Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

I think it's too early to say that the Secondary is a strength.  They've certain added massive amounts of talent, but we need to know if it will all come together.  Now, given what we know of Holmes and Campbell and how they are adding talent, I suspect that it will come together but I've been a Lions fan way too many years to assume that "on paper" will automatically translate to "on field" improvement.  So, I'll go with the old Lions fans staple: I'm cautiously optimistic about the secondary.

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The players are buying in now.   CJGJ could have gotten more elsewhere, don'cha think? 

So, by renegotiated does that mean he's taking less money?  If they're just shifting money around it's it usually a restructured contract?

19 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Plus, do you understand how many ways they can go in the draft?    A Defensive Lineman, a really good LB, young TE, RB, maybe even QB.     Are they actual contenders for the, you know, now?

If not in the first round then sure. But you cannot take a first round TE. Michael Mayer cannot be on their draft board.

2 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

So, by renegotiated does that mean he's taking less money?  If they're just shifting money around it's it usually a restructured contract?

Renegotiated means Okwara took a pay cut and it looks like he took a hefty one at that. A restructure means they shifted or converted something. It changes the cap hit but not how much the player makes. 

2 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

The money is being moved around.  Nobody's taking a nearly $9 million pay cut when any play could be your last.    Maybe the added some extra years or something. 

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The money is being moved around.  Nobody's taking a nearly $9 million pay cut when any play could be your last.    Maybe the added some extra years or something. 

He took a huge pay cut. It was probably take the pay cut or get cut. He probably at best would only get a non guaranteed contract. 

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Nope it was a paycut. Perhaps there are some incentive bonuses in there but the base salary drop was 9 mill.

Other than LB, is there any position where you really feel that the Lions are lacking talent? I mean, you can always upgrade any position of course, but is there really any area were you feel like we're below average beyond LB?

I supposed you could say DT, TE, and WR (with Chark's status unknown)... but even those don't really feel like we're far below average if we are.  Again, this is all on paper, but seriously I don't feel like there is any position where we NEED to draft a position or we'll be in poor shape.

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They really have a logjam at defensive end now. Hutchinson, Houston, Cominsky, Harris, Okwara, Paschal and on the interior you have Buggs, McNeil and Levi. Cominsky and Paschal can move inside and I'm not sure Levi makes the roster. 

You can never have enough depth on the defensive line but, yes, it's a lot of bodies although I wouldn't count on Levi to be a regular at this moment.

It's the same with the secondary. Sutton, Moseley, CJGJ, Okudah, Jacobs, Walker, Joseph, Harris, Iffy, Moore, Lucas?  The first 7 are all starter quality.

I'm not sure if this will play into Holmes draft strategy but I do expect him to consolidate a few of the picks and trade up at some point early in the draft. I expected a trade up before free agency because Holmes mentality is to be aggressive but even moreso now after free agency.

Edited by NYLion

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

$500k per game roster bonus is not chump change.  That will add up quick.  

I wonder if this is active roster?  Like, if he's injured and unable to play in a game, does he get the bonus?  If not, might this be a not so subtle motivator to be ready?

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep, after I posted that I realized it said per game and not just a 500k bonus. Could end up making 10.5 million if he plays every game. 

Another prove it deal.  Brad is the king of them.   

It does appear to be an active roster bonus.  He’s got to play in order to qualify.  Hedges against an injury or drastic decline in play. 

Edited by Hongbit

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep, after I posted that I realized it said per game and not just a 500k bonus. Could end up making 10.5 million if he plays every game. 

I think it's a total of 500k.  Not 500k per game.

Edited by Woodrowjr

11 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Brad Holmes is just nailing it. Certainly setting up this team for success this year. The lions are going to be a serious contender. They should be front runners for the division.  

You have to be impressed. The Okwara deal is a good marker. Not that it was an earth shatterning deal or anything, but just because finding common ground on an agreement like that requires finesse - I bet most orgs would just have cut him and then would have had to go find someone else comparable to sign for depth. If the Lions end up getting more cap relief than a cut/new sign would have gained and Okwara gets a fair deal - Win-win.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

This says $500k total in per game bonuses. I didn’t read it at $500k per game. If he played all the games it wouldn’t be a pay cut at all. 

The way I understand it is Okwara will get 1/17th of $500k for each game he plays so roughly $29k per game. $500k per game would be a lot and the Lions would need to keep $10 million in cap space open. That wouldn't seem to do them any good.