Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Agreed. I think there can be such a thing as "too many cooks" when it comes to paying them, but not if you have them on rookie deals. If they re-signed Chark on a one-year deal and then went into the draft and picked up Jahmyr Gibbs and Cedric Tillman (for instance), Ben Johnson would probably have a real fun time trying to fit all those playmakers on the field, but that's a good thing for everyone except fantasy football owners.

A later round target that could be the next ASB-like steal and take the role of X is Andrei Iosivas out of Princeton. He's flying under the radar a bit on account of being in the Ivy League, but he's 6'3" / 205 and ran a 4.43.

His Twitter profile pic is an anime character too so it also seems he can fill the locker room void left by Jamaal.

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

... A later round target that could be the next ASB-like steal and take the role of X is Andrei Iosivas out of Princeton. He's flying under the radar a bit on account of being in the Ivy League, but he's 6'3" / 205 and ran a 4.43...

I definitely had this guy on my later round picks radar...

5th round...

Any free agents anyone is still interested in...?

I'd be interested in Marcus Peters as CB depth...

I think he had a "down" year last year by his and the Ravens' standards but... I think he'd do great on the Lions, both for leadership and experience as well as ability... 

Just my 2 cents...

I don’t know what our cap situation is, but I like that we are solving needs and upgrading via free agency.  Allows us to use our significant draft capital to either truly draft BPA or combine some picks to get a more elite player.  We don’t need the draft to plug as many holes.

Drank the Kool-Aid yesterday and upgraded my season tickets. Row 7 lower bowl. How many days until training camp?

FWIW, if anyone was ever interested in season tickets I think it’s an investment that’s well worth it. The tickets can usually re-sell at prices double (or more) what you pay, and the pre-sale opportunities for concerts (like Taylor Swift) can make you huge amounts of money if you have the capital and the lack of ethics to re-sell them.

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Any free agents anyone is still interested in...?

I'd be interested in Marcus Peters as CB depth...

I think he had a "down" year last year by his and the Ravens' standards but... I think he'd do great on the Lions, both for leadership and experience as well as ability... 

Just my 2 cents...

Outside of Chark, I like Taylor Rapp. He has a Brad Holmes connection and can fill in for Tracy Walker until he is 100%. Not the fastest guy or best cover guy, but is an excellent taker and would play well next to Joseph. The Lions like to use their safeties in the run game and Rapp will replace Elliot and give depth at safety. 

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Drank the Kool-Aid yesterday and upgraded my season tickets. Row 7 lower bowl. How many days until training camp?

FWIW, if anyone was ever interested in season tickets I think it’s an investment that’s well worth it. The tickets can usually re-sell at prices double (or more) what you pay, and the pre-sale opportunities for concerts (like Taylor Swift) can make you huge amounts of money if you have the capital and the lack of ethics to re-sell them.

As an aspiring Swifty, I thank thee.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I would imagine then if we want Chark it becomes a bidding war that we probably aren't out to win.

My guess is that Chark has a one-year “prove it again” offer on the table from the Lions with an expiration set sometime before the draft, but that he really wants a longer contract (i.e., he thinks he already proved it). If he ends up taking a one-year deal I would bet it is in Detroit because his best shot at one year of success is with Ben Johnson and Jared Goff. But if someone else offers him a two or three year deal, maybe even for a little less money AAV, he’ll take it… just my hunch.

I also wonder if part of his in-person meeting with the Panthers was a physical work-up on that ankle. It seems like it’s never really fully healed.

This squad is really setup for something special, even before the draft. If you add one or two instant playmakers in the draft like we are setup to do, I really believe there is no ceiling to where this team can go. The NFC simply lacks elite team-wide talent, and the NFC North is absolutely for the taking.

I'm going to be heartbroken if some nonsense like a fluke Goff injury in week one takes the winds out of our sails. I'm not saying break the bank or anything, but I sure hope they have a better plan than Nate Sudfeld.

Have made some major upgrades at just about every position on the field with the only losses possibly being WR if they lose Chark. And even if that were to happen I'm confident they will get a suitable replacement in the draft plus also barring injury will have a full season of Jamo should offset any loss we would get from going from Chark to a rookie WR. 

Edited by RandyMarsh