Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

29 minutes ago, KL2 said:

It is useless, sorry. 

There is no weight for a first round pick versus a late round pick. There is no consieration for whether a player makes a team. The sample size is too small and having a pro-bowler could easily impact the decision. 

Let's look at some possible scnerios.

The Cardinals have pick 210, they take a QB knowing they would like to find a third QB for the roster for camp to take the load of Murray. They take one, he doens't make the team but is put on the practice squad for six games and is cut. Then who cares?

The Eagles landed two good receivers in teh draft 6 years ago and now are paying them each $15 million. They have decided to dedicate money elsewhere so for backups they just keep using low round picks on WR and churring through them in two years and letting them go. 

There are too many items that can throw this report into wacko land and dramtically increase or decrease percentages. That is what makes it usueless. It lacks any context or weight as we know first round picks are more targeted selections than a seven round guy when many teams might take an 8th or 9th guy and he has no real shot to make a roster. 

And yeah I knew WR was where they invested the most when you break it down like this. Most teams will carry what 6 guys and maybe a kick returner that is usually a WR. That is what like 14 percent of the entire roster so it makes sense they spent draft capital there. It would probably be Oline, but the survey broke down T, G, C while not breaking down inside or outside WR.

So so wrong.   The entire thing is weighted based on which round the picks are in.  

The Cardinals spent 26% of draft capital the last 5 years on QB.  This doesn’t mean they drafted 8 QBs.   They drafted 2 but both were in the top 10 overall.    

What the hell does it matter whether a player made the team or was a pro bowler.  It’s only measuring what position teams have emphasized on draft day.  

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I've seen one questionable source say it. Jamaal by no means has re-signed yet. The makret for running backs really hasn't taken shape yet. Only one I have seen sign is Mostart. 

It’s probably from the Twitter accounts of Iain Rappoport and Alan Scheftter

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

It's amazing how many people fall for fake twitter accounts. The fun one yesterday was Jakobi Meyers signing for 5 years $87m or something like that and people running with it. He signed for 3 years $33m today which makes a lot more sense.

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The one I saw was from the unverified "NFL Free Agency Rumors" account on Twitter, with like 400 followers. Those ones typically throw shit at the wall and hope something sticks and they can run with it as "see my 'sources' had it first!" for more followers

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The one I saw was from the unverified "NFL Free Agency Rumors" account on Twitter, with like 400 followers. Those ones typically throw shit at the wall and hope something sticks and they can run with it as "see my 'sources' had it first!" for more followers

That's where I found it. That account also retweets the real Schefter and Rappaport a lot to give it a sense of legitimacy. 

I wish I could find the parody somebody made a few years ago about Rodgers and his demands. It was based off the scene in The Office where Michael Scott tries sellng his paper company back to Dunder Mifflin. It was great and 3-4 years later its even more relevant. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wish I could find the parody somebody made a few years ago about Rodgers and his demands. It was based off the scene in The Office where Michael Scott tries sellng his paper company back to Dunder Mifflin. It was great and 3-4 years later its even more relevant. 

I always forget Aaron Rodgers did actually make a cameo in The Office. Thankfully that was when the show was terrible and I have no desire to re-watch it. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I always forget Aaron Rodgers did actually make a cameo in The Office. Thankfully that was when the show was terrible and I have no desire to re-watch it. 

Yeah he did but the thing I'm talking about wasn't actually him, just somebody that photoshopped him over Michael Scotts face along with various other Packers players and Management with the other characters involved in that scene.

From what remember it was great, they had Randall Cobb play the role of Ryan since on the show Michael demanded that Ryan be hired back. 

Unfortunately on YT when I search "Aarom Rodgers The Office" or anything like that all I get is the cameo you're referencing.

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah he did but the thing I'm talking about wasn't actually him just somebody that photoshopped him over Michael Scotts face along with various other Packers players and Management with the other characters involved in that scene. 

Unfortunately on YT when I search "Aarom Rodgers The Office" or anything like that all I get is the cameo you're referencing. 

That sounds familiar. I feel like it was shared on the old forum. Great Aaron Rodgers meme lost forever on the old forum. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

That sounds familiar. I feel like it was shared on the old forum. Great Aaron Rodgers meme lost forever on the old forum. 

Yeah I believe I shared it. Crazy to think that it is just as if not more relevant than it was when the person created it, I'm pretty sure it was pre pandemic so it's been a little while now. Watch 5 years from now I'll be bringing this up again after Aaron holds a team hostage again. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

According to Jon Jansen this morning legally Lamar isn't allowed to talk to any teams until I believe tomorrow or sometime later this week.  He said the first days teams can only talk to the players agent(who is certified by the NFLPA) and since Lamar is representing himself teams can't talk to him. 

Judging by his tweet unless it's the Ravens somebody is breaking the rules. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

According to Jon Jansen this morning legally Lamar isn't allowed to talk to any teams until I believe tomorrow or sometime later this week.  He said the first days teams can only talk to the players agent(who is certified by the NFLPA) and since Lamar is representing himself teams can't talk to him. 

Judging by his tweet unless it's the Ravens somebody is breaking the rules. 

His tweet was in response to he turning down $200 million guaranteed from the Ravens.