Random Randomness.

I also remember going from a 300 to 600 baud modem... maybe even a 1200.  That is what got me hooked on message boards.  There were "sites" you could call and trade games and some hosted boards.     

In the spring of 1990 somebody went on a collecting kick and bought all of my equipment for around $300.  I had to work as a kid for all of my stuff but with baseball season coming up I wouldn't be able to so that financed my spring. 

Later on a relative had their old C64 in storage and I got it up and running and was able to play some of the old games.  Then it crapped out and I threw it away in a purge.  I still get a kick out of messing around with some emulators and there's youtube videos going through the games.  Maniac Mansion baby!

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Our C-64 used a cassette player/recorder.  We upgraded to the 1541 disk drive later on.

Someone would probably claim the 1541 disk drive was woke today.

1200px-Commodore-Datasette-C2N-Mk1-Front61PrPrX7otL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I worked at a radio station where the new owners were talked into buying an automation system that consisted of the C64 and a couple of the cassette drives (for commercials primarily) I could never get the damn thing to work the way it was "supposed" to.

Wish they had included a picture of whatever they use to transport 900,000 pounds.

I did laugh at them saying 280 feet stretches longer than a football field.  

Intel is trucking a 916,000-pound 'Super Load' across Ohio to its new fab, spawning road closures over nine days

Ohio is seeing the effects of Intel's growth, but maybe not in the way state officials had hoped. Intel will put a 916,000-pound "super load" on the road in Ohio on Wednesday, for a trip that will cover approximately 150 miles in nine days and snarl traffic for over a week. The price of progress!

Intel's new campus coming to New Albany, OH, is in heavy construction, and around 20 super loads are being ferried across Ohio's roads by the Ohio Department of Transportation after arriving at a port of the Ohio River via barge. Four of these loads, including the one hitting the road now, weigh around 900,000 pounds — that's 400 metric tons, or 76 elephants. The super loads were first planned for February but were delayed due to the immense planning workload. Large crowds are estimated to accumulate on the route, potentially slowing it even further.

Intel's 916,000-pound shipment is a "cold box," a self-standing air-processor structure that facilitates the cryogenic technology needed to fabricate semiconductors. The box is 23 feet tall, 20 feet wide, and 280 feet long, stretching longer than a football field. The immense scale of the cold box necessitates a transit process that moves at a "parade pace" of 5-10 miles per hour.

9 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Wish they had included a picture of whatever they use to transport 900,000 pounds.

I did laugh at them saying 280 feet stretches longer than a football field.  

Intel is trucking a 916,000-pound 'Super Load' across Ohio to its new fab, spawning road closures over nine days

If the load is 280 feet, I suppose the load plus the transporter is well over 300 - probably 350 or more. I was commuting on US 23 when they were building one of the big windfarms and they were transporting 75M (220ft) long turbine blades.  Nowhere near the weight of course but still stupid big to be on the freeway.

Didn't matter what he was in or who he was playing.   A pot-smoking college prof,  a smart ass Army surgeon, a scientist trying to stop an alien invasion or an evil President overseeing kids killing each other as a game show - Donald Sutherland was a brilliant actor.   Most actors are short, so it's harder for tall actors to get parts, but some break through because they are just great actors (James Cromwell comes to mind).   And he had a great speaking voice too.    But his best part was one of the most subtly brilliant performances in film history - as a heartbroken husband desperately trying to get his wife to acknowledge the death of a son and the pain of another in Ordinary People.   He didn't even get an Oscar nomination for it.  Probably because he was very political.  One of the biggest snubs in Oscar history.     A fine Canadian.   R.I.P. Donald Sutherland.   88+ years is a good run

• Like 1

This scene, this right here.  I put it up there with the brilliance of conveying emotion without having to raise a voice or get animated.  It's so subtle, but powerful.    Right up there with Paul Newman's summation scene in The Verdict.   Great actors who use their face and voice so perfectly.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This scene, this right here.  I put it up there with the brilliance of conveying emotion without having to raise a voice or get animated.  It's so subtle, but powerful.    Right up there with Paul Newman's summation scene in The Verdict.   Great actors who use their face and voice so perfectly.  

Such a good scene.... and I don't care what the Scorsese people all say, Ordinary People was an Oscar-worthy film.

• Like 1

Now reading about that movie, I had forgotten that his role came down to him or Gene Hackman....

Hackman is phenomenal, but I don't know if he would have quite gotten to the emotional depth that a movie like that required.

Sutherland won an Emmy for Citizen X.    I can get past the accent issues.   I loved this movie.  

I like how in Chernoby and The Death Of Stalin, they just let the actors speak in their natural accents and didn't worry about trying to sound Russian.    

On 6/5/2024 at 7:11 AM, oblong said:

In 1988 a friend of mine traded a 10MB external hard drive to someone for 4 Iron Maiden CD's.

Growing up I had a C-64 and in 1992 I bought a 40 MB 386 system for about $800.

My first computer in 1992 was a Packard Bell 486 sx20 with 2 mb RAM and 40 mb hard drive which, along with a monitor and printer, cost close to $3,000, or at least I think I remember it doing so. Maybe I'm misremembering ...

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

My first computer in 1992 was a Packard Bell 486 sx20 with 2 mb RAM and 40 mb hard drive which, along with a monitor and printer, cost close to $3,000, or at least I think I remember it doing so. Maybe I'm misremembering ...

We got a very early IBM in our office maybe 82-83? In '84 when the Mac came out I brought on home on a 1 week trial, but couldn't deal with the tiny screen. We had had some Lisas at the engin school so I knew the prototype of the apple GUI but the Mac seem too cramped so I bought a build your own clone - must have been end of 85? The Mac was $~2500 at the time so I know I spent less than that, but maybe not much - that would have been with a 10MB HD. It was an 8088 which I souped up by upgrading to a Z20 CPU. I mean, can you say - Wow!

31 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That sounds about right. I didn’t get a 486 for that reason but they were definitely around.  It served me well for a few years. 

I'm fascinated at the way that thing exploded and her ability to remain anonymous.  I suspect some late night show will make a big reveal out of it.

Not since Tiger King has this country been so united.. (as the meme said).

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm fascinated at the way that thing exploded and her ability to remain anonymous.  I suspect some late night show will make a big reveal out of it.

Not since Tiger King has this country been so united.. (as the meme said).

I meant to post something similar last week.  I can’t remember something that came out of nowhere and take off and be literally be everywhere in under 48 hours.   

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I meant to post something similar last week.  I can’t remember something that came out of nowhere and take off and be literally be everywhere in under 48 hours.   

My wife was getting mad at me for constantly playing them... then there's a reel about the wife being mad.... then she start getting it on her feed related to topics she's interested in.... and laughing.

I think the Oilers girl was jealous.  Took away her heat.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

This probably doesn't rise to the level of pet peeve, which is why it's not going there, but I guess it wouldn't not belong there. Anyhow ...

We've all had the experience of being humped for a survey after a customer service phone call. Almost all companies with phone-based customer service do so now. A lot of time they do so before you get a CSR on the phone, so you feel obligated to say yes you'll take it because you wonder whether they won't take your call if say you won't.

And sometimes it's an email after the call, like this one:

image.thumb.png.26cc70c7ff29abb294342bb88ca52609.png

Conceptually, I like the idea of taking this kind of survey because I have had the idea long established in my head that they would ask questions about how they can improve their service, preferably with a text box I can put comments into.

But they almost never have that, and the question above says exactly why. The first, last, and only thing they want to know is, do you like us and would recommend us, and give us a 10!

So, any survey that leads with this question, I never take it, because it's clear as day that it will have nothing to do with improving customer service, and everything to do with marketing their brand as one that customers love and would recommend. It annoys me to no end, because it's so gaslighty, leading you to believe they want to actually hear about the customer service experience you just had. Hey, Synchrony: I'm not here to help you promote your business to other customers. Do your own goddamn marketing heavy-lifting. Or at least pay me for my time helping you with it. I'm a professional, after all.

Maybe this was a pet peeve after all ... 😏

Edited by chasfh

1 hour ago, casimir said:

First night I’ve heard cicadas this summer.

We had six weeks of constant droning during the day from early May to mid June. Not as annoying as local folk made out on social media, more like constant white noise.

The tree frogs a couple of weeks ago were a different story