2023 NBA Draft Prelude

Deleterious

I think Gradey slides into the top 10 so he is probably only in play if they trade back.  I do like him a lot though.

This draft is odd.  After Victor and Scoot you don't have a ton of star potential.  But you have like 15 guys who could be extremely good role players.  

I think Gradey is more than just a shooter though, I think he is a well rounded offensive player that can do a ton of things well that just so happens to have elite level shooting and iq.

If you want an offensive player that isn't going to dribble the air out of the ball but instead make quick decisions, find the open man along with the ability to take it to the rim I think he is just that player. 

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Booker is a very average 3PT shooter.  

Poor mans Klay Thompson for **** on offense.  Not nearly as good on defense unfortunately.  But I feel he can be at the minimum a neutral defender.  

would you take gradey at 5?  would you take him over hendricks?

41 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If there were any true 2 way wings then sure take them but I don't see any. Some that may have that potential but **** has the same potential to be one.

He is a 3 level scorer who has good length, moves his feet well and works hard on defense. Who's to say he can't get coached up to be a solid defender?

As far as the Kennard comparison **** can finish at the rim much better than Luke and has more length and passing ability. They are both white and can shoot though 

**** can finish at the rim. Boy, if we draft him at least the jokes will be funny.

I don't know ****...

I like what I see of Whitmore though as he appears to be comfortable off the ball which would allow Ivey and Cade to have it in their hands more often.  Will he become an black hole on offense?  It's a risk I am willing to take

• Like 2

Even though I still prefer Gradey I'm not married to him or anything. I'd be fine with any number of players. Assuming Scoot or Miller don't drop I think my preference would be...

Gradey

Hendricks

Walker

Amen

Whitmore

Also I'm not too concerned with "reaching" for one at 5, I think where were at there isn't much difference between 5 or the end of the lottery so to me if you're willing to take somebody at 10 you can take them at 5. Of course ideally we'd able to trade back and still pick up one of these guys but I don't see a situation where that happens unless somebody like Scoot or Miller drops to us but in that case we probably be better off just taking them. 

20 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I don't know ****...

I like what I see of Whitmore though as he appears to be comfortable off the ball which would allow Ivey and Cade to have it in their hands more often.  Will he become an black hole on offense?  It's a risk I am willing to take

One thing with Whitmore that will mesh well with somebody like Cade is that he's an excellent cutter so there will be plenty of opportunities for good looks at the rim but my issue with him is when he has the ball, it tends to stick which is exactly what they don't need on wing and is what was one of the biggest issues with Bey.

I feel like guys like Walker and Hendricks (don't know much about Ausar) fit better in an offense that emphasizes ball movement. If you want the better ISO player, that's Whitmore, but I don't think that's what the Pistons need.

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Time for one of the worst draft analysts in the world.  This guy had Killian Hayes as the #1 pick in his class.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

He has one of Whitmore's strengths as "feel for the game". I'm a fan of Whitmore, but that's literally his biggest weakness.

He has "Interior Scoring" as one of Walker strengths, even though the guy shies away from contact worse than Killian. Again, one of his biggest weaknesses.

I'm not sure anyone else has Amen that low (#6). I'm not sold on the Hamidou twins, but even I'm not letting Amen drop to #6.

Edited by Betrayer

51 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Problem is, #3 and possibly #4 also want to trade out.  So even if the Pistons end up finding a trade partner it will be at a discount since so many want to move.

id be shocked if they traded 6 and 11 for 5.

portland trading out would be dumb if scoot is there.

Considering the draft doesn't seem to have a consensus 4th or 5th prospect it seems weird that they would want to move into one of those spots.

I guess they must really like a certain player and want to do whatever it takes to ensure they get him.

I think a dream scenario for them would be to get Amen and then get my boy **** at 11 who I think is a perfect fit for them.

Edited by RandyMarsh

53 minutes ago, buddha said:

That is a good deal for them actually.  Dallas gave up #5 and the following years 1st round pick for Luka.  So 6 and 11 is about right if you don't think you can get your guy at 6.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

That is a good deal for them actually.  Dallas gave up #5 and the following years 1st round pick for Luka.  So 6 and 11 is about right if you don't think you can get your guy at 6.

everything i read has this as a 2 person draft, maybe 3 with miller.  why would portand trade out of that spot?  i dont get that part of it.  and next year's draft is supposed to be historically bad, so why take a first next year?

i guess if you can guarantee the next luka doncic will be there, sure.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

everything i read has this as a 2 person draft, maybe 3 with miller.  why would portand trade out of that spot?  i dont get that part of it.  and next year's draft is supposed to be historically bad, so why take a first next year?

i guess if you can guarantee the next luka doncic will be there, sure.

Orlando must see it as a 5 person draft.

Not saying I would trade from 6 to 5.  Just saying them giving up the extra 1st round pick is about the right price compared to years past.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

The only way I see that happening is if Miller or Amen Thompson drop and even then the Pistons would likely have to add #31 plus maybe one of their young centers?

41 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The only way I see that happening is if Miller or Amen Thompson drop and even then the Pistons would likely have to add #31 plus maybe one of their young centers?

adding james wiseman would be addition by subtraction.