Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

If that is the case, they should release him now so he can catch on with another team. 

They would like to keep him at a lower number but there may not be agreement on what that looks like yet.  

He was the paid his last contract to play RT and his salary now reflects the 12th highest paid G in the league.   I can’t see anyone else paying him close to that if he hits the market.  Lions and his agent  may be waiting it out to see who else signs and what fair market works out for him.  

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

When you see what a better player like Lavonte David signed for in Tampa Bay it makes this deal that much harder to accept. I trust Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell on the whole and like what they are doing, but as Buddha said earlier, they are infallible people. I just can't help but wonder if we could have gotten one of David or Bobby Wagner at that price.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When you see what a better player like Lavonte David signed for in Tampa Bay it makes this deal that much harder to accept. I trust Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell on the whole and like what they are doing, but as Buddha said earlier, they are infallible people. I just can't help but wonder if we could have gotten one of David or Bobby Wagner at that price.

What if Holmes tried?  We assume that we are the first choice for every free agent.  Sometimes signing someone is a result of missing out on another player.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

What if Holmes tried?  We assume that we are the first choice for every free agent.  Sometimes signing someone is a result of missing out on another player.

If a report comes out that he tried going after David or Wagner then great. I suspect that they wanted their own guy back in Anzalone all along, but of course don't know for certain.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

lavonte david is old and may not have wanted to leave tampa.  bobby wagner is also old.

when those guys lose a step, its over.  

but holmes is NOT infallible, its possible this is a mistake and they could have upgraded.  lets see how david and wagner play moving forward.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If a report comes out that he tried going after David or Wagner then great. I suspect that they wanted their own guy back in Anzalone all along, but of course don't know for certain.

What report do you hope to see?  I don’t think Holmes is the type to run a loose ship where rumors get leaked.  Pretty sure no one saw most of the free agents we signed coming until they were announced.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

lavonte david is old and may not have wanted to leave tampa.  bobby wagner is also old.

when those guys lose a step, its over.  

but holmes is NOT infallible, its possible this is a mistake and they could have upgraded.  lets see how david and wagner play moving forward.

Sorry, I missed the not part in my post. Maybe the upgrade comes in the form of a draft pick who eventually out players Anzalone. I sorta think the book is out on Anzalone himself, but maybe he just outperforms expectations as well.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

What report do you hope to see?  I don’t think Holmes is the type to run a loose ship where rumors get leaked.  Pretty sure no one saw most of the free agents we signed coming until they were announced.

I wouldn't expect anything to leak on Holmes' end, but a players agent could leak something out to an Adam Schefter, Ian Rappaport, Dave Birkett after the fact. I doubt we'll hear much, if anything, about whether or not the Lions were in on David or Wagner.

Badgeley back with the Lions, a little disappointing cause I would have liked somebody that was more proven but I guess he has been automatic from inside the 40 so he atleast has that. 

Considering the Lions aggressive nature on 4th downs in the 30-50 yard line I guess they don't care as much about his percentages from there since they probably don't plan to be kicking much anyway. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

They don’t count Anzalone’s 2021 season against him the way fans do. They know the defense was a mess that season, and last season until the AP firing. They are projecting his contributions to the team’s play down the stretch into future performance, maintaining continuity in their defense, and still paying him at the low end of the FA range. It’s not a splashy move but is perfectly reasonable. 

Edited by Jason_R
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

They don’t count Anzalone’s 2021 season against him the way fans do. They know the defense was a mess that season, and last season until the AP firing. They are projecting his contributions to the team’s play down the stretch into future performance, maintaining continuity in their defense, and still paying him at the low end of the FA range. It’s not a splashy move but is perfectly reasonable. 

This seems right, but it also seems extremely selective. "He was really really bad for these 24 games, so we are going to ignore those, blame others for it, and focus on (some of) the 10 games that came after that."

Edited by MichiganCardinal
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This seems right, but it also seems extremely selective. "He was really really bad for these 24 games, so we are going to ignore those, blame others for it, and focus on (some of) the 10 games that came after that."

They’re in the film room. We aren’t. 

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Man, they're stuck with Anzalone for two seasons and at a big cap hit next year. 

Define big cap hit. Honestly. Cap hit this year of 2.5 with a 224.8M cap is 1.1% of the cap.  Next year the cap projects at 256M. 7.3 is 2.8% of the cap. So more than double, sure, but we are talking less than 3 percent for a starter. This simply isn’t a big cap hit. Is it more than he is worth?  Sure, but the cap hit is minor.