Random Randomness.

35 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

There were several Aurora like pictures on my social media feed earlier this week. Mostly in the northern part of the Shenandoah Valley. I'm wondering if it may have been a precursor to this event.

the SO has become a bit of an Aurora tracker. It's been active on and off most of the month but can't see much during the fuller phases of the moon (or cloudy weather of course!). Monday night there was visible aurora just west of town in Ann Arbor, but at least where we were there was no pattern, it was just sort of uniform background glow so not very exciting. I took a photo and there was decent red/green in it so no question is was aurora.

48 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the SO has become a bit of an Aurora tracker. It's been active on and off most of the month but can't see much during the fuller phases of the moon (or cloudy weather of course!). Monday night there was visible aurora just west of town in Ann Arbor, but at least where we were there was no pattern, it was just sort of uniform background glow so not very exciting. I took a photo and there was decent red/green in it so no question is was aurora.

We tend to be a bit far south and the back yard faces south. Too much light pollution out the front door.
I  have been able to see a couple night time launches from Wallops Island.

On 10/3/2024 at 1:16 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

Listening to the Tigers radio broadcast the last two days, there have been ads for Superior Asphalt which are apparently voiced by the owners daughter. You’d think she’d take the time fully anúnciate the word “Superior” but just rushed it down to “Super Asphalt”. 

Sue. Peer. E. Or. Say it. SAY IT!!!!!

This is amazing.  It's equivalent to the stepping stones the Gemini program accomplished in the bridge between the Mercury and Apollo lunar missions.  You had to prove you could stay in space a long time (eating, sleeping, drinking, etc - many doctors thought humans wouldn't be able to do that), that you could go outside the capsule, that you could rendezvous with another vehicle, that you could dock, that you could change trajectories, control your reentry....  this is a stepping stone like that.  Being able to control the descent of a booster like that and catch it provides a foundation for building blocks to an eventual mars mission and perhaps moon stations.  NOt just about being able to quickly turn around a booster for another flight but to provide the precision needed.  This was a big deal.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What ever happened to indented paragraphs? 🤔

Technology casualty. Double line spacing and variable kerning to justify lines on both ends. When we wrote long hand on individual sheets of paper, who wanted to waste a line? When its print on a screen and the printer does 20/sheets per minute or it never gets printed at all, it's hard to beat the look of blocked paragraphs. Printed books still use indents, but they probably still care about page count.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know whether I missed a critical change to the Zillow app? I like it when I see an interesting house somewhere and I want to know what the house value is, and I would use the Zillow app for that. But when I tried to do that today I could access only properties that were for sale, for rent, or recently sold, and not any property I wanted to assess. Anyone know anything about this?

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Does anyone know whether I missed a critical change to the Zillow app? I like it when I see an interesting house somewhere and I want to know what the house value is, and I would use the Zillow app for that. But when I tried to do that today I could access only properties that were for sale, for rent, or recently sold, and not any property I wanted to assess. Anyone know anything about this?

I checked and no difference for me. You can also try RedFin

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I just tried our sub, took a bit of maneuvering (look at recent sales) but it seems to be working.