The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

Shot..

“Hawley plans to introduce legislation that would gut Citizens United v. FEC: ‘My goal is to get corporate money out of our politics,’ he said. His aim is to stop ‘corporate influence’ from ‘controlling our elections.’”

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2023/10/31/sen_josh_hawley_to_introduce_bill_reversing_citizens_united_149989.html

Kicker..

BUT:The Hawley legislation would ban publicly traded corporations from making independent expenditures and giving to Super PACs while prohibiting them from cutting political ads or engaging in “other electioneering communications.” Ironically, however, it would not stop the conservative group that upended modern election law. Citizens United is itself a non-profit and, therefore, wouldn’t be affected.

But we were told corporations are people too. (Unless you disagree with them 

4 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Shot..

“Hawley plans to introduce legislation that would gut Citizens United v. FEC: ‘My goal is to get corporate money out of our politics,’ he said. His aim is to stop ‘corporate influence’ from ‘controlling our elections.’”

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2023/10/31/sen_josh_hawley_to_introduce_bill_reversing_citizens_united_149989.html

Kicker..

BUT:The Hawley legislation would ban publicly traded corporations from making independent expenditures and giving to Super PACs while prohibiting them from cutting political ads or engaging in “other electioneering communications.” Ironically, however, it would not stop the conservative group that upended modern election law. Citizens United is itself a non-profit and, therefore, wouldn’t be affected.

But we were told corporations are people too. (Unless you disagree with them 

I don't care if it's not the whole loaf - half a loaf would still be a big improvement.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't care if it's not the whole loaf - half a loaf would still be a big improvement.

I would rather see the PACs go the way of the dinosaur, however. I think they're a bit more dangerous than the corporations in the long run. Especially if it kills "dark money". I'd like to know who is donating to whom

• Like 1

They're debating the motion to expel George Santos right now and it's wild.  George Santos just yielded time to Dan Goldman who proceeded to drag Santos as well as the other Republican Reps from New York who are there arguing for expulsion.  It's basically one big New York slap fight on the House floor, never seen anything like it.    

17 minutes ago, pfife said:

Yeah, I read an article that said he is now blocking individual votes where he was previously saying he wouldn't do that.   Ernst and Sullivan are pissed off at him.   I think tuberville stunt will be done soon. 

Graham turned and looked right at him to scold him as well.   Per usual, just another issue we have to deal with because of Saban.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/11/01/politics/ken-buck-will-not-seek-reelection/index.html

Ken Buck quote:

“Our movement has always been fueled by immutable truths about human nature individual liberty and economic freedoms,” the Colorado Republican said in his video announcement. “The Republican Party of today, however, is ignoring self-evident truths about the rule of law and limited government in exchange for self-serving lies.”

7 hours ago, pfife said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/11/01/politics/ken-buck-will-not-seek-reelection/index.html

Ken Buck quote:

“Our movement has always been fueled by immutable truths about human nature individual liberty and economic freedoms,” the Colorado Republican said in his video announcement. “The Republican Party of today, however, is ignoring self-evident truths about the rule of law and limited government in exchange for self-serving lies.”

LOL - just saw that. Heck he should have been happy after helping to dump McCarthy.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - just saw that. Heck he should have been happy after helping to dump McCarthy.

I would be interested to read something about his recent transformation.   My most lasting memory of him is during the Mueller hearing where he was trying to defend Trump but inadvertendly led Mueller to say that he could charge Trump with crimes after he leaves office.

While the Lee family were prominent in Virginia and the Ohio Company (then part of Virginia) Robert E was a tad late to the party. In fact Richard Henry Lee had strong anti slavery sentiments

https://constitutingamerica.org/90day-dcin-richard-henry-lee-of-virginia-continental-congress-delegate-author-resolution-that-led-to-declaration-of-independence-signatory-guest-essayist-joerg-knipprath/#:~:text=On the topic of slaves,end the overseas slave trade.

Edited by CMRivdogs
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2023 at 11:07 AM, CMRivdogs said:

As usual House Rabid Jackals are lying about wanting to reduce the Federal Budget

Correct. It's all a ruse to shift government spend from butter to guns, because guns have big-time lobbies and factories that create jobs in many red districts, and butter not so much.

11 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

While the Lee family were prominent in Virginia and the Ohio Company (then part of Virginia) Robert E was a tad late to the party. In fact Richard Henry Lee had strong anti slavery sentiments

https://constitutingamerica.org/90day-dcin-richard-henry-lee-of-virginia-continental-congress-delegate-author-resolution-that-led-to-declaration-of-independence-signatory-guest-essayist-joerg-knipprath/#:~:text=On the topic of slaves,end the overseas slave trade.

For clarification, after listening to this I looked it up and Greene never said Robert E Lee was a founding father, apparently another congressman spoke earlier about some act that protects statues on federal property of founding fathers, but none of that was related to Lee nor what Greene was responding too.

That said, the rest of Pingree's response was spot on.

13 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

For clarification, after listening to this I looked it up and Greene never said Robert E Lee was a founding father, apparently another congressman spoke earlier about some act that protects statues on federal property of founding fathers, but none of that was related to Lee nor what Greene was responding too.

That said, the rest of Pingree's response was spot on.

Point taken.

One more point about those decrying the removal of statues of Confederate "heroes" is that the vast majority of those erected throughout the South and other places were funded by groups loosely, if not directly, connected to the KKK or Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy.  
There has never been, in my knowledge, a monument removed from a battlefield. 

Just an aside, there was a recent article in the Washington Post about the Lee Statue in Richmond that was removed. It has been melted down. Evidently the bronze was highly contaminated.

• Like 1