The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

That's the party of the working man right there.... out there threatening to punch the leader of the *checks notes* Teamsters lol

And here's the thing that gripes me. The "working folks" who badmouth the union because of their politics, but will gladly take the benefits the union negotiated. TBH I'm not well versed on the transportation industries agreement and whether there is or is not a two tiered system on pay and benefits.

My only experience was several years when I walked into a broadcast facility that was just about to vote on joining AFTRA (this was about 25 years ago. Full disclosure, my wife was a manager at another facility so I knew a bit about what to expect. I left the job before negations were completed, but my feelings at the time AFTRA was fairly toothless (before the merger with SAG). 

46 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

And here's the thing that gripes me. The "working folks" who badmouth the union because of their politics, but will gladly take the benefits the union negotiated. TBH I'm not well versed on the transportation industries agreement and whether there is or is not a two tiered system on pay and benefits.

My only experience was several years when I walked into a broadcast facility that was just about to vote on joining AFTRA (this was about 25 years ago. Full disclosure, my wife was a manager at another facility so I knew a bit about what to expect. I left the job before negations were completed, but my feelings at the time AFTRA was fairly toothless (before the merger with SAG). 

Supply chain workers get zero benefits from UAW deal. In fact, they will be asked to lower costs or lose the contract more than likely to help offset top tier profits. If supply chain threatens to unionize they will pull the plug and move to Mexico or a deep south state and reset salary to entry level in a heartbeat, their margins are too low. I have seen it happen many times. The W.A.R.N. Act is the escape hatch for supply chain companies to parachute out as soon as workers threaten uniziation. 60 days and you can close the doors no questions asked. Thank your local politician for that one.

https://legalaidatwork.org/factsheet/the-w-a-r-n-act-mass-layoffs-or-businessplant-closings/#:~:text=Can my employer lay me,fail to give the notice.

42 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Supply chain workers get zero benefits from UAW deal. In fact, they will be asked to lower costs or lose the contract more than likely to help offset top tier profits. If supply chain threatens to unionize they will pull the plug and move to Mexico or a deep south state and reset salary to entry level in a heartbeat, their margins are too low. I have seen it happen many times. The W.A.R.N. Act is the escape hatch for supply chain companies to parachute out as soon as workers threaten uniziation. 60 days and you can close the doors no questions asked. Thank your local politician for that one.

https://legalaidatwork.org/factsheet/the-w-a-r-n-act-mass-layoffs-or-businessplant-closings/#:~:text=Can my employer lay me,fail to give the notice.

Thank's got it. BTW my local Congress critter only cares about his kickbacks from Newport News ShipYard

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

They could pack up and go before WARN just as easily. WARN serves a purpose but a fairly small one in the overall scheme of things.

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

True, no one really cares about the worker. This is just a "See we tried to help" now about that vote....

It's the government's business to create an environment where business wants to stay enough to take care of their workers as well as society demands. There are lots of details to that but that basically a big piece is that everything you do to create a better all round society helps. That's the job. That's why 'kill the beast' and 'starve it till you can drown it in the bathtub' is such lunacy. A well run gov at each level is the key to a lot of things Americans want but they've been brainwashed into thinking they can get those things by magic instead.

• Thanks 1

The Gov apparently has a reprieve until mid January.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/14/us/politics/government-shutdown-vote-mike-johnson.html

"The legislation would fund federal agencies at current spending levels with two different expiration dates: Jan. 19 for one set of government programs and Feb. 2 for another set. That timing would allow lawmakers more time to try to finish off the individual annual spending bills, as many conservatives have demanded. The bill did not include any military aid to Israel and Ukraine."