Week Eighteen: Detroit Lions (8-8) @ Green Bay Packers (8-8)

16 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

And Thank You for doing the GDT!

Now....where's MTB?

That’s @MichiganCardinal.  He did a great job with the GDT’s   Thanks MC! 

As for Bombers, we had our run-ins but I hope is doing ok.   It’s got to be hard being the smartest person in the room and always being right about everything.   He may have just gotten bored conversing with less intelligent people and our small minded opinions.  

• Like 1

I still think we need additional high-end RB depth though (not trying to use that as a reason to push for drafting another RB... but, I am...). 

It especially doesn't hurt if a team is trying to make a run for the playoffs either. An injury that might actually knock one of our top two RB's out for the season might be just enough to lose out on a playoff spot. Maybe the team gets through that scenario and into the playoffs anyways... 

But I see no reason to NOT draft a 2nd or 3rd round RB for depth.

I hope Swift has a 100% healthy season next year and rushes for 1,500 and catches 600 yards...

But I still want a high end backup just in case and, just for the depth...

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

That’s @MichiganCardinal.  He did a great job with the GDT’s   Thanks MC! 

As for Bombers, we had our run-ins but I hope is doing ok.   It’s got to be hard being the smartest person in the room and always being right about everything.   He may have just gotten bored conversing with less intelligent people and our small minded opinions.  

Meh...I don't let peoples ego problems get to me any more. I argued with him when he made excuses for any and all criticism (deserved) towards the Lions. But he was also knowledgeable about certain plays and players. I enjoyed our interactions (most of the time). O hope he's OK too.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

For anyone who can't stop drinking the Honolulu Blue Kool Aid (that might be me too...!)

You can watch the game again tonight on NFL channel at 8PM. 

I don't see anything else on interesting... I might watch the game again...

I have 7 games from this season on my DVR. Victories never grow old.

What a season! 4 roads wins. 5-1 division record, best division record. Best point differential in the division. Within a few plays of 10 wins. The future is white hot bright.

21 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This just in.   Maybe our guy is a little tougher than he’s been given credit for. 

I dunno if toughness is my biggest beef with him.  I mean I felt a little like he was avoiding contact late in the season and make this explains that part.  But my issues with him were mostly that he didn't seem to make good decisions... dancing around trying for the home run when he could have pushed ahead and gotten the double.

4 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I dunno if toughness is my biggest beef with him.  I mean I felt a little like he was avoiding contact late in the season and make this explains that part.  But my issues with him were mostly that he didn't seem to make good decisions... dancing around trying for the home run when he could have pushed ahead and gotten the double.

That's also not trusting your blockers. That's what Staley was yelling at him for in training camp. Basically: "Look at the film, these guys created a lane for you but you were too impatient and busted it outside for a 2 yard loss instead of a 5 yard gain."

I see 3 running issues with Swift outside of availability (injuries):

1) Too impatient, bounces outside too much, looking for the home run; although I think he cut that down this year.

2) I think this is closely related, but I wanted to mention it as a separate issue, as I did above: Not trusting the play/ his blockers. This also is close to your double versus HR. There's at least one run I saw with 3 blockers in front of him and only 2 defenders, and space potentially opening up... and he still bounced it outside... for nothing. He is not trusting the play/ his blockers enough as Staley reamed him out for...

3) Afraid of contact. Buddha and everyone else in here saw it and commented on it (buddha quite a lot...). Probably hesitancy whilst playing through injuries... but it's there. It was there a lot this year.

8 hours ago, sagnam said:

I’m fine with my big play RB not seeking out contact.  Step out of bounds or get down when surrounded.  That position already is one of the most physical, it makes no sense to seek out contact when none is needed.

The devil is, as always, in the details.  I agree that if you're on the sidelines and there's defenders converging... step outside instead of bang into them for that extra half a yard... unless that extra half a yard is what's needed for a 1st down.

I'm fine with going down if you're surrounded, but if it's one or two guys and you have a chance to break the tackle for another 3-4 yards then you should try.

I'm fine with trying to avoid contact, unless that attempt means you dance around in the backfield looking for a clean slot and end up losing a yard when you could have hit the slightly open slot for 3-5 yards.

I can't say that I know what Swift's motivation was... was he really looking to avoid hits?  If he had a separated shoulder then I can understand why he'd want to do that.  Was he looking for the homerun instead of being willing to take the single or double when it was there?  I don't know.

What I can say is that it certainly felt like Swift's decision making, at times, was lacking.  Taking this along with what we saw from Duce when talking to Swift in Hard Knocks seems to support the idea that Swift doesn't have great on the field awareness.

40 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

FWIW he’s not one of Holmes’ guys either. Notwithstanding the offensive line, the prior regime doesn’t exactly have a great track record of finding winning talent, and they may want to find a guy with their vision of an ideal skill set.

This organization is all about player development.  Holmes must have mentioned it 5 times in his talk yesterday.  Instead of focusing on what’s lacking in his game tape, how about what shows up.  He’s electric with the ball in the open field.  He’s sensational catching the ball out of the backfield and making people Miss especially in red zone.  These are skills that cant be taught.   He’s scored 25 TD in 40 games many of which have been pointed out he  touched the ball less than 10 times.  The talent level is off the charts and he has proven to be a flat out playmaker.  

He needs additional development and I don’t see this organization giving up on that without exhausting all efforts.   Everything Holmes talks about would lead to staying the course and relying o the coaches to get him to that next level.  

If attitude and work ethic were issues then I could see the team moving on from him now.  He appears to be a guy with a good attitude and plays for the team.  It seems like he’s coachable as he’s made improvements this year and Duce would’ve run him out already if he wasn’t.  

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

The devil is, as always, in the details.  I agree that if you're on the sidelines and there's defenders converging... step outside instead of bang into them for that extra half a yard... unless that extra half a yard is what's needed for a 1st down.

I'm fine with going down if you're surrounded, but if it's one or two guys and you have a chance to break the tackle for another 3-4 yards then you should try.

I'm fine with trying to avoid contact, unless that attempt means you dance around in the backfield looking for a clean slot and end up losing a yard when you could have hit the slightly open slot for 3-5 yards.

I can't say that I know what Swift's motivation was... was he really looking to avoid hits?  If he had a separated shoulder then I can understand why he'd want to do that.  Was he looking for the homerun instead of being willing to take the single or double when it was there?  I don't know.

What I can say is that it certainly felt like Swift's decision making, at times, was lacking.  Taking this along with what we saw from Duce when talking to Swift in Hard Knocks seems to support the idea that Swift doesn't have great on the field awareness.

Also depends on the current down and game situation.  Needing an extra yard for a 1st down on 1st down or up big is also not worth it.

As to awareness, I’m guessing he has good awareness (he’s a great player).  He just needed coaching on about the correct decision to make in this offense.  He probably danced a lot in HS and College because of how good he is and he needs coaching to break that habit.

16 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

This is a FANTASTIC breakdown.

If I'm gonna get really nit-picky, if you watch that play develop on the screen, St Brown is even more wide open at like the 5 yard line.  I know we didn't need a TD, but Goff never looked that way.  Still, he did get the ball out of his hands quickly & it was a well designed play.