Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

19 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Define big cap hit. Honestly. Cap hit this year of 2.5 with a 224.8M cap is 1.1% of the cap.  Next year the cap projects at 256M. 7.3 is 2.8% of the cap. So more than double, sure, but we are talking less than 3 percent for a starter. This simply isn’t a big cap hit. Is it more than he is worth?  Sure, but the cap hit is minor. 

This is what mitigates it in my mind. It’s not like this is a mega deal. For a starter, it’s actually a very reasonable deal. Doesn’t mean it was warranted, or that I think he should be a starter, but it’s like a C or C- in my mind, not an F.

I don’t think he will be dreadful like 21, I just don’t think he will be good either. If he’s dreadfully bad, like ‘the linebacker position is clearly costing us games’ bad, Anzalone’s cost isn’t prohibitive to trading for a linebacker mid-season. Which is something I think they would do if it came down to it.

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Evan did fine when he filled for Ragnow but iirc the metrics weren't too kind of his guard play and since that's probably where he would be playing I think the Lions just felt Glasgow would be an upgrade.

He was a turnstile at guard, was very good filling in for Ragnow the year before. The problem for his free agency status is that his play at guard was more recent so it likely created a very weak market for him.

I think the Lions saw Glasgow as a more dependable option being the veteran and all.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When you see what a better player like Lavonte David signed for in Tampa Bay it makes this deal that much harder to accept. I trust Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell on the whole and like what they are doing, but as Buddha said earlier, they are infallible people. I just can't help but wonder if we could have gotten one of David or Bobby Wagner at that price.

I said this to you the other day. David has played his whole career in Tampa so he clearly took a discount to stay there. The Lions would have to overpay to bring him in and likely for multiple years.

With that said, it's hard to argue that the Anzalone contract isn't an overpay but if he played like he did the second half of last season, it'll be fine value but that's a big IF considering the bigger sample size of his career not being at that level.

Edited by NYLion

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

I said this to you the other day. David has played his whole career in Tampa so he clearly took a discount to stay there. The Lions would have to overpay to bring him in and likely for multiple years.

Both parties seem content to play it year by year. 

41 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't under the 2026-2028 years void part... if it's a three year deal, what does that have to do with 2026, 27, or 28?

They are used to spread the signing bonus out over more years to lower the cap hit early in the contract.    They will void the contract after 3 years and pay the remaining cap hit then.  

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

With that said, it's hard to argue that the Anzalone contract isn't an overpay but if he played like he did the second half of last season, it'll be fine value but that's a big IF considering the bigger sample size of his career not being at that level.

Regarding David, I would have been willing to overpay on a two year deal if it meant we were getting the better player of the two, which I feel we would be for at least a season. I would have offered a deal that was heavy in up front, guaranteed money for year one and then less on the back end. I would go 2 years @ $14 million with $10 million guaranteed and an incentive laden $4 million for year two if he both performs well and wants to return for a second stint. If he was willing to bite on a deal like that it would allow us to draft a Trenton Simpson, Jack Campbell, whomever and have him sit behind David for a year. Same kind of deal for Wagner too probably.

I'm just playing Madden GM there though and that's easy to do. I'd like to think we are getting the Anzalone from the last 6 or 7 games (minus Carolina) of last season. As you said though, his career sample size doesn't dictate that. Hopefully Holmes and Campbell bet correct on their own guy here.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

They are conflicting but I get the sense the Lions wanted to move on from Williams. I commend them for not overpaying for Williams and moving on to a better player. I wish they did the same with Anzalone. 

Look at Anzalone after Aubrey Pleasant was fired.  He was good.   The whole defense was on the same page and he was much much better.   They still need an LB (Drew Sanders anyone?), but Anzalone was not the problem, a defensive backs coach not following the script was more of the issue. 

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Are we sure about that?   I mean Raoul Duke hallucinates a lot.    There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. 

I don’t know what any of that means but yes it’s right. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If I had to guess, he really wants a multi-year deal but isn’t finding any takers.

He was on a prove it deal but didn’t quite prove it. Still, would like to keep him until they have to pay ASB. This draft or next they can find Chark’s replacement as X receiver.