Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

7 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

You have to be impressed. The Okwara deal is a good marker. Not that it was an earth shatterning deal or anything, but just because finding common ground on an agreement like that requires finesse - I bet most orgs would just have cut him and then would have had to go find someone else comparable to sign for depth. If the Lions got more relief than a cut would have gained and Okwara gets a fair deal - Win-win.

If the Lions cut him, they would have saved $7.5M. This way they save $9M. I also believe Okwara's salary this year was not guaranteed. Now I believe it is so Okawara benefits as well. Had he been cut, he was not going to get a guaranteed contract given his injury history. 

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yep, after I posted that I realized it said per game and not just a 500k bonus. Could end up making 10.5 million if he plays every game. 

No...

It says $500K TOTAL...

in per game bonuses. I take that to mean he can earn 500/17 = ~30K PER GAME for a TOTAL of $500K.

That's how I read it at least...

I remember there were some expectations in 2015 following that 11 win 2014 season. One thing that is different is the Lions had a chance to win the division and finish as high as the 2 seed with a win at Green Bay on the final game of the season. The Lions lost by double digits and tumbled from a potential 2 seed to 6 seed. They probably should have beaten Dallas. The defense was legit. This year they go into Green Bay in the final game of the season it was is for all intents and purposes a playoff game and win. They win by outplaying the Packers in the 4th quarter. They got the ball back with 3:30 left and the Packers with three timeouts. The Packers never get the ball back. That was a changing of the guard moment for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't think 1992 qualifies.

We had a lot of really nice and/or great players... but with Fontes still the coach, we just really seemed to always be just squeaking by. And our QB's were always OK, but nothing great...

Optimistic/ hopeful/ and even when we got Scott Mitchell there was some hope there (at least his first year or so before he imploded)... but I never felt the Lions were going to be GREAT!!!

You felt that way in 1992? Wasn't Peete our starting QB at that point in time...?

I don't think MB is all that closer with 2015... we were getting pretty good under Caldwell but I never felt a sense of greatness. 11 wins was nice in 2014 but... if anything, the closest I felt was after Schwartz got us to 10 wins in 2011 because of some of the great players we had on the team... but then we imploded after that as well...

This just feels... more real, and more long-term competitiveness, at a high level, to me.

I never felt long-term with Fontes or Caldwell, and Schwartz was suspect too after his and the teams' meltdowns in the 2011 playoffs. High hopes, but some worries...

Just my 2 cents.

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I never really believed in that team, 1991 seemed like a bit of a fluke playing above its talent level. I actually thought the 1995 and 2014 teams were the best Lions teams in my lifetime but there wasn't much offseason hype headed into either year, not like we're going to experience this offseason I'm sure.

Edited by NYLion

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

1992 because they were coming off an appearance in the NFC Championship.

I'm thinking that any real hopes in 1992 were all sitting 100% on Barry Sanders shoulders... and not too much else.

Probably on the defense somewhat too but they got exposed by the Redskins...

Maybe there was more hope there than I am remembering and if so it's probably recency bias...

I just... I don't think my memory goes back that far anymore...

I had high expectations after 2011 but the Packers were 15-1 that year and again 2011 ended in disappointment as the Lions lost to Matt Flynn. It was the difference between playing the Saints and a weaker Giants team. The Packers were still the class of the division even though it seemed the Lions were up and coming. This year it feels like the division is the Lions to lose. 

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I never really believed in that team, 1991 seemed like a bit of a fluke playing above its talent level....

I sort of, kind of, remember that too but wouldn't be able to put my finger on why that feeling of luck or playing over our heads lingers a bit... Maybe because of Fontes or Kramer getting us those wins. Those guys were luck... and Peete not a whole lot better but... a little.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I had high expectations after 2011 but the Packers were 15-1 that year and again 2011 ended in disappointment as the Lions lost to Matt Flynn. It was the difference between playing the Saints and a weaker Giants team. The Packers were still the class of the division even though it seemed the Lions were up and coming. This year it feels like the division is the Lions to lose. 

That's the other thing...

Even though we were having decent-to-good years, in all of those examples... we were NEVER the "Class" of the league, or conference, or sometimes even the division.

Right now... it seems that Holmes/ Campbell are not only putting together an extremely high-end competitive team but... 

There's no one standing in our way.

They lost Suh but Ansah had a nice season and seemed to be a budding star. They did replace Suh with Ngata. It was a downgrade but not horrible. They still had Tulloch and Levy and Glover Quinn and Slay still young. On offense you still had Calvin Johnson, Tate, Reggie Bush and of course Stafford. The line was good that year. Caldwell was in his 1st season so you got a lot of vibes that the Lions were going in the right direction.