Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Gives them good flexibility as I wouldn't count on Tracy Walker being 100%. Can play CGJ at safety or trying moving Okudah to safety. Love the free agency by Holmes. He was more aggressive this year but the team isn't locked into any bad contracts. None of these contracts affect possible extensions to Sewell, St Brown and Goff if they want to. Still flexible to sign Hutchinson when the time comes. It also allows them to be flexible in the draft. 

• Thanks 1

Unless they are really high on Levis I don't see a scenario where they draft a QB at 6 cause he's likely the only one that is going to be there and even that's not a guarantee, which is just another reason why I hate the idea of drafting one this year. I mean why settle for the 4th best QB in a down QB draft when you really don't even need one now in the first place? 

Drafting a CB is still a possibility in the 1st round. Mosely, CGJ and Harris all signed one year deals. Okudah is in the last year of his contract if they don't pick up the 5th year option. All these players could be gone by this time next year. Holmes set himself up to where he could go in any direction this draft.

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Unless they are really high on Levis I don't see a scenario where they draft a QB at 6 cause he's likely the only one that is going to be there and even that's not a guarantee, which is just another reason why I hate the idea of drafting one this year. I mean why settle for the 4th best QB in a down QB draft when you really don't even need one now in the first place? 

what if they dont feel its a down year for qbs?  just sayin...

mosely and cgj are on one year deals, okudah's fifth year is not going to get picked up, the lions will be drafting a cb this year (maybe two).  just a matter of where in the draft.

they also still have a big hole at defensive tackle and can use another linebacker.

and for the love of god please sign someone to play backup qb.  like mc said, this is the first time in ages they seem to have a real shot at the division, lets not ruin it with goff going down week 1.

Holmes is a mad scientist this off-season and I'm here for all of it. 

These deals are perfect. It opens up the draft to more possibilities now and these guys will either re-sign here if they perform or the Lions will get a crapload of comp picks and filter in more cheap young talent to replace them while the new wave of "prove it" deals get signed. This is what good organizations do, this feels odd as a long suffering Lions fan and very settling.

38 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

Ok Brad, I see you.  I think drafting a QB in round 1 is a real possibility. 

I wouldn't be shocked. I know these are 1 year deals so it doesn't necessarily rule out corner and safety in the 1st round but it lessens the urgency to draft one early so it gives Holmes the flexibility to splurge on a luxury or take a risk. I think WR is possible in the 1st as well.

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow, really upgraded that secondary. 

So who do they pick in the first round?   Defensive Line?   QB?  

Still a lot of one year deals in the secondary. Gonzalez still has to be in the mix. But now CB isn’t a hole to fill.