Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

We also lost Suh in that 2014 offseason which kinda tempered expectations a bit for many. 

Yep. 2014 was arguably the most talented Lions team maybe ever (as sad as that sounds) but the Suh leaving dark cloud was hanging over the team that season so it was kind of an "all in" season. Suh being all emotional after the Dallas loss basically confirmed that he was gone so expectations were tempered that offseason.

What I remember from Caldwell on the detractive side was that everyone believed he was a great locker room coach but not a championship level guy... from an X's and O's/ game management/ outcoach the other team perspective.

Whether that was right or wrong... that stuck with me throughout his entire tenure that... he was great for the team, would get us to above .500, but in critical (IE: playoff) games, he would get outcoached and we would lose those games. 

I always felt that way with him.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I really can’t believe they signed CGJ for so cheap. There was legitimate talk at the beginning of the off-season of the Eagles franchise tagging him for $14.5MM.

It seems his negotiations impacted the strange course of events with Slay. 

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Other than LB, is there any position where you really feel that the Lions are lacking talent? I mean, you can always upgrade any position of course, but is there really any area were you feel like we're below average beyond LB?

I supposed you could say DT, TE, and WR (with Chark's status unknown)... but even those don't really feel like we're far below average if we are.  Again, this is all on paper, but seriously I don't feel like there is any position where we NEED to draft a position or we'll be in poor shape.

I think we are lacking game wreckers and playmakers at a few different positions beyond LB. You can't expect to have game wreckers and playmakers at every single position, but there are two important ones I still think they need. At DT they need either someone who can give them an interior pass rush and disrupt the QB from the inside like you'd get from a Suh or Javon Hargrave type player or an elite run stopper who can really plug the run. I like what they have with Cominsky, Buggs, and to a point McNeill. But I still feel they need another top-tier player at DT to fill one or both of those roles. They have some nice pieces at DT to round out the position for secondary starters and depth, but the Carolina game last year really exposed how weak they are against the run and up the middle.

The other area I think they have a need for a true playmaker is CB. I like Cam Sutton a lot and think he was a great signing. I still feel though that we could go out and find ourselves a true 1A, lockdown CB. Sutton's never had more than 3 INTs or 52 tackles in a season. I'm not saying we need Sauce Gardner out there because guys like him are unicorns. But having a top 10-15 CB in the league would be real nice to have if we gotta go up against Pat Mahomes or Joe Burrow in the Super Bowl.

32 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They lost Suh but Ansah had a nice season and seemed to be a budding star. They did replace Suh with Ngata. It was a downgrade but not horrible. They still had Tulloch and Levy and Glover Quinn and Slay still young. On offense you still had Calvin Johnson, Tate, Reggie Bush and of course Stafford. The line was good that year. Caldwell was in his 1st season so you got a lot of vibes that the Lions were going in the right direction. 

The OLine was always my general reservation with those teams.  I wanted Raiola gone pretty much from the time he arrived. Was hard for me have confidence in any Lions management that was satisfied to keep bringing him back, and Reiff too for that matter. So OK, they weren't *terrible*, but the OLine was never going to be a team strength with that crew either, and I think that has to be the goal.

Converesly, I'm pretty confident Holmes and co. gets it wrt the OLine.

That's why this feels different to me - better team build concept in place.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I've seen some reports of people questioning his character but Campbell and Glenn are very familiar with him so it doesn't bother me. 

I don’t think it’s even character concerns that would impact the locker room necessarily, but rather that he’s very vocal on social media and sometimes puts his foot in his mouth…. Which, as long it’s not tracking onto the field or into the locker room, who cares.

I think the Lions are going to surprise a lot of people next season, when really it should be seen coming like a freight train. Perusing an Eagles board (where they were none too pleased about the loss of CJGJ), there was quite a bit of dismissiveness about the Lions.

I think while the diehard Lions fans can see something really special, and different, brewing, I don’t think the average NFL fan has that same realization yet… which will make their tears all the more sweeter.

27 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think it’s a totality of the circumstances that lead to the excitement for me. The Lions are trending sky high at the perfect time. Short of an unexpected run by somebody, it’s them and the 49ers at the top of the NFC

Eagles are still the favorites.

27 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think it’s a totality of the circumstances that lead to the excitement for me. The Lions are trending sky high at the perfect time. Short of an unexpected run by somebody, it’s them and the 49ers at the top of the NFC

dallas and philadelphia ahead of them too.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the Lions are going to surprise a lot of people next season, when really it should be seen coming like a freight train. Perusing an Eagles board (where they were none too pleased about the loss of CJGJ), there was quite a bit of dismissiveness about the Lions.

I think while the diehard Lions fans can see something really special, and different, brewing, I don’t think the average NFL fan has that same realization yet… which will make their tears all the more sweeter.

Peruse the Bears forum. Not only do they dismiss the Lions, but they think they're going to win the division. 

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Other than LB, is there any position where you really feel that the Lions are lacking talent? I mean, you can always upgrade any position of course, but is there really any area were you feel like we're below average beyond LB?

I supposed you could say DT, TE, and WR (with Chark's status unknown)... but even those don't really feel like we're far below average if we are.  Again, this is all on paper, but seriously I don't feel like there is any position where we NEED to draft a position or we'll be in poor shape.

you answered your own question in your second paragraph.  other than mcneil, theyre weak at defensive tackle.  they dont have an established outside receiver on the roster.  linebacker is below average.  qb is average.

on paper, they have a strong running back room and a strong oline.  an effective game manager at qb but no backup.  an excellent slot receiver and a potential burner on the outside.  they have depth in the secondary but no #1 corner.  

they need young talent at cornerback.  they could use another receiver.  they need a run stuffing defensive tackle to play alongside mcneil.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

Dak sucks in the playoffs. I know Dallas beat us last year and we look pathetic against them. But the team that lost to Dallas and this one are world's apart. We'd be Dallas if we played them at the season's end. If you gave me the choice to build my offense around Dak or Goff I'd pick Goff, assuming we get the Goff of last season.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

I don’t agree on Dallas. They’re in purgatory and the Lions are better.

Philly maybe. I should have at least mentioned. But they’re getting worse not better this off-season, at least so far. If they draft well, they can probably be in a position to possibly return.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t agree on Dallas. They’re in purgatory and the Lions are better.

Philly maybe. I should have at least mentioned. But they’re getting worse not better this off-season, at least so far. If they draft well, they can probably be in a position to possibly return.

i'll believe the lions are better than dallas when i see them actually beat dallas.

its hard not to be optimistic about the lions, but i temper my lions optimism with 50 years of hurt.

"one lion on the shirt...50 years of hurt..."  english people will catch that reference.

• Like 2