

On 10/19/2023 at 10:53 AM, mtutiger said:

That last statement really cuts to why he'd be a disaster as leader.... there are simply things that you have to do in that role that involve coordination with the other party, and he's completely and utterly incapable of being that person.

Which is why anyone who votes for him would vote for him, since they don’t want him to work with the other party. Their goal is to destroy government from within and steal all the money on the way out.