Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

You specifically said I said I wasn't impressed with them. I did look at the beginning of the game thread and one person said the Eagles were the 2nd best team we'll play all year, and one said they were overrated because of Hurts. You said they were good and literally no one mocked you. 

did i say you mocked me?  no.  i did not say that.  

you have said you werent impressed with the eagles.  whatever.  who cares!  it was a joke.  let it die please.

i am not going to play the role of KL anymore.  🙂

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

did i say you mocked me?  no.  i did not say that.  

you have said you werent impressed with the eagles.  whatever.  who cares!  it was a joke.  let it die please.

i am not going to play the role of KL anymore.  🙂

How about you let it die or bring the evidence that I said I wasn't impressed by the Eagles? You're flat up making stuff up. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

How about you let it die or bring the evidence that I said I wasn't impressed by the Eagles? You're flat up making stuff up. 

i'm sure you were sold later.  after they beat the lions.

WHO CARES!   LET IT GO.

Screenshot_20230304_171902_Chrome.jpg

Rod Wood throwing Quinntricia under the bus:

“[Sheila Hamp Ford has] been great. She obviously worked closely with her mom for a few years but wanted to kind of do things her way without turning the apple cart completely upside down. She’s been here regularly. She comes here at least usually two days a week, meets with everybody. Certainly, she’s present, people know who she is and she knows who everybody else is and that’s a big thing. And then her work really to kind of tear apart the culture that she inherited with Matt (Patricia) and Bob (Quinn) and how do we get this right? And really kind of looking at, you never really know sometimes until people are gone how people really feel cause there is this power structure, and no matter how much people may trust me they’re probably not going to come here and tell me something if their boss is between me and them.

“I think we got a lot of direct feedback from people that they were probably hesitant to share and that informed us a lot on what we didn’t want and how we were going to go about taking this culture to a level where people are feeling like they’re all part of the team, and they matter and their voice matters. And Sheila was an important part of that.”

https://www.motownlions.com/2023/03/05/detroit-lions-president-rod-wood-talks-calvin-johnson-and-why-ticket-prices-went-up-a-bit/

16 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Littlefinger is such slime.  I wonder what those same Lions employees would say about him if Sheila were to shitcan his ass.  Sadly, it will never happen since he’s so deeply grifted himself into the family’s business ventures.  

On 3/5/2023 at 2:41 PM, Hongbit said:

Littlefinger is such slime.  I wonder what those same Lions employees would say about him if Sheila were to shitcan his ass.  Sadly, it will never happen since he’s so deeply grifted himself into the family’s business ventures.  

I tend to agree.  I mean, how much better would it have been if instead of:

"And then her work really to kind of tear apart the culture that she inherited with Matt (Patricia) and Bob (Quinn) and how do we get this right?"

He'd said:

"And then her work to really get the culture of this team right.  How to really dig in and get the place working together and pointed forward?"

No need to specifically throw shade at Matt and Bob... no reason to call out past sins... just focus on the good stuff going forward.  Honestly, given that you were responsible for bringing in Matt and Bob... you probably shouldn't focus too much on how they failed and set the team back.

59 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I tend to agree.  I mean, how much better would it have been if instead of:

"And then her work really to kind of tear apart the culture that she inherited with Matt (Patricia) and Bob (Quinn) and how do we get this right?"

He'd said:

"And then her work to really get the culture of this team right.  How to really dig in and get the place working together and pointed forward?"

No need to specifically throw shade at Matt and Bob... no reason to call out past sins... just focus on the good stuff going forward.  Honestly, given that you were responsible for bringing in Matt and Bob... you probably shouldn't focus too much on how they failed and set the team back.

Whatever one might say about Wood, my takeaway is that anyone and everyone seems to go out of their way to say how much they hated Quinntricia. This level of hate, and this breach of customary decorum is unusual.

Typically, when a regime fails, people treat it as the less said the better. But everyone really hated Quinntricia so much that they can’t let it go or feel obligated to distance themselves. Quinntricia’s failure was remarkably thorough. 

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Whatever one might say about Wood, my takeaway is that anyone and everyone seems to go out of their way to say how much they hated Quinntricia. This level of hate, and this breach of customary decorum is unusual.

Typically, when a regime fails, people treat it as the less said the better. But everyone really hated Quinntricia so much that they can’t let it go or feel obligated to distance themselves. Quinntricia’s failure was remarkably thorough. 

My information on Wood comes directly from people that have worked for him.

Wasn't Wood the one who came out and said he wasn't qualified for the job in his opening presser?

Those comments are as much deflecting blame away from Martha Ford and himself for that disaster as it is throwing shade at Quinntricia. Throwing more garbage onto the dumpster fire that is bad things to say about Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia is easy. Taking accountability for your part in giving that dumpster fire free reign over your organization on the other hand........

Getting us the Draft in 2024 was cool. I know he's telling the media that he's lobbying for us to play the Chiefs in Germany next year to hold off on "hosting" an international game in 2025. Assuming that's a directive from Brad and Dan (it makes sense), that's also good. Stick to that.

7 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Jones is getting this kind of money to resign, what is Goff going to get?

Depends on whether they extend him before the 2023 season or after, and if after, it'll depend on how good Goff was in 2023. If the Lions wait and Goff puts up numbers similar to 2022, he'll be looking for $45-50 mil/year. Joe Burrow is a UFA after the 2024 season, so Cinci will look to extend him after 2023 at the latest. His next contract will be the one that really resets the QB market moving forward, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets $60 mil/year. If you can lock Goff in around $40 mill/year now, I'd do it, but I like Goff. 

18 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Wasn't Wood the one who came out and said he wasn't qualified for the job in his opening presser?

Yeah, but I think that comment got way over blown.  Don't get me wrong... it was an utterly stupid comment to make.  But he wasn't saying he was an idiot, he was trying to say that while he didn't have extensive Football experience, he was so tied in with the Fords and with the Lions that he had the knowledge and passion for this team and the connects necessary to make it all work here.  Now even that's not a LOT better, but not quite the same as saying: "I'm totally unqualified for the job."

Those comments are as much deflecting blame away from Martha Ford and himself for that disaster as it is throwing shade at Quinntricia. Throwing more garbage onto the dumpster fire that is bad things to say about Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia is easy. Taking accountability for your part in giving that dumpster fire free reign over your organization on the other hand........

And that's my biggest problem with his comments.  You were the one who hired them. You're comments about Shelia inheriting a bad culture is totally deflecting away from the idea that you were the one who hired and installed the people who made the culture bad.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Did Rod Wood hire them or did Martha? I feel like Martha was bamboozled by Ernie Accorsi who spoonfed her his former Giants connections. 

Hmm... valid question.  I suppose given his direct ties to the Ford Family and lack of football executive experience that he probably wouldn't have gone against Martha if she was insistent.  We'll probably never know if she or he was the driving force or if she or he didn't like Quinn and actively sought to stop it before being overruled/talked into it.

So maybe it's not fair to blame Wood for Quinn... but I'll still stand by my earlier point.  He didn't need to call out and throw shade on Quinn and Patricia to get his point across about Shelia.