Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

I wonder if they could negotiate some trade between the teams? 

I saw something on espn earlier that floated a Goff, 18th pick and one of our 2nd rounders for Lamar.

In that article they said that getting Goff would be an asset for the Ravens and easily offset the extra 1st they other wise would receive if they just let him walk to another team. 

11 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

They eyed the Lions draft picks and said "let's put the Lions at the top so we can get/ target their draft picks."

That's it.

IMO.

The Lions would have to give up 18 and a 2024 1st, not 6, FWIW. I think it has more to do with the prior ties to Detroit (Lamar being seen in Detroit, the report that Detroit was on his short list, etc.), in addition to Jamo having liked a tweet of JJ Watt yesterday that spoke up for Lamar.

I think the biggest strike against it though (other than the stupidity and randomness of the above) is what he would do to the locker room. It sure feels like he quit on that Ravens team as they made a playoff push. Whether it was injury related or not, he wasn’t with his team and NFL players saw that.

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

lamar was the best player in the league in 2019 and a top 10 player in 2020....

and then has been average.  and injured.  that's a pretty big bet that he'll return to his form from 4 years ago.

Yep, it's the type of move that could either take us to the next level and possibly even be legit SB threats or set back the franchise for years depending on the level of his play or if he gets injured. 

Cam Newton had 8 good years before injuring out...

A rookie contract, plus 1 more, if anyone could live with that... It would be the 2nd extension that might end up being the cap killer... if it got to that point for the Lions... OR, they add a 10 years extension and year 4 they are hurtin'...

30 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

It would be easier/ smarter (than going after Lamar) to just draft AR, who is bigger and stronger (and faster?) which, doesn't guarantee longevity, but still says AR, not Lamar.

yes.  yes it would.

they have changed the rules from cam's days and protect qbs more now than then.  the book on cam being to just beat the shit out of him and it will take his legs away.  remember the super bowl with the broncos making all those dirty late hits?

cam was kind of like richardson in that he's an amazing athlete, but cam also led an average auburn team to a national championship while richardson led an average florida team to the las vegas bowl.

richardson has been described by others as having a better arm than cam, in fact having an otherwordly arm.  ive even heard him described as being like stafford in struggling to accuracy for much of his college career but having a gun that you just cant teach.

i think this is all moot because richardson is going to get picked before the lions have a shot at him.  otoh, justin fields, an athletic qb with questions about his mental processing levels and ability to make quick reads, dropped to the middle of round one so...

23 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Cam Newton had 8 good years before injuring out...

A rookie contract, plus 1 more, if anyone could live with that... It would be the 2nd extension that might end up being the cap killer... if it got to that point for the Lions... OR, they add a 10 years extension and year 4 they are hurtin'...

He’s the only one.

He had three good seasons out of nine, with two dismal seasons trying to hang on in Carolina. 

Other than the three good seasons he went 37-58-1. 

But hey, he was a QB, and he was in a box. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't want to say there is zero chance they go after Lamar Jackson, but I think it is damn close. First off, they seem to really like Goff and the progress he's made under Dan Campbell and Ben Johnson. Second, Holmes and Campbell have seemingly said things that seem to indicate they are staying with Goff and don't sound like an organization ready to move on from him. Third, Jackson, while not having any real off field or major character concerns, doesn't seem like he fits this organization's culture given his current hold out in Baltimore. I really don't see them even inquiring, let alone bringing in, Lamar Jackson.

27 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Matthew Stafford was up to 61% completion in his senior season and he struggled at times early in his career in accuracy and even in his Super Bowl season he still lead the league in interceptions. Richardson is at 53% completion. That's almost Tim Boyle bad. 

stafford went from 52 to 55 to 61.  that's not a leaps and bounds improvement.  also, stafford started for three straight seasons.  richardson started for one season and was at 53.  almost the same as stafford's first two years and not really far off his third.

i think its a fair comparison, but theyre such different types of qbs that its not really an apples to apples thing.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

stafford went from 52 to 55 to 61.  that's not a leaps and bounds improvement.  also, stafford started for three straight seasons.  richardson started for one season and was at 53.  almost the same as stafford's first two years and not really far off his third.

i think its a fair comparison, but theyre such different types of qbs that its not really an apples to apples thing.

So some team is going to draft him in the top 10 when he really needs to spend another year in college. 

• Like 1