2023 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Givony has us taking Whitmore now with Victor, Miller, Scoot and Amen going 1 through 4 in that order. I believe his last mock had the same top 4 but he had us taking Walker instead. 

Did he post that mock today after the Williams hire?

I find that interesting because I see Whitmore as less of a possibility now that Williams is aboard with his quick ball movement offense.

I'm fine with Whitmore or Hendricks. Probably leaning to Hendricks more now, but either would make me happy.

Not sold on Hamidou Thompson, but I can see the upside. Probably too much of a project for such a high profile coach..

Walker feels like a Weaver player and that scares me. If you peel back the numbers on where and how he scored (and didn't), his offense really scares me. I don't want to draft a glue guy with the #5 pick.

I also think getting Monty really opens up the possibility we trade this pick.

On 6/2/2023 at 6:41 PM, Deleterious said:

Gary Parish from CBS sports reported a projected first round pick had such a bad workout he walked off the court. He was out of shape and later seen using a vape pen.

It's a podcast so I can't link it.

Jalen Carter is gonna play in the NBA?

Everyone that has an Athletic subscription should do themselves a favor right now.  Cancel your subscription.    It won’t actually stop your subscription but it will stop them from charging you $74.99 when your bargain year expires and you forgot to change it before it automatically reups.  No refunds once it renews and you are f’d and paying full price.

My three guys I would love to add in the draft but not at #5.  The Pistons would need to add a pick (or trade back) much like they did for Duren last year.  Honestly, all three could sneak into the top 10 so maybe Detroit wouldn't have a shot at them even in a trade.  In no particular order:

Kobe Bufkin - I barely knew who this guy was when he declared.  I have a friend who is really into the draft and  he said Bufkin will be graded as a top 10 player from this class in 10 years.  Wont be a star but will be a very good role player.  Does nothing really elite but also does nothing really bad.

Cason Wallace - I admit part of my love for him is the long list of Kentucky guards who had OK college careers and exploded in the NBA.  Fox, SGA, Booker, Maxey, etc.  But Wallace is an elite defender and arguable the best perimeter defender in the draft.  Would instantly be the Pistons best defender.  Would add depth to the guard position.  In a pinch he could play a little PG.

Derek Lively - But we already have 3 centers!  No we don't.  We have Duren and then a bunch of guys who are not so good.  I compare him to Kessler or Williams from last year.  Kessler was great all season.  Williams sat the bench until the trade deadline and Charlotte traded Plumlee.  Williams was inserted into the starting lineup and after that Charlotte had the #1 ranked defense in the league.  Lively has those same skills.  Great shot blocker and can guard the perimeter a bit.  What Vecenie says about him:

Lively struggled to start the season, but by the end of it, there was not a more impactful defender in college basketball. He’s an elite rim protector who averaged 2.5 blocks per game this past season in 20 minutes. He defends ball screens well and can do so in a variety of different schemes. He can hard hedge and recover, he can drop, and he can play at the level. He’s mobile and runs the court very well. Offensively, he’s extremely limited right now, but Lively has immense tools with a 7-7 wingspan that portends potential to not just be a good defender but a great one.

Leonard Miller is my honorable mention.  He played for the Ignite last year and I watched a ton of their games for Scoot.  Miller really ended up impressing me.  Vecenie is also a big fan:

I’m calling my shot on Miller. This is earlier than just about everyone will have him. But he’s a 6-10 forward who is a terrific, fluid athlete with unique body mechanics that allow him to get defenders off balance as he handles the ball as a driver or in transition. He’s an elite finisher with incredible touch, having made 67 percent of his shots at the rim.  In 14 games from Feb. 8 onward, Miller averaged 20 points, 13 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game with one steal and one block. He shot 55.6 percent from the field, 37 percent from 3 and 82 percent from the line. He figured out the G League quickly last season, really his first season of high-level basketball. I think he has real upside long term, and I bet he rises as people see him throughout the process.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

can you play duren and lively at the same time and have any semblance of court spacing?

Nope.  

It would have to be a two man rotation for the next few years.  See which one you like and then trade the other to fill roster holes.   

He plays with Victor so watched most of his games.  I don't really see it to be honest.

You have to be careful when an anonymous source says the Thunder made a promise.  Sam Presti is the best drafting GM in the league and it isn't even close IMO.  So agents will use the Thunder to create buzz about their client.  If Sam wants him he must be good!

One thing about Coulibaly is how young he is.  I believe he just turned 18.  

Agreed on Cason Wallace. The guy just has good 10+ year pro written all over him, probably the best 2 way guard in this draft. He'd be a great fit for a team like Houston if they were able to trade back into the lottery or traded back.

I see this sentiment among Pistons fans all over social media that they love Cam Whitmore. He has some fun highlights but having watched a lot of him this year (the guy in the Pistons range I keyed on most along with Miller), I'm struggling to see the fit. I'm not saying he's Saddiq Bey but he's a ballstopper like Bey was, once he gets the ball it's not likely leaving his hands as he dribbles and dribbles and dribbles some more then tries to bully his way to the basket. I hated it when Bey did that and I see this happening again with Whitmore. If he doesn't become more consistent with the 3 and with his defense, he's going to drive Pistons fans nuts with hero ball and low IQ plays.

Guys like Walker and Hendricks aren't sexy picks but they're much better fits for a guard dominated team that doesn't need wings that like to dominate the ball. They're better defenders than Whitmore as well. Not as much upside perhaps but much better fits IMO.

Edited by NYLion

Im still on the D*ck bandwagon. I know people question his defense but Ive read mixed reports about that. No he will never be a lockdown defender but according to guys like Givony he shouldn't be a liability either.

I just love his shooting and most importantly his basketball iq. Scouts say that he just knows where to go and be at all times and has really good court vision.

The thought of pairing a guy like that with Cade just sounds too promising to pass up to me considering the fact that every other prospect in our range has some question marks about their game as well. 

**** isn't coming off the board until around pick #10, so he could be a target if they trade down. Still though, this team needs 2-way wings. Only one team in the bottom third of the NBA on defense has made it past the first round in the past 5 years. With Cade, Ivey, ****, and Bogey we'd be historically bad.

I'd like **** off the bench as a 6th man, but I'm not spending a top 10 pick on a bench player when this team desperately needs 2-way Forward talent.

If there were any true 2 way wings then sure take them but I don't see any. Some that may have that potential but **** has the same potential to be one.

He is a 3 level scorer who has good length, moves his feet well and works hard on defense. Who's to say he can't get coached up to be a solid defender?

As far as the Kennard comparison **** can finish at the rim much better than Luke and has more length and passing ability. They are both white and can shoot though 

Edited by RandyMarsh

they passed on donovan mitchell to take kennard because they "needed shooting" and kennard was a good shooter in college.

if they traded back to draft gradey, it seems like the same play.  a guy who can shoot and they need shooting.

gradey seems like he's destined to play for golden state.

• Thanks 1