Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

If this is how they feel about Goff, they should sign him to an extension now.  Back load it and free money to trade and sign either a Simmons or Buckner at DT and maybe even trade for Dhop or another big WR that will come on the market. Open the window for the next few seasons right now 

Edited by Hongbit

Something I hadn’t considered RE Lamar (maybe others have and I’m just slow)… I think it’s just as if not more likely that the volume of NFL agents are colluding against him as it is owners are. Agents control the media narrative to a large degree and it is in their interests to make Lamar’s situation look like a cluster so no one else seeking a market setting contract tries to represent themselves 

This is beautiful. I love everything Holmes is saying about drafting a QB. Unlike that dope prior to him, Bob Quinn, who basically announced to the world he wasn't drafting Tua or Herbert, Holmes is playing it up like we could draft a QB. The more Holmes gins up the QB talk and gets teams wondering what he's doing I think the better our chances are to get both a trading partner and a good deal when moving back.

Bob Quinn on the other hand had a flashing neon sign saying "WE AREN'T DRAFTING A QB!" and thus had no chance to move out of the third spot.

Great work Brad. I don't actually want them to use a high round pick on a QB and I don't think they will. But Holmes playing this up is smart business.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This could be one of the reasons they cleared cap space for . . .

Campbell is 35 and likely only has a year or so left to play. Campbell was still fairly productive last year recording 5.5 sacks and 36 tackles. 

he gives me michael brockers and snacks harrison vibes.

sometimes age catches up to you very quickly in the nfl.

If they do indeed draft a QB with the intention of him replacing Goff in a year or 2 hopefully Goff handles it like an adult like Alex Smith and Jimmy G did when their teams drafted QBs early and not throw a fit like Rodgers did when the Pack drafted Love. Of course Rodgers threw a fit but did put up back to back MVP seasons so I guess if Goff responds like that on the field for us I'll forgive how he acts off of it. 

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This is beautiful. I love everything Holmes is saying about drafting a QB. Unlike that dope prior to him, Bob Quinn, who basically announced to the world he wasn't drafting Tua or Herbert, Holmes is playing it up like we could draft a QB. The more Holmes gins up the QB talk and gets teams wondering what he's doing I think the better our chances are to get both a trading partner and a good deal when moving back.

Bob Quinn on the other hand had a flashing neon sign saying "WE AREN'T DRAFTING A QB!" and thus had no chance to move out of the third spot.

Great work Brad. I don't actually want them to use a high round pick on a QB and I don't think they will. But Holmes playing this up is smart business.

That's not how it works. If anything, it would make teams want to trade with Seattle to get ahead of Detroit. No one is going to believe that yeah we are serious about drafting a QB, but if you trade with us, we will completely change our plans. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

That's not how it works. If anything, it would make teams want to trade with Seattle to get ahead of Detroit. No one is going to believe that yeah we are serious about drafting a QB, but if you trade with us, we will completely change our plans. 

Exactly! I will say though looking back if Quinn would've put the thought in people's heads that we were interested in a QB maybe a team would've traded up with Washington and we could've had Chase Young. It would've been a long shot though since I think Washington really coveted Young and wasn't going to trade back for cheap. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think GMs look at a position as valuable as QB and go "We'll do whatever it takes to get our guy." If they so much as think someone is a threat to drafting their guy they'll be willing to move up and get him, including trading with us in this instance.

If this isn't the case then why doesn't Holmes just come out and say publicly that we aren't drafting a QB?

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If this isn't the case then why doesn't Holmes just come out and say publicly that we aren't drafting a QB?

Cause it's no benefit to the Lions whatsoever to do so, whether it's QB or place kicker. Unless you have the 1st pick and you have no intentions of trading out and losing your guy you never want to reveal or even hint who you want to take cause a team behind you may be interested in that same player and can jump ahead of you to take them. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Exactly! I will say though looking back if Quinn would've put the thought in people's heads that we were interested in a QB maybe a team would've traded up with Washington and we could've had Chase Young. It would've been a long shot though since I think Washington really coveted Young and wasn't going to trade back for cheap. 

Quinn absolutely F'ED that off-season up by basically declaring we weren't drafting a QB. As you said, he potentially had the option to get someone to leap frog the Lions and push Chase Young into their lap. So that to me signals that other teams do care about and pay attention to what other GMs say and how they act.

I don't buy into the idea that what a GM says or how they portray their strategy doesn't impact another team's and front offices decisions.

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

By keeping the QB door open it creates a chance that maybe a team behind you will trade up with Seattle and take a QB which would drop the player you really wanted to you. 

So you believe that GM chatter and what they say regarding drafting a QB matters when it comes to trading to get ahead of you but not in trading with you to move back.

I wonder what Miami or San Diego would have done if Quinn had played his hand smarter, much less if he called their bluff and drafted Herbert or Tua.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think GMs look at a position as valuable as QB and go "We'll do whatever it takes to get our guy." If they so much as think someone is a threat to drafting their guy they'll be willing to move up and get him, including trading with us in this instance.

I don't think Holmes rules out any position. He'll draft whoever is highest on his board. Draft for value, fill needs with free agency.

Arizona is drafting 3rd this year, same as the Lions in 2019, and no one and I mean no one is going to trade with Arizona because they think they may draft a QB and move on from Kyler Murray. They are only trading with Arizona to get ahead of the Colts. That's how this works. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

I will say in Quinn's defense the fact that we still had Stafford and it was well known that Quinntricia were on the hot seat basically let teams know that they weren't going to take a QB. When you are basically in a win or get fired scenario like them two were and you have a more than capable QB you don't use a top 3 pick on a QB that may benefit the team 2 to 3 years down the road, you take a guy that can help you win games immediately. So even if Quinn did say they were in the market for a QB I think other teams would've called his bluff but I suppose you never really know and it probably wouldn't have hurt anything to try to bluff them.