Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

45 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Disagree. The Lions have nobody with Chark's size and speed combo that can catch 50/50 balls, Jamo doesn't supply that. Without Chark, the Lions have a #1 in Amon Ra but still more of a slot guy, a question mark in Jamo and a few #3/4 guys.

They need Chark or at least somebody to replace his production/presence. I wouldn't overpay Chark (I'd give him the Meyers contract at max) but he'd need to be replaced with a drafted WR most likely.

First round WR are expected to produce.  Josh reynolds and Raymond are your 3rd/4th guys on the depth chart. Which is fine. 

Swift and Montgomery are good pass catchers as well.

Edited by digitalpigsmuggler

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Has anyone really said they don't like it?  I saw a lot of people being surprised and some being disappointed that J-Will won't be coming back, but I don't think anyone said they hated it.

espn gave it a C-.  walterfootball gave it an F.  

I think a lot of us here have strong opinions that Montgomery will be better - possibly a lot better - behind a substantially better offensive line. 201 carries for 801 yards and 5 TDs isn't that amazing when compared to Jamaal's 262 carries for 1066 yards and 17 TDs... If Montgomery comes here and puts up 801 yards and 5 TDs in Jamaal's role, I think that will be disappointing and those grades will be appropriate.

But if he can gain an extra yard or two per carry behind this offensive line, like the missed tackle rates suggest is possible, it's a different story completely.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think a lot of us here have strong opinions that Montgomery will be better - possibly a lot better - behind a substantially better offensive line. 201 carries for 801 yards and 5 TDs isn't that amazing when compared to Jamaal's 262 carries for 1066 yards and 17 TDs... If Montgomery comes here and puts up 801 yards and 5 TDs in Jamaal's role, I think that will be disappointing and those grades will be appropriate.

But if he can gain an extra yard or two per carry behind this offensive line, like the missed tackle rates suggest is possible, it's a different story completely.

Swift was at the top of the league with 3.8 yards before contact per rushing attempt. Craig Reynolds had 3.0 ybc/carry. Jamaal had 2.5 (reflecting his short yardage usage). Montgomery had just 2.1. 

Montgomery had 1.9 yards after contact.  Jamaal had 1.6, Reynolds 1.5, Swift 1.7. 

With the extra yard or so before contact that this OL will provide him, Montgomery should have a nice season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Will Harris wasn't that bad last year and he gives you flexibility. I'm not surprised by the total amount of the contract but rather that it is all guaranteed. I figured like half that amount would be guaranteed. 

Harris is a depth/rotational guy.   Nothing wrong with keeping him around.   Amari's probably gone.      That was a quick downfall.  

I hate myself for turning this on. He's so dramatic, self-absorbed, and annoying. He just called himself the best player in Packers history.

Sounds like the Packers want to use everything that's gone down against the Jets. If Rodgers had decided to play for the Jets two weeks ago, this deal is probably done. Now they've gone and signed Lazard, watched all the other QBs sign elsewhere, and clearly have all their chips in one basket. Two weeks ago, everything was stacked against the Packers, and they needed to move Rodgers. Now, both sides need to get this done. Rodgers cost his future team all their leverage by being a drama queen.