Week Eighteen: Detroit Lions (8-8) @ Green Bay Packers (8-8)

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah there's no sugar coating Goff did not play very well(even though if you add that 75 yard Jamo TD that was taken away his numbers would look alot better) but he didn't turn the ball over and he made some big 3rd/4th down throws. If your QB plays like that in a "bad game" in tough conditions then you can live with it, especially if you have a strong running game like we have and should continue to have in the near future. 

Goff played well in the clutch moments which I place a lot of value on and, AGAIN, didn't turn it over. It's tough to play against good defenses in the cold on the road and he handled it well I thought, answered a lot of questions.

With that said, I wouldn't mind take a late round flier on a developmental QB but there should be no question that Goff is the guy for the next couple of years at least.

19 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Goff played well in the clutch moments which I place a lot of value on and, AGAIN, didn't turn it over. It's tough to play against good defenses in the cold on the road and he handled it well I thought, answered a lot of questions.

In 20 degree weather, just not sure I expected a whole lot different from either team tonight. This seemed destined to be an old school, black and blue NFC North match-up. Just was never gonna be an "air it out" type game.

Either way, the numbers don't lie, he was, both in terms of QBR and QB Rating, the best QB in their division and was a Top 10 overall in both categories. It's always smart to look to the future, but you would think the argument about the short to medium term would be put to bed by now.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

That’s nuts.  

Sad:

- No Detroit team has won a playoff series since 2013. Wings beat Ducks in 1st round that year before losing to the Hawks, Tigers beat the A's in ALDS before losing to the Red Sox in the ALCS

- Pistons, Red Wings and Lions all made the playoffs in 2016 and the Tigers stayed in WC contention until the final weekend that season, but the only playoff appearance since then by a Detroit team was the Pistons getting swept by the Knicks in 2018

- It has been almost 15 years since Detroit's last championship in any sport, the 2008 Red Wings. Apart from the years between 1968-1984, I don't think there has been a longer stretch between championships since 1935. After the Tigers and Lions in 1935, the Red Wings won in 1936 and 1937 and 1943, then the Tigers in 1945, both the Lions and Red Wings a lot through 1957, the Tigers in 1968. Then since '84, had the Pistons twice in 1989 and 1990, then a bunch for the Wings between 1997 and 2008 and another for the Pistons in 2004. 

Edited by lordstanley

11 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Sad:

- No Detroit team has won a playoff series since 2013. Wings beat Ducks in 1st round that year before losing to the Hawks, Tigers beat the A's in ALDS before losing to the Red Sox in the ALCS

- Pistons, Red Wings and Lions all made the playoffs in 2016 and the Tigers stayed in WC contention until the final weekend that season, but the only playoff appearance since then by a Detroit team was the Pistons getting swept by the Knicks in 2018

- It has been almost 15 years since Detroit's last championship in any sport, the 2008 Red Wings. Apart from the years between 1968-1984, I don't think there has been a longer stretch between championships since 1935. After the Tigers and Lions in 1935, the Red Wings won in 1936 and 1937 and 1943, then the Tigers in 1945, both the Lions and Red Wings a lot through 1957, the Tigers in 1968. Then since '84, had the Pistons twice in 1989 and 1990, then a bunch for the Wings between 1997 and 2008 and another for the Pistons in 2004. 

good to see im not the only debbie downer around here!

• Like 1

Having Williams able to fully participate is like having three first round picks going into 2023.

They're mastering something they couldn't do under Schwartz or Caldwell (esp Suh) play with a edge without going over the edge.  No forearm shots to ball carriers or shoving trainers like the Packers

They celebrated like they made the playoffs and that's awesome.   They were not deflated after Seattle's win.  That's the part that should have us excited for next year.   They made Rodgers eat his words.     They aren't SOL at all.   Too many chances for that to come up and it didn't.   The horrible loss in Carolina?   All teams have a couple games like that every year. 

The Lions are the only team in the NFC North to finish the regular season with a positive point differential.  They actually finished 4th over all in the NFC in that stat, ahead of playoff teams the Giants, VIkings, Buccs, and Seahawks.

The Buffalo game is an overlooked "almost game"...

Back in the late 90's the year 2000 people looked at New England with the talent that had an hand and the draft capital they had and said "look out".  Not saying the Lions are a dynasty in the making...but you definitely get the sense that this team has some very bright days in front of it

I'm starting to like Kerby Joseph.

mHbs9yx2_bigger.jpg

Kerby Joseph on Aaron Rodgers: "If that's his last pass, I'm saving that ball and I'm sending it to him so he can sign it. If he don't sign it, I'll understand. But I doubt he's gonna retire. He's probably gonna try to come back, and if he comes back, more plays for me."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

The Buffalo game is an overlooked "almost game"...

Back in the late 90's the year 2000 people looked at New England with the talent that had an hand and the draft capital they had and said "look out".  Not saying the Lions are a dynasty in the making...but you definitely get the sense that this team has some very bright days in front of it

It’s not just the players, it’s that Brad Holmes has absolutely crushed two drafts. Legitimately eight starters/regular contributors in two drafts and five more who could turn into good players. If he continues to be able to draft starters in rounds 3 and after, there is no ceiling for this franchise. It really is astonishing the talent he has brought in, with another massive opportunity to draft this spring. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

For my last game thread post of the year  all I want to say is…What a great fucking season!  #BNL 

That's GOTTA be the 2023 motto. I mean, aside from winning the division and making hay in the playoffs...

#BNL or just BNL

...is going to be the new "mantra"... 

• Like 1