Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I highly doubt the Lions would go down this route but it seems more pluasible than drafting a backup QB 6th. 

How so?

Paying a part time QB who isn't a great passer max money while also giving up two 1sts (a Goff trade is unlikely to recoup a 1st) is more preferable to keeping the draft capital, drafting a high upside QB and having Goff for one possibly two relatively cheap years?

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I highly doubt the Lions would go down this route but it seems more pluasible than drafting a backup QB 6th. 

The lions could get a healthier, younger version of a Richardson. Not to mention cheaper.

although after the combine they might have to trade up. 

I wouldn’t go after Jackson. Dude is injury prone at this stage. Don’t trust him. Not that I trust Goff either. 

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This sucks for the Lions but good for him.  He earned it on the field and will probably get overpaid by someone else.

Hopefully it’s not Chicago.

Oh God comisky in Chicago, he comes another two pages on chicago stadium issues

25 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think Chark being there is somewhat of an encouraging sign. I wouldn't read too much into Jamaal not being there. He only had 16 targets all season, he's not exactly a pass catching threat.

I should clarify I meant Jameson. I do think Chark being there is a good sign. Not sure I would be working out with players if I knew I wasn't going to be on the team but players from other teams workout together in the offseason so it wouldn't be unheard of. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I should clarify I meant Jameson. I do think Chark being there is a good sign. Not sure I would be working out with players if I knew I wasn't going to be on the team but players from other teams workout together in the offseason so it wouldn't be unheard of. 

That makes more sense. It is odd he wouldn't be there. He's super active on Twitter, but I don't see anything indicating where he might be doing his off-season workouts.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

That makes more sense. It is odd he wouldn't be there. He's super active on Twitter, but I don't see anything indicating where he might be doing his off-season workouts.

And he's the most critical guy that needs to get timing down with Goff.

Everyone else has a good amount of experience with Goff/ timing.

Jameson close to zero.

It's nice to hear, at least in one singular report, that Holmes is willing to be aggressive in free agency or via trade to make this team better. This team has a window to win now and is ahead of schedule on the rebuild. They should be aggressive in working to make this team better for next year in my view. We'll see what pans out when it starts next week, but this is at least semi-encouraging. I don't want to hear any of that Ken Holland-esque "we like our team" BS coming from this organization. Be aggressive this year to win big next year. That means getting a Jalen Ramsey, Jamel Dean, Dalvin Tomlinson, whoever in the offseason.

I want them to be in win now mode not cause their window is closing cause of course that isn't the case but I just want them to take advantage of a weak division and conference that is there for the taking with the right upgrades.

Who knows what the conference will look like in 3 years but right now its weak and we should try to strike while it's in this state. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I want them to be in win now mode not cause their window is closing cause of course that isn't the case but I just want them to take advantage of a weak division and conference that is there for the taking with the right upgrades.

Who knows what the conference will look like in 3 years but right now its weak and we should try to strike while it's in this state. 

The team to watch out for in the division could be Chicago. Minnesota is not in a good cap situation, they have an aging roster and Kirk Cousins is turning 35 and in the last year of his contract. Green Bay looks to be moving on from Rodgers and their roster had some holes. Chicago has a ton of cap space and will have a bounty of good picks. If Fields is the real deal they are a threat. Probably not next year but soon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The team to watch out for in the division could be Chicago. Minnesota is not in a good cap situation, they have an aging roster and Kirk Cousins is turning 35 and in the last year of his contract. Green Bay looks to be moving on from Rodgers and their roster had some holes. Chicago has a ton of cap space and will have a bounty of good picks. If Fields is the real deal they are a threat. Probably not next year but soon. 

Agreed if they play their cards right and Fields improves they could be dangerous by 2024.

44 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yes, Houston’s win could haunt the Lions for years. Chicago may parlay that #1 pick into three top tier starters. 

I’m not sold that Fields will ever develop into an average passer, but he may have a few more 1000 yard rushing seasons in him before his body gets beat up. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Chicago's leadership didn't inspire fear in me by trading what turned into the #32 overall pick for Chase Claypool. They have the draft capital and cap space to prove me wrong, but I think there's a decent chance they're blowing it up again by 2025.

20 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Chicago's leadership didn't inspire fear in me by trading what turned into the #32 overall pick for Chase Claypool. They have the draft capital and cap space to prove me wrong, but I think there's a decent chance they're blowing it up again by 2025.

they may OBTAIN draft capital, but they dont have a lot of it right now.  as you say, they traded a prime pick for chase freaking claypool, who was terrible for them.

they have mountains of cap space and could be a recipticle for teams needing to cut decent aging players for cap space, like deandre hopkins or mike evans.