The 118th United States Congress

mtutiger

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

This should mean Trump is on his last legs. Which he might literally be.

It's just nice to see the Democrats galvanized for a changed.    It was like that for Bill Clinton and for Barack Obama, but there was a lack of energy for Kerry, Gore and Hillary.    It's far from over, but the other side is looking weird, and extreme and far from the mainstream.    More life-long Republicans and stepping up against him now too.    Ones that aren't running for anything and aren't scared of the MAGAs.           I mean, these are people who are NOT liberal by any stretch, but they also aren't crazy.    There's a lot more people like that than we think, but I think they are afraid to speak up.

I am afraid to put a Harris sign in front of my house because the I don't want my house or car vandalized. 

But here's the thing for the Republicans.   This disease has spread and it's gonna take several rounds of chemo to kill it. 

I think Trump is losing it mentally.   He didn't have much to begin with, but if he can still string a sentence together in 2028, he'll end up being their nominee again.     They won't be able to stop him and he won't be able to walk away.   His ego needs so much attention.     

After the election WHEN he loses, he'll get sentenced to house arrest and then Biden will probably give him some sort of provisional pardon - maybe part of it is that he can't run for office again, but Trump will go all Hoffa and ignore that.    Biden will do that to try to heal the country.  It won't.     It took Ireland 7 decades to get through The Troubles.   We're having our own version of that right now.  

Whatever happened with Ireland?  Growing up and into my adulthood in the 90's it was IRA this and IRA that... we had movies like Patriot Games and The Devil's Own and In the Name of the Father... and U2 singing songs... then it just went away.  

20 minutes ago, oblong said:

Whatever happened with Ireland?  Growing up and into my adulthood in the 90's it was IRA this and IRA that... we had movies like Patriot Games and The Devil's Own and In the Name of the Father... and U2 singing songs... then it just went away.  

They had peace accords and the EU and brexit

40 minutes ago, oblong said:

It didn't just go away.  It started eroding in the 1990s.     Can't mention the IRA without talking about the UVF on the other side, which was often much more brutal and less discriminant.        What really started happening is in the 1980s when the world started opening up to people and became smaller, millions of younger Irish people saw that their way of life, the ways of hate, were not normal - that the world did not operate that way.     As those younger people in the 1980s started to rise to more powerful positions they started pushing out the old guard,  the bitter people who lived, breathed and thrived on this ongoing civil war.   Those old bastards are dying off, and there aren't many left and when they die off, so does this appetite for hatred.     The saddest part of The Troubles is that the vast majority of Irish people didn't care about Catholic/Protestant nonsense, they just wanted better jobs and better opportunities and didn't care for the divisions.   Took a long, long time, but they won out.    We will too.   After most of us are gone.     This vitriol, which started with Limbaugh and Gingrich, is peaking right now and it will peak awhile longer, but it will start to fade as people realize this is getting them nowhere. We're going to have to go through a few more Charlottesvilles/January 6/George Floyd moments to get there, but we will.    

Edited by Motor City Sonics

23 hours ago, oblong said:

They joined the European Union.

4 hours ago, chasfh said:

They joined the European Union.

Really took the starch out of the potato when they did that.   "We are not a member of this empire!  We are a member of this collective body with a semi-receptive bureaucracy that sometimes acts in our interests but is always a lot better than those bastards in Whitehall!"

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

as expected, Johnson has caved. Now the only question is whether his conference will vacate him for his effort, or not..

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/22/us/congress-spending-deal-johnson.html

I've been wondering whether the Democrats are strategically praising Mike Johnson to create a rift in the fabric of republican political hegemony and break them apart just before the election here. That would be some OG **** if true.

32 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I've been wondering whether the Democrats are strategically praising Mike Johnson to create a rift in the fabric of republican political hegemony and break them apart just before the election here. That would be some OG **** if true.

And the one thing you can count on when a GOP House speaker brings a bad bill to the floor without being able to count the votes and claims "There is no alternate plan", is that there is an alternate plan.  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by gehringer_2