Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

people hate paying running backs.

Generally, I subscribe to this belief. That said, I don't foresee Swift receiving an extension. If they do take a running back in the draft, they'll have $6MM or so plus a rookie contract on the books for the next three years. That's not the "paying running backs" that a team should stay away from.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, buddha said:

everyone hates this signing, but i dont mind it.  i think montgomery is a good back and the lions want to get off the bus running the ball.

I get the feeling that most Lions fans like the signing but were also attached to Williams so more conflicted than anything. On the field, he's a better player so taking the emotional attachment away I don't see how this is anything but a positive.

I know that 2nd contracts to RBs can be problematic but this is a fairly low risk contract, 6m/yr for arguably a top 10 RB that is durable and 25 years old is fine value.

Montgomery has about the same number of career carries as Jamaal at roughly 900. That's not a small number but I don't think it's a major number either and in theory atleast his shiftiness and ability to make people miss should mean that he has taken less of the devastating direct blows which are of course more taxing on the body. 

11 hours ago, KL2 said:

"The team could have had more rushing yards with more broken tackles"

Ya think?!

"We also could have won more games if we'd only scored more points." Ben Johnson.... probably.

Seriously though I suspect it's more than just "break tackles and we get more yards."  I suspect it's more like: "We saw too many instances where the first guy to get there brought down the RB... higher than league average."

10 hours ago, buddha said:

everyone hates this signing, but i dont mind it.  i think montgomery is a good back and the lions want to get off the bus running the ball.

Has anyone really said they don't like it?  I saw a lot of people being surprised and some being disappointed that J-Will won't be coming back, but I don't think anyone said they hated it.

Just now, RedRamage said:

Has anyone really said they don't like it?  I saw a lot of people being surprised and some being disappointed that J-Will won't be coming back, but I don't think anyone said they hated it.

I think most of the folks with the more advanced metric point of view dont like it but that's just their philosophy is to not sign FA running backs unless its dirt cheap.  I don't think people necessarily dislike the player or fit though. 

10 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Next on the list is either re-signing Chark or signing his replacement. I would also like the Lions to consider signing Robbie Gould as I'm not confident in Badgely. 

I think if the Lions sign Chark it's a bad sign for Jaymo.  Jaymo is supposed to be the deep threat and so we shouldn't need Chark on top of him.  I'm probably reading too much into it, but if they sign Chark (especially if it's a long contact) that will make be worried about Jaymo.

Just now, RedRamage said:

I think if the Lions sign Chark it's a bad sign for Jaymo.  Jaymo is supposed to be the deep threat and so we shouldn't need Chark on top of him.  I'm probably reading too much into it, but if they sign Chark (especially if it's a long contact) that will make be worried about Jaymo.

Not really. The Lions run a lot of 11 personnel. In today's NFL you need 3 good receivers. St Brown is your slot guy, Williams is your deep outside threat, they need an X receiver on the outside who can make contested catches. I also don't see Williams as a high volume receiver but more of their big play threat. Probably tops out at about 65 catches. 

10 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

You want to go into the season with Williams, St Brown and Reynolds as your top three? Aim higher.

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Not sure why people want to trade Swift now. He's the perfect compliment to Montgomery. 

Well, sure... but if we traded Swift then our running backs would be:
image.png.dc4ba295887b768c16c0cda5c2879d7c.png

And clearly having the ability to refer to our RBs with a defunct retail's name is more important than having a good team, so... get it do Holmes!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Disagree. The Lions have nobody with Chark's size and speed combo that can catch 50/50 balls, Jamo doesn't supply that. Without Chark, the Lions have a #1 in Amon Ra but still more of a slot guy, a question mark in Jamo and a few #3/4 guys.

They need Chark or at least somebody to replace his production/presence. I wouldn't overpay Chark (I'd give him the Meyers contract at max) but he'd need to be replaced with a drafted WR most likely.

27 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If I'm the Jets I don't think I'm paying two firsts to Rodgers. The big difference between Rodgers and Stafford is age.  When Stafford was traded he was 32.  Rodgers is 39 now. It's unlikely you'll get more than a three years, at best, out of Rodgers, and it's also likely that his skills are going to be declining sharply.

Maybe the Jets get a SB out of Rodgers and then hey... whatever the cost it was worth it because you got the trophy.  But I'm not sure I'm putting that much future assets into a guy who's declining and will be gone soon (not to mention all the off the field weird stuff).

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

If I'm the Jets I don't think I'm paying two firsts to Rodgers. The big difference between Rodgers and Stafford is age.  When Stafford was traded he was 32.  Rodgers is 39 now. It's unlikely you'll get more than a three years, at best, out of Rodgers, and it's also likely that his skills are going to be declining sharply.

Maybe the Jets get a SB out of Rodgers and then hey... whatever the cost it was worth it because you got the trophy.  But I'm not sure I'm putting that much future assets into a guy who's declining and will be gone soon (not to mention all the off the field weird stuff).

I'm also told an extra 1st was sent to the Lions to offload Goff's contract. It's 50/50 whether Aaron Rodgers plays in 2024. The Jets will be going through this drama every year until he finally retires or they just cut ties with him. The Jets really have a good team and just need a QB to plug in. I would have signed Carr and kept my picks.