Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Interested to see what happens with Vaitai.   It’s really up to him.   They would be happy to keep him as the starter but not for $12M.   I’d think the number for the Lions would be half that and maybe more with incentive.  Will he take it or go try the market?  The Lions will go to plan B and won’t wait around for Vaitai if he does test it.  

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

He fits that Evan Brown profile but $4.5m seems like a lot for a backup G/C.

I think he’s basically the 6th offensive lineman. We saw last season how quickly we made it to backup #2 when Vaitai went down and Kraemer followed in the same week. Not to mention how many weeks we had one of Jackson or Ragnow out.

Whether you bring Vaitai back or draft a rookie guard, you’ll want a sure thing behind them. I think that’s Glasgow’s role.

3 hours ago, buddha said:

dont know the terms, but i like the signing.  does vatai get cut now?

I would say after the draft.

Draft a starting Guard and even if they don't take over the starting spot right away, Glasgow can start.

In fact, I think Glasgow is more an Evan Brown guy than a Vatai replacement. I know Glasgow has started... but I think he can get pushed aside (it's also only a 1-year deal) when the time is right. Even if that's 2024 not 2023. So... draft a Guard, and drop Vatai, and take it from there...

But if they DON'T get the guard that they want in the draft... then I think they hold onto both Vatai and Glasgow.

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything on Vaitai yet unless he is one of those guys where they save alot more if he is cut June 1st and theyre just waiting till then. 

They save about $3 million more if they cut him post June 1st. They don't need the cap space now so there is no point to cut him now. They could designate him as a June 1st cut and that would make him a free agent immediately. I think he makes it to training camp and is evaluated to see if he's healthy and given an opportunity to make the roster. 

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They save about $3 million more if they cut him post June 1st. They don't need the cap space now so there is no point to cut him now. They could designate him as a June 1st cut and that would make him a free agent immediately. I think he makes it to training camp and is evaluated to see if he's healthy and given an opportunity to make the roster. 

Even if healthy, they aren’t paying him $12m next season.   He will have to accept some type of rework to stick around until training camp.