Random Randomness.

On 5/21/2024 at 1:37 AM, Deleterious said:

I love trivia like this.  This is up there with Reno being more west than Los Angeles.  Huh, what?  No way.  Looks at map.  Damn, its true.

On 5/21/2024 at 9:22 AM, oblong said:

As a kid driving to TN every year I hated Ohio.  As an adult we used to make that trip very early in the morning to beat the Cincy rush hour.  Last month I went by myself and Ohio didn't bother me until I got to Dayton.  From Toledo to Dayton it was great, it's cruise control time and little traffic.  As a driver it makes a huge difference I think.  

South of Dayton has grown so much over the years that Dayton seems more and more like a suburb of Cincinnati.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 1:16 PM, Edman85 said:

I've been fortunate to meet some old college buddies of his, including one who was involved with a love triangle. One of them stole the other's girl.

Did he pitch for the Yankees?

1 hour ago, casimir said:

South of Dayton has grown so much over the years that Dayton seems more and more like a suburb of Cincinnati.

and the same thing on the other side of the border into KY.  It takes a minute.  Then you have a brief respite until the hell that is Lexington.   I get off 75 not long after and then it's 2 1/2 hours of joy as it's highways and winding back roads through the hills.  Beautiful country.  Yet each time I go there's more and more development.  If I go back soon I'm going to count the # of Dollar Generals.  I'd say I saw at least 15 of them.

Has anyone submitted baseball cards to PSA for grading? I have a few cards that seem like they could be worth it, but the process isn't cheap. The younger me actually made good decisions though and put them in hard plastic cases quite some time ago, so they actually do appear to be in perfect condition.

26 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

Has anyone submitted baseball cards to PSA for grading? I have a few cards that seem like they could be worth it, but the process isn't cheap. The younger me actually made good decisions though and put them in hard plastic cases quite some time ago, so they actually do appear to be in perfect condition.

I have done it a number of times. Make sure you use PSA there are cheaoer options but the industry grades their quality differently. I would check with a local card shop to see if you can piggy back their shipment or send 10 or more cards to get a better rate. Last time I sent out to PSA it was a 6 month turn around.

59 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I have done it a number of times. Make sure you use PSA there are cheaoer options but the industry grades their quality differently. I would check with a local card shop to see if you can piggy back their shipment or send 10 or more cards to get a better rate. Last time I sent out to PSA it was a 6 month turn around.

Definitely using PSA. I really only have three cards that might be worth four figures. Everything else is in the $75-$150 range. My plan was to submit two of the three and see how that goes, before sending a bunch of others. I don't care too much about how long it takes. I'm not in any hurry.

• Like 1

So he got pulled over in October, which apparently led to a ticket for driving with a suspended license, and he was smart enough to get a lawyer, but they never followed through on following up with SoS to ensure the incorrect suspended license ticket was incorrect?   

Wouldn't that be the first thing to bring up to the judge?

6 hours ago, Deleterious said:

It was Pepsi sales falling as much as Dr Pepper increasing. From what I've been reading, the entire old style soda market is declining. It's something I've gradually given up the last few years. It's an easy place to cut out empty calories and without doing too much else other than dropping the soda I did drop a few lbs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It was Pepsi sales falling as much as Dr Pepper increasing. From what I've been reading, the entire old style soda market is declining. It's something I've gradually given up the last few years. It's an easy place to cut out empty calories and without doing too much else other than dropping the soda I did drop a few lbs.

Basically in the same boat along with the fact that one of my meds does not play well with carbonated drinks. Outside of an occasional Petite Verdot or a glass of beer at the local brewery, I'm down to plain old water. Coffee is next on my list of drinks to go.

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yep.  I was addicted to it then around 2006 or so I moved from regular to diet, then quit diet.  I lost about 10 pounds immediately after Coke then another 10 after Diet.  I was consuming maybe 40 ounces a day.

The only time I have it now, which is very rare, would be in a mixed drink at something like a wedding.  After a 10 mile race last September downtown I couldn't find a post race water but my wife gave me a coke, took one sip, and my body composition after 10 miles in 75 degree sunny weather in the afternoon  didn't agree.  It tasted awful.  

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I never drink pop, but I had a Vernor's the other day solely because you never see it on tap in restaurants.  

• Like 1

Just got an iPhone 15 Pro Max, decided to speed test the 5G, and … wow. Just … wow.

Get a load of how much data the test down used.

IMG_1655.thumb.png.696ad62e6c365553b0e8263805544072.png

Almost 1.4 gigs. That’s “gigs” with a “g”.

My first-ever computer had a hard drive that was 40 megs, with an “m”. I now have dozens and dozens of Excel spreadsheets bigger than that. 

In 1988 a friend of mine traded a 10MB external hard drive to someone for 4 Iron Maiden CD's.

Growing up I had a C-64 and in 1992 I bought a 40 MB 386 system for about $800.