Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

They did address it, they traded three picks to move up and take one in the 3rd round. And i don't think they see Paschal as a dt, he's an end, like Cominsky who can shift inside on passing downs.

True enough, I hope he makes a difference and makes Holmes look much smarter than us. Though I do think his task (run stuffing) is different from what the team is really missing, an interior pass rush.

I think you are right about how they used Pashcal in 22. He was drafted as a bit of a tweener. I think based on the needs of the team though they should have him gain ten pounds or so and move more frequently inside. There’s too many mediocre cooks at edge, he could get more snaps and be more useful inside.

You would think there has to be a reason why the Lions created all this cap space, I like to think they looked around the league and pin pointed potential June 1st or camp casualties that they would like to jump on and they wanted to make sure they had the means to be able to make it happen.

I figured Hooker was just a contingency plan in case things went south with Goff whether it be play, injury or contractually and if this is to be believed it sounds like just that.

Yeah using a 3rd for that definitely isn't the best value but when you have few holes sometimes you can take chances or make luxury picks like that. 

I feel like the Hooker picks was made for multiple reasons.  First is to have some leverage in any negotiations.  At this point, Goff has all the leverage because really the Lions haven't had any back up plan and he had a great season.  Now you can say that the number 6 pick was some leverage although really to this point there wasn't an actual body to replace him.   Leverage can save you a lot money if Goff has another great year and unless there is an injury, I don't see why he won't (knock on wood).  Second is to have a back up plan if Goff wants too much $, has a bad year, or gets hurt.  As far as not putting too much pressure on Goff next year although having a possible franchise QB after Goff, it was the best draft pick.  No one should be saying, put in Hooker if Goff has a bad game NEXT year unless your just a Goff hater.  3rd is he isn't going to be a cancer and start demanding time like other top QBs would of possibly wanted.  Fourth it was only a 3rd rounder and you now have a legit backup QB that isn't going to cost that much cap wise.  Not week 1 although, you hope Ben Johnson can get him ready as soon as possible.

Hendon Hooker is not leverage. If Goff has another season like last year, he should demand a contract extension or a trade. He can tell the Lions if you feel comfortable that Hooker can take over and win the division than trade me. I have a feeling this is Goff's last year in Detroit. Either he regresses and they decide to go to Hooker, or he plays well and forces them to trade him. 

I see Hooker as nothing more than a flyer, if they really felt Hooker was their QB of the future they wouldn't have passed on him 4 times before finally taking him. I liken the situation to the Eagles taking Hurts, at the time Wentz looked like their QB of the future but they thought the value was too good with Hurts to pass up. Or like the Seahawks taking Wilson right after giving a huge contract to Flynn to be their QB. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I see Hooker as nothing more than a flyer, if they really felt Hooker was potential QB of the future they wouldn't have passed on him 4 times before finally taking him. I liken the situation to the Eagles taking Hurts, at the time Wentz looked like their QB of the future but they thought the value was too good with Hurts to pass up. Or like the Seahawks taking Wilson right after giving a huge contract to Flynn to be their QB. 

Yes, he was BPA. And they were able to trade back a few times and still get him. I wasn’t thrilled with the pick but I’m not sure there was a clear difference maker they could have taken other than him. 

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I see Hooker as nothing more than a flyer, if they really felt Hooker was their QB of the future they wouldn't have passed on him 4 times before finally taking him. I liken the situation to the Eagles taking Hurts, at the time Wentz looked like their QB of the future but they thought the value was too good with Hurts to pass up. Or like the Seahawks taking Wilson right after giving a huge contract to Flynn to be their QB. 

Goff is also much better than Flynn. I also believe the original idea of taking Hurts was as a Taysom Hill type. Wentz also had an injury history that Goff doesn't have and has been a headcase. A lot of people considered Hooker to be a 1st round talent but age and injury dropped him. I'm not sure people were high on Russell Wilson coming out or Hurts for that matter. 

3 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Yes, he was BPA. And they were able to trade back a few times and still get him. I wasn’t thrilled with the pick but I’m not sure there was a clear difference maker they could have taken other than him. 

The fact that the next player they were hot for was an obscure, nearly 24 yo journeyman nose tackle speaks to that.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Goff is also much better than Flynn. I also believe the original idea of taking Hurts was as a Taysom Hill type. Wentz also had an injury history that Goff doesn't have and has been a headcase. A lot of people considered Hooker to be a 1st round talent but age and injury dropped him. I'm not sure people were high on Russell Wilson coming out or Hurts for that matter. 

It wasn't an apples to apples comparison but just pointing out that there has been precedent where teams take a QB after the 1st round without the purpose of giving up on the guy they have or with the thought process that they will be their future guy and I think that is the case with Hooker.

It never hurts to have a backup or contingency plan at the most important position in sports, maybe Goff never misses a game and continues to excel for the Lions for the next 10 years and it turns out that they wasted a 3rd rd pick on a guy holding a clip board. Or maybe in 2024 Goff gets injured and misses substantial time and Hooker comes in and excels and leads the Lions to a Super Bowl or any of number of different things in between. 

I guess my overall point is that unlike some of the narrative going around I don't believe they drafted him to be Goff's replacement, could he eventually be? Sure but I still think they are committed to Goff long term and just felt that the potential upside of Hooker if things were to go bad with Goff was worth the risk where they drafted him at. Again if they really drafted him with the mindset that he is going to be their future franchise QB you don't pass on him 4 times, then trade back with a 5th selection when he is still on the board. 

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I just don't see Goff playing 2024 with the Lions without an extension. I don't think he is just going to play the final two years and they depart and go their separate ways. 

If the Lions are good enough to be challenging for a Championship I could see both Goff and the Lions deciding to live with one another even in the absence of any agreement going forward because both want a shot at the Brass Ring badly enough put concerns about '25 on the shelf.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

If the Lions are good enough to be challenging for a Championship I could see both Goff and the Lions deciding to live with one another even in the absence of any agreement going forward because both want a shot at the Brass Ring badly enough put concerns about '25 on the shelf.

No way Goff should go into a third prove it year. Goff would have all the leverage if the Lions make a playoff run. 

46 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I just don't see Goff playing 2024 with the Lions without an extension. I don't think he is just going to play the final two years and they depart and go their separate ways. 

what choice will he have?