Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Anzalone had a one-year / $1.75MM deal in 21 and a one-year / $2.25MM deal in 22. On what planet did he deserve three more years and a raise tripling his annual salary based off of his total performance over those two years? If there were other teams offering him that much, let him freaking walk.

There is not much that could have annoyed me in free agency. Over-paying and over-extending for a guy who was out-performed by a 6th round rookie until very late in the season though? That'll do it.

• Thanks 1

I find it so funny that people get bent out of shape of marginal NFL contracts before they even see the structure. I’m guessing it won’t be hard to get out after 1 or 2 years for the lions. There was never a doubt they wanted Alex back if you followed this team at all. The LB market isn’t exactly strong and the bears just gave out $50M guaranteed for the least important defensive position.  This is simply a meh type move, nothing exciting or aggravating about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I will say that reading around on the signing is lowering my blood pressure to healthier levels. His season last year may have been better than I give him credit for. I'll be more sensible and calm down until the numbers are released. 

He did get better as the year went on and made some nice plays but very uninspiring singing. 

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I will say that reading around on the signing is lowering my blood pressure to healthier levels. His season last year may have been better than I give him credit for. I'll be more sensible and calm down until the numbers are released. 

He's a very athletic backer who was plagued by injury and inconsistency earlier in his career, who last year was healthy and consistent.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

He’s got a great attitude and makes a ton of tackles.  Unfortunately, most of those tackles are about 3 yards further down the field than where a faster and more athletic LB makes the tackle.  

He’s great at letting a 2nd & 7 become a 2nd & 4 

Not a huge fan of the Anzalone deal but he was quite good the second half of last season (which some folks seem to be forgetting) so if he carries that into next season, I won't have a problem with this deal. Need to see the full structure of the contact before final judgment, the guaranteed money in particular.

Edited by NYLion

5 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

I find it so funny that people get bent out of shape of marginal NFL contracts before they even see the structure. I’m guessing it won’t be hard to get out after 1 or 2 years for the lions. There was never a doubt they wanted Alex back if you followed this team at all. The LB market isn’t exactly strong and the bears just gave out $50M guaranteed for the least important defensive position.  This is simply a meh type move, nothing exciting or aggravating about it. 

I agree with this, but I think it goes both ways. I think Detroit is by far the best place to be in 2023 if you're Alex Anzalone. This coaching staff turned him from a player on the brink of irrelevance, let walk by the Saints, and turned him into a (sometimes) okay starting linebacker. On better teams, he probably doesn't make the 53-man out of camp in 2021 and/or 22.

Why triple his salary? He should want to be here just as much, if not more, than we want him here.

I will say if they can easily get out after a year, I'll settle down considerably.

AZ was not horrible but he was very average.  He’s probably not a starter on a good team.  This is an area where they could’ve used an upgrade.  He’s also getting older and they’ve given him a 3 year deal for a significant raise.  Hopefully, the terms come in and it’s a glorified 1 year deal.   

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm OK with this move.

Not up, or down... I guess... meh.

But...

I'll feel a WHOLE lot better if Holmes drafts a top-3 rounds LB'er who is fast and furious and the team believes they can develop the guy into a near-future starting (or star) level LB'er...

Anzalone can teach the kid how to take his job.