Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

11 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I get wanting to move. It is a tranquil location. Like the rest of Detroit sports everyone is moving back downtown.

I don't think downtown is a good place for a 50 acre + practice facility. If they choose Detroit, I could see somewhere in New Center around Henry Ford hospital and they can partner with Wayne State on a sports medicine program. I believe the Steelers do this with the University of Pittsburgh. There's a lot of land around Henry Ford. I could see them moving to Dearborn around the Ford headquarters. Ultimately, I think the best and most likely area is Oakland County. Whats going on at the Palace site? 

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think downtown is a good place for a 50 acre + practice facility. If they choose Detroit, I could see somewhere in New Center around Henry Ford hospital and they can partner with Wayne State on a sports medicine program. I believe the Steelers do this with the University of Pittsburgh. There's a lot of land around Henry Ford. I could see them moving to Dearborn around the Ford headquarters. Ultimately, I think the best and most likely area is Oakland County. Whats going on at the Palace site? 

If they were interested in DT, other than the Woodward corridor, there is a lot of near vacant land South of 94 everywhere between Michigan and Gratiot -- but I'd guess the players would rather Oakland county as I'd guess more of them are staying there during the season.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If the Lions move their HQ to Detroit then the city should implement a wealth tax of 2% on all wealth over $50 million and should be capturing more resources for their low-income and impoverished residents. No reason that wealthy ownership and players can't pay their fair share.

Well Detroit already charges a 1.2% tax for non-residents. I would assume since the Lions play in Detroit they are charged a non-resident tax. If not, on a $200 million + payroll, that would be over $2 million annually on just players and not even a coaching staff. 

18 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

it is utter BS, I know, but at a minimum asking Detroit to pick up some of the infrastructure changes is a pretty standard ask

I guess it depends on where the line is drawn. I don't have a big problem with the public picking things like sewer and road modification costs, those are at least 'public goods'. The devil is always in the details.

So it does appear players playing in Detroit pay city taxes. Not only that, Detroit also has a jock tax and collects taxes from opposing players. The thought of Aaron Rodgers coming to Detroit and throwing three picks and having a huge tax bill makes me happy. 

https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/16977/detroit_finds_a_way_to_collect_more_income_tax_from_pro_athletes_playing_in_the_city

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If they move it to Oakland County, is that property at the Summit Place Mall still vacant? Relatively close to Woodward and Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills players homes if that’s on their wish list.

The Silverdome would have been a good spot but I think they developed that into an Amazon facility.