The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

3 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

We fought a war in 1775 so that we weren't controlled by the church. The very first amendment of the  constitution. Allows us to practice what we want and not have to tith the state church by law.

Thankfully, Boebert is anything but a thought leader even in that party.

Unfortunately, she's certainly not the only one in that party to believe exactly that.

On 10/20/2023 at 2:15 PM, 1984Echoes said:

... The Fascist Faction will refuse to support any moderate or anti-Trump Republican (and Cheney certainly qualifies on that second count); And the moderate faction, at least currently, will not support a Fascist candidate, at least one that they don't like. Who can be nominated that can pull in both factions? Or at least get the moderates to buckle? ...

So the "moderates" did buckle.

And the answer to this question is: Mike Johnson.

(With a noted look of disappointment/ resignation on my face...).

26 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

It's even worse than that: he's second in line. In her defense, Michelle Kinney is a creative.

I believe they think of the Constitution and the Bible in the exact same way: they don't read it and they may or may not even know what's in it, but it was handed down by God to Christians to beat everyone else over the head with it.

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Which is hysterical because they are followers of an agnostic who lies, steals and has cheated on every spouse he's ever had.     One of the most immoral people to ever exist in our times.   Immoral right down to his very core.    

Trump's their modern-day Cyrus.

If these Right Wing turds want to live by Biblical standards, let them do it.     Oh, not the Pick & Choose Bible, I'm talking the whole smash.   Let's go Literal.  

Chasfh,  Sue, 84Echos,  will you help me collect the stones?    Because by Biblical standards all those bastards have committed sins punishable by death.   Every last one of them.   We all have too, but I don't wish to live by Biblical or any other religious standard............. I mean, this is how they want to live, right?     Put your money where your mouth is, cowards.     I mean, what's is there to worry about, you're all going to heaven, right? 

There's your Biblical Republic.        

You all have probably read this before because it's really old, but it's still pretty good. A(n apocryphal) letter to "Dr." Laura, the radio lady.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination…End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God’s Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness – Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord – Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.  Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I’m confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan,

Anonymous

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

You all have probably read this before because it's really old, but it's still pretty good. A(n apocryphal) letter to "Dr." Laura, the radio lady.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination…End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God’s Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can’t I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness – Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord – Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death.  Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this? Are there ‘degrees’ of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I’m confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan,

Anonymous

Either the West Wing stole that or it was stolen from the West Wing

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

the list of things in the OT to toss back to bible literalists has been around since long before the internet or the West Wing, so neither is particularly original on these points. The one caveat that an OT fan could throw back at you is that much of Leviticus is ritual purity rules for the priesthood ("Leviticus" = "of the Levites", Levites were the priests) and one could argue some number of these particular items were not meant to be applicable to the general population. That said, there are plenty of things such as slavery etc, that make good enough examples apart from those you could reasonably confine to some of the odder priestly rules.

Edited by gehringer_2

27 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't know if it was original run or not, but that episode was on the first night my wife was in the hospital after my first son was born, she'd had a C-section.  She was sleeping and I was watching it on those little TV monitor things.  It was also the day that the SC ruled for Bush in the 2000 election.

So these guys take an issue that most every member of Congress would be willing to fund and then proceed to tie it to something that will never get Democratic votes. And that by many accounts, would increase the deficit.

If Republicans in Congress believe funding for Israel is important, maybe they would act a little more serious 

Edited by mtutiger

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

So these guys take an issue that most every member of Congress would be willing to fund and then proceed to tie it to something that will never get Democratic votes.

If Republicans in Congress believe funding for Israel is important, maybe they would act like it and stop playing politics.

House Republicans are going to be giving a major STREAM of their Political Polemics.

And to hell with anything else.

You know, like... governing, compromise, leadership, doing what's right for America/ Americans/ democracy, etc...

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

So these guys take an issue that most every member of Congress would be willing to fund and then proceed to tie it to something that will never get Democratic votes. And that by many accounts, would increase the deficit.

If Republicans in Congress believe funding for Israel is important, maybe they would act a little more serious 

Somebody needs to ask the new Speaker “What would Jesus do ?” And ask for Biblical quotes so I can look it up in my King James Bible.

None of those new fancy smancy ones for me.