The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

So I guess Covenant Eyes will be the software they will require on everyone’s devices once Republicans take over the government for good.

Required Daily Reading... or you have to spend 10 days in jail and a $10K fine (once Republican Theo-Fascists have placed Dictator Trump back in control)... 

Also, all non-Christians including pagans, atheists, Jews, Muslims and Buddhists will be required to convert to Christianity (any denomination will do...) or they will be burned alive at the stake FYI:

https://www.dailyscripture.net/daily-meditation/

https://www.americanbible.org/resources/daily-bible-reading/

https://bible.usccb.org/daily-bible-reading

This ALSO will be monitored by Covenant EYES so you better start reading right now...

32 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Required Daily Reading... or you have to spend 10 days in jail and a $10K fine (once Republican Theo-Fascists have placed Dictator Trump back in control)... 

Also, all non-Christians including pagans, atheists, Jews, Muslims and Buddhists will be required to convert to Christianity (any denomination will do...) or they will be burned alive at the stake FYI:

https://www.dailyscripture.net/daily-meditation/

https://www.americanbible.org/resources/daily-bible-reading/

https://bible.usccb.org/daily-bible-reading

This ALSO will be monitored by Covenant EYES so you better start reading right now...

Not any Christianity.  Only those who believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible.  These are people who think the earth is 6-10K years old. It’s a narrow form of evangelicals.  Methodists. Out.  Presbyterians. Out. Catholics.  Out.  Lutherans.  Out. 

42 minutes ago, oblong said:

Not any Christianity.  Only those who believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible.  These are people who think the earth is 6-10K years old. It’s a narrow form of evangelicals.  Methodists. Out.  Presbyterians. Out. Catholics.  Out.  Lutherans.  Out. 

Definitely against the founders thoughts and coded in the Constitution in the Bill of Rights. James Madison, Patrick Henry, George Wythe, Thomas Jefferson and the Rev Gowan Pamphlet would like to have a word or three

19 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Ms Greene, maybe you need to look into a mirror. You just described yourself to a t

By "holding government accountable", I'm pretty sure she means something along the lines of getting the RINOs on board to impeach Crooked Joe Biden for his crime family activities.

18 hours ago, oblong said:

So funny because Presbyterianism is basically the root of literalist evangelicalism in America.

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

So funny because Presbyterianism is basically the root of literalist evangelicalism in America.

IDK, I wouldn't discount the contribution the Catholic Charismatic movement of the 60 and 70s made to today's fundamentalist Christianity either.

the traditional so-called 'mainstream' denominations always had a pretty wide distribution of views within them but the differences generally remain papered over until some issue comes along that just isn't bridgeable. For most of those mainstream denoms that issue turned out to be LGBT status. So for instance the "United Methodist Church", after something like 20+ yrs of internal strife, finally reached the point where the first word of their title had become meaningless. This  year (mostly) it has reorganized itself into a largely 'liberal' church, and the conservatives have left to form their own more conservative take on Wesley (the "Global Methodist Church"), The Presbyterians worked through similar issues a couple of decades ago, but it tended to be less dramatic as United P churches that wanted out were more likely to just quietly become independents. For various organizational reasons it harder for a Methodist church to not be part of a larger org. The Baptists meanwhile, have several sub orgs that also cover a wide theological spectrum. The Southern Baptist Council gets the most press but not all Baptists  churches are SBC.

Baptist, by definition, means independent.  There are larger groups of denominations that call themselves "Baptist", like Southern Baptist, that have a structure.  But anyone can form a church and call it Baptist.  You don't answer to anyone. You can join an affiliation which tells members that you believe "X,Y, and Z".  It's like a mission statement.  But Joe Bob Baptist Church on Groveland Avenue in one city has no link to Jim Crack Corn Baptist Church on Fremont Street in another city.  Nobody can come to you and say "You can't call yourself that".  But of course there are affiliations and whatnot that will hold you accountable if you wish to join up. And if you call yourself a Baptist church but are preaching God awful things about Mary and Saints then word will get out that you are too "Catholic".

The affiliatons and networks lead to a breeding ground.  Start a church.  Then a school. Then send those graduates to an associated "College" to churn out more pastors.  Then they go out and start their own church.  Multi Level Marketing that leads to a LIberty or Bob Jones University.  Then you have your cult.

How much of the church starting is a calling to preach or just to create a job for yourself?  Get 100 member families to donate $50 a week.... that's $15K a week plus some other stuff and you can bring in 1/3 of a million a year in revenue, minus your costs... a pastor finds himself making six figures.  Nothing stopping you. Nobody can tell you that you can't call your church that.

• Thanks 1

I find myself failing see charismatic and Presbyterian in the same breath. I can see several of the "newer" outgrowths of the church leaning toward what I consider charismatic in the sense of many of the Mega (not to be confused with MAGA) churches that sprouted beginning in the late 80s early 90s. Granted my association with any congregation ended about the time Brezhnev fell.

Now I have heard stories of the "new" charismatics of the Catholic Church

4 hours ago, oblong said:

How much of the church starting is a calling to preach or just to create a job for yourself?  Get 100 member families to donate $50 a week.... that's $15K a week plus some other stuff and you can bring in 1/3 of a million a year in revenue, minus your costs... a pastor finds himself making six figures.  Nothing stopping you. Nobody can tell you that you can't call your church that.

I  think Kenneth Copeland has said, probably not even realizing the the connection, that he started out in life wanting to be a rock musician.

Edited by gehringer_2

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I  think Kenneth Copeland has said, probably not even realizing the the connection, that he started out in life wanting to be a rock musician.

And he got far more money and sex from the cloth.  

my math was off in that. I was playing around with the numbers but the point remains. It’s just people getting people to pay to listen to them, like a guy with a substack or girl on Onlyfans. 

40 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Manchin just announced he isn't running for reelection.  That's the last time a "democrat" will hold that seat.  

Joe says he’s going to travel the country searching for folks in the middle of the political spectrum.