Random Randomness.

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I watched Dazed And Confused yesterday.   No, it's not a documentary about the Tigers front office. 

Anyway, I hadn't seen it in a long time.    This horrifying thought came to me.   That if they made a new Dazed And Confused with the same time period in flashback, it would be about the last day of school in 2005.  

If you showed me two random photos of kids assembled in the auditorium of a high school, one from 2005 and one from 2022, I’m not sure whether I could tell you which is which. But two different years, and I could definitely tell you which is 1976 and which is 1993.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The Wizard of Oz in 4K looks great.

Ohh!!!! Nice. The Emerald City sceens have to look amazing with all that green. I need to watch this in 4k.

As an aside, I always remember our friend Ed Goldsworthy despised this movie and insisted that people only liked it because of childhood memories. Good ol Ed! I miss that guy.

1 hour ago, Biff Mayhem said:

On another note, about once a year I get a class action settlement notice from somewhere and I always enter it because "why not".  I've received payments from all of them; one for $5 and another was well over $100. So, again, why not?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/15/tech/facebook-internet-tracking-settlement/index.html

My wife got $300-something from Facebook on this one.

I never get anything. In fact whenever I have sent these in, I never hear back. I’m obviously doing it wrong.

7 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

On another note, about once a year I get a class action settlement notice from somewhere and I always enter it because "why not".  I've received payments from all of them; one for $5 and another was well over $100. So, again, why not?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/15/tech/facebook-internet-tracking-settlement/index.html

I won like $11 on the milk class-action, but it took 8 years to get it - & they paid me with an online credit card that I couldn't access.

• Haha 1

This is so crazy that I almost think the Journal is getting trolled.

Inside Saudi Arabia’s Plan to Build a Skyscraper That Stretches for 75 Miles

What urban planners came up with in response are plans for the world’s largest structure: two buildings up to 1,600 feet tall, running parallel for 75 miles in a line across coastal, mountain and desert terrain, connected via walkways, according to hundreds of pages of confidential planning documents that lay out the idea for the first time in detail.

The project—dubbed the Mirror Line—builds on a previous announcement by Prince Mohammed of plans to create a linear community and is expected to cost up to a trillion dollars and house about five million people when fully completed, according to people aware of the plan and the documents, viewed by The Wall Street Journal.

A high-speed train will run under the mirrored buildings, the documents, which are from last autumn, show. To feed its residents, the project plans vertical farming integrated into the buildings. For entertainment, the Mirror Line plans a sports stadium up to 1,000 feet above the ground. It will also boast a marina for yachts that lies underneath an arch in the two buildings.

So was that tweet supposed to do something?  I mean, yeah putting a dog or cat down blows, been there done that, cried like a baby (and I never do that)...also went to work the day after my brothers funeral...this is what adults do.  No one ever puts themselves in the boss/managers position.  Dude is probably working double shifts all over the place because no one can be bothered to work a "menial" job like that.  Are we supposed to hate the boss, hate Starbucks or jobs in general?

Can we have sympathy for the girl who put the dog down, AND the boss?  Or is that not allowed?  Do we have to demonize the boss because he is a big meanie?

I won't have sympathy for people who treat their employees like crap and then complain that "nobody wants to work".  It's time employers take responsibility and not expect that they are guaranteed a work force on THEIR terms.   With so many job openings out there employees have the upper hand and it's time for bosses and managers to adapt, like employees are always expected to do.  

A grieving employee owes nothing to an employer when that employee has options.  The employer wouldn't think twice about cutting that person loose if they had the upper hand so now the roles are reversed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/1/2022 at 11:07 AM, oblong said:

I won't have sympathy for people who treat their employees like crap and then complain that "nobody wants to work".  It's time employers take responsibility and not expect that they are guaranteed a work force on THEIR terms.   With so many job openings out there employees have the upper hand and it's time for bosses and managers to adapt, like employees are always expected to do.  

A grieving employee owes nothing to an employer when that employee has options.  The employer wouldn't think twice about cutting that person loose if they had the upper hand so now the roles are reversed.  

When Diego died I missed the day of and the next day.   I was given Bereavement Pay for those two days.  For a dog.  They get it.   

• Like 4