Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

The Claypool trade was a clunker. They still have Baltimore's 2nd from the Roquan Smith trade. The Lions and Bears had roughly the same average age and were among the youngest teams in the NFL and the Lions won 9 games and the Bears were one of the worst teams in the league. If I had to rank the teams in the North based on their position right now and not necessarily wins, I would go Lions, Bears, Packers Vikings. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Vikings are releasing Thielen. At 32 isn't a long term solution but if we don't resign Chark or draft a WR he could be a 1 year filler for outside receiver. Had 76 grabs and 6 TDs last year so he isn't completely finished. 

Low chance. He's now the best FA WR on the market. Someone will pay him.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

they may OBTAIN draft capital, but they dont have a lot of it right now.  as you say, they traded a prime pick for chase freaking claypool, who was terrible for them.

they have mountains of cap space and could be a recipticle for teams needing to cut decent aging players for cap space, like deandre hopkins or mike evans.

Correct. I'm anticipating the trade. Though hopefully they'll screw that up too.

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Increased supply may help cool the market on Chark. I’d like him back if it’s not something massive like 4/$60 million. 

I think Chark is gone regardless. He's somewhat of a luxury player and I don't see Holmes splurging on a luxury. I also think the WR market is playing out in Chark's favor, somebody will pay him more than he's worth. I don't think a 32 year old Thielen changes the WR market much, supply of quality receivers is very thin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

So Chark may not have been working out with Goff and the other receivers. If he was in Detroit they means he could have been negotiating his new contract. No word on if his wife was in Dearborn buying a blue cake. 

Hopefully the Pistons aren't going to bid for his services too. He might be better than some of the players they are trotting out there these days.

21 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

That makes more sense. It is odd he wouldn't be there. He's super active on Twitter, but I don't see anything indicating where he might be doing his off-season workouts.

Anyone hear the comments from Holmes on Jaymo?  

Should be cued up at the right time, but it starts at 5:05 incase the timestamp in the link doesn't work.

8 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Anyone hear the comments from Holmes on Jaymo?  

Should be cued up at the right time, but it starts at 5:05 incase the timestamp in the link doesn't work.

Yeah I heard that before.  I didn't take anything negative from that - the only thing that you can really point to is "Jameson has to do his part" - but I didn't take that to mean that he hasn't been.

I think Jamo will be just fine, I'm sure being an alpha like him it probably was frustrating busting your ass to rehab from an injury only to really only be used as a decoy for the most part. Not saying that was wrong of the Lions but from his stand point I could understand being a little frustrated. 

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

I think Chark is gone regardless. He's somewhat of a luxury player and I don't see Holmes splurging on a luxury. I also think the WR market is playing out in Chark's favor, somebody will pay him more than he's worth. I don't think a 32 year old Thielen changes the WR market much, supply of quality receivers is very thin.

An X receiver is not a luxury. Team was 7-4 when he played, 2-4 with him out. 

Between the whispers of the Rams wanting Ramsey out because of locker room issues, Ramsey’s slight decline last year, and Ramsey wanting to go to Miami (IOW at least not primarily wanting to go to Detroit), I have zero issue with not engaging in the trade discussions.

This was very likely not the case of the Lions being “outbid”, but rather Holmes not being interested for one reason or another.

That said, I still fully expect the position to be addressed in free agency.

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Between the whispers of the Rams wanting Ramsey out because of locker room issues, Ramsey’s slight decline last year, and Ramsey wanting to go to Miami (IOW at least not primarily wanting to go to Detroit), I have zero issue with not engaging in the trade discussions.

This was very likely not the case of the Lions being “outbid”, but rather Holmes not being interested for one reason or another.

That said, I still fully expect the position to be addressed in free agency.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Sucks if true and kind of nullifies my second point. The Dolphins being the best “fit” and being reported my multiple sources is interesting. I wonder how hard he pushed for Miami and if it turned the Lions away. I trust Holmes to find a Ramsey in the draft though.

I don’t have a Freep subscription, but I think this strategy quoted makes sense. Not to say they should ‘rule out’ guys for being too good or too highly rated (and I don’t think that’s what he’s saying), but rather knowing what you’re comfortable spending and having a list of guys who will improve your team in that budget. Worrying more about improvements than the ‘flashy’ signing, kind of like Chark last year.