Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions have four picks in the first two rounds of the draft. They don't need to address all their needs in free agency. 

No but also counting on 4 rookies to make an immediate impact is also not a good strategy either. 

If we don't sign Chark I'll be holding out hope that this will mean we will be a possibility for my boy Quentin Johnston in the draft. 

Not sure if Holmes will want to spend another 1st on a WR but if we don't get him I hope he gets a bigger bodied outside receiver at some point in the draft cause I think having that guy makes the offense so much better as evident of when Chark was healthy and playing. 

Fyi ESPN gave the Miles Sanders Panthers deal the same C- they gave the Montgomery deal and while slightly better they gave the Saints a C for the Jamaal deal.

Just shows that really no matter who we signed folks with the dont pay for RBs philosophy weren't going to like it. 

I find that funny though when many of these same folks have rbs ranked higher on their FA lists than players from other positions yet will chastise you for signing one but praise you for signing a player from anther position that they had ranked lower on their rankings to begin with.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I'm surprised someone as sensitive as Aaron Rodgers would go to New York. 

Lol gotta love the NY headlines and yeah it'll be interesting to see how he handles the media there. I don't know much about GB/Milwaukee media but I imagine they are alot more civil and understanding than the NY media.

14 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I do believe we are in a unique position, with a great offseason, to be one of, if not the best team in the NFC next year. I do believe we have had a really nice offseason so far, but bringing in a Bobby Wagner or Lavonte David turns good into great. It could turn the 3rd or 4th best team in the NFC into the best team in the NFC.

This is why I wanted a Bobby Wagner or Lavonte David signing versus resigning Anzalone. It's not that Anzalone is a bad football player, he is not. I just feel that a Wagner or David elevate your defense to a level that Anzalone simply cannot due to him hitting his ceiling talent wise.

I highly doubt that David wanted to leave Tampa, he clearly took a discount to stay, and I'd bet that Wagner will either go to a SB contender or back to Seattle. Not that I'm a big fan of the Anzalone deal but it's better that they got him locked up early rather than end up with nobody or some lower tier guy who needs to learn the system.

I would not be surprised if on Monday Holmes and Co. contacted all the top LBs or their agents to get a feeling to what they wanted and/or if there was any interest in coming here. 

If they came across a little apprehensive about coming or their price was too high they said screw it and went back and rewarded AA who they like anyway.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I would not be surprised if on Monday Holmes and Co. contacted all the top LBs or their agents to get a feeling to what they wanted and/or if there was any interest in coming here. 

If they came across a little apprehensive about coming or their price was too high they said screw it and went back and rewarded AA who they like anyway.

I feel confident that Holmes does his homework. People are still upset about the Anzalone deal but we don’t know what it is. Undoubtedly it is far more team-friendly than it appears. And I think the coaching staff knows Anzalone better and values him more highly than fans do.  

I trust Brad and I'm not doubting any particular move he has made but even the best GMs make mistakes from time to time so I don't think there is anything wrong with questioning a move that looks pretty egregious on the surface. Again though speaking in generalities and not any specific move he has done.

i like brad holmes as much as the next guy but he isnt infallible.  he traded for trinity benson and drafted levi onzuwirike for goodness sake.

that said, i dont see too much wrong with what they've done.  took a flyer on moody, upgraded at running back, got cominsky back, sutton is a decent gamble to take.

and they have a bunch of picks.  i still think they grab at least one corner early and a defensive lineman.  

(and i'm still sort of hoping for anthony richardson because part of me likes to watch the world burn, lol)

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If Glasgow is a starter, that means 4/5 of a very good offensive line was drafted by Bob Quinn. Have to admit, he knew how to draft offensive linemen. 

Drafting OL early is a safe bet. That was the only kind of bet Quinn made until he put all his chips on his boy Fatty P.