Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Buccaneers re-sign LB Lavonte David for 1 year @ $7 million. Woulda loved to have had him here, even if it took a little more money to pry him away from Tampa Bay, versus what we paid Anzalone. I was told he and Bobby Wagner were going to want 3 year deals and way more money. I wonder what David would have said if Holmes offered him 1 @ $10 million?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I have a feeling Williams overplayed his hand. He and the Lions were far apart so the Lions moved on and the rest of the league valued him the same as the Lions. 

The Saints seem like a good fit. I'm not sure where they keep finding money though. 

I think the length of contract may have been the sticking point more than money. A three-year deal for a 25-26yo RB is very different than a three-year deal for a 27-28yo RB. It's possible the "far apart" was that the Lions wanted him for 1 year / $4MM and he just didn't want to take a one-year deal. Which I understand.

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

I think the length of contract may have been the sticking point more than money. A three-year deal for a 25-26yo RB is very different than a three-year deal for a 27-28yo RB. It's possible the "far apart" was that the Lions wanted him for 1 year / $4MM and he just didn't want to take a one-year deal. Which I understand.

I'll go out on a limb and say that three year is effectively more like a two year deal like the Montgomery contract. Looking at it from a pure football perspective, I think Montgomery is the better player and glad the Lions spent more. Every indication is Montgomery is a good clubhouse guy so that won't affect the team. I think it's all about the fans emotional attachment to Williams and they will get over it. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that three year is effectively more like a two year deal like the Montgomery contract. Looking at it from a pure football perspective, I think Montgomery is the better player and glad the Lions spent more. Every indication is Montgomery is a good clubhouse guy so that won't affect the team. I think it's all about the fans emotional attachment to Williams and they will get over it. 

Probably. But even a two-year deal to a league age 28yo RB is risky business. He's likely one knee injury from retirement. This is probably the last multi-year contract he'll sign, so I understand maximizing your length and guaranteed money.

I also think Holmes probably had his eye on Montgomery notwithstanding Jamaal. He certainly wasn't desperate to bring Jamaal back.

I agree that fans will get over it by the time the draft rolls around.

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

The Eagles have lost some key players from last year’s Super Bowl team.  Are the Lions, with their recent additions and impending draft picks, in the conversation for best team in the NFC next year?

49ers probably ahead

But you could make the case lions, cowboys are the next in line.

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Buccaneers re-sign LB Lavonte David for 1 year @ $7 million. Woulda loved to have had him here, even if it took a little more money to pry him away from Tampa Bay, versus what we paid Anzalone. I was told he and Bobby Wagner were going to want 3 year deals and way more money. I wonder what David would have said if Holmes offered him 1 @ $10 million?

Still haven't seen the Anzalone terms. DetroitLions.com doesn't even say the dollar amount, just that "additional terms were not disclosed." https://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-re-sign-lb-alex-anzalone-to-contract-extension-through-the-2025-season 

Makes me wonder if only the first year is guaranteed. And AAV is $6.25 million, but it's probably spread out more like $5.5 million, $6 million, $7.25 million, where he'll never see the third year.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

There was a time when the Lions were heavily interested in Johnson. May be worth taking a flyer on. 

Clowney seemingly made an entire career off of an ESPN Top 10 highlight reel hit on Michigan's Vincent Smith in a bowl game. Clowney, for where he was drafted, has had a pedestrian career, never once totaling double digit sack totals.

1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

Still haven't seen the Anzalone terms. DetroitLions.com doesn't even say the dollar amount, just that "additional terms were not disclosed." https://www.detroitlions.com/news/lions-re-sign-lb-alex-anzalone-to-contract-extension-through-the-2025-season 

Makes me wonder if only the first year is guaranteed. And AAV is $6.25 million, but it's probably spread out more like $5.5 million, $6 million, $7.25 million, where he'll never see the third year.

That's how most nfl contracts are.

I'll gues something like 3 million is given upfront so his cap hit this year is like 3 million, next year 6.5 million and then big money I'm year three with 1 million in dead cap.

7 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

The Eagles have lost some key players from last year’s Super Bowl team.  Are the Lions, with their recent additions and impending draft picks, in the conversation for best team in the NFC next year?

I do believe we are in a unique position, with a great offseason, to be one of, if not the best team in the NFC next year. I do believe we have had a really nice offseason so far, but bringing in a Bobby Wagner or Lavonte David turns good into great. It could turn the 3rd or 4th best team in the NFC into the best team in the NFC.

This is why I wanted a Bobby Wagner or Lavonte David signing versus resigning Anzalone. It's not that Anzalone is a bad football player, he is not. I just feel that a Wagner or David elevate your defense to a level that Anzalone simply cannot due to him hitting his ceiling talent wise.