Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

1 minute ago, buddha said:

i'll believe the lions are better than dallas when i see them actually beat dallas.

its hard not to be optimistic about the lions, but i temper my lions optimism with 50 years of hurt.

"one lion on the shirt...50 years of hurt..."  english people will catch that reference.

65+ years so your reference is off a bit...

Football was the last sport I started following closely as a kid, my first experience with it was tecmo bowl so like everybody else I loved the Raiders and Bo Jackson so for my first couple years of my football fandom I was a Raiders fan. 

Then my Dad took me to a game in 91 and between going to a game live and watching Barry Sanders I became a Lions fan. Little did I know then that 30 plus years later that first year of fandom would be the high water mark for the Lions. 

I'm younger than most of the group (have not been on this Earth for a playoff win). Started as a fan in the early to mid 2000s, but there wasn't much memorable then... The Shaun Rogers interception return against the Broncos in... 2006? 2007? stands out, where he clearly about took a player's head off with a face mask that didn't get called. 2008 and beyond were the more clear memories though... Orlovsky running out of the back of the end zone, drafting Stafford and then Suh, Stafford's rookie game against the Browns.

One of my clearest memories of a Lions game though, from high school, was the Calvin Johnson "process of the catch" game. I remember that midway through the 4th quarter I was all excited, and my dad stood up, announced that we were going to lose, and went to the front yard to mow the lawn... He catches that pass with 20 seconds left, and I run to the front door jumping up and down, all excited to tell my dad that we had won and proven him wrong. Sliced my hand open on the frame of the door while my dad doesn't miss a beat, just kept on mowing and said "I doubt it".

We couldn't afford tickets as a kid, so I didn't really start attending games until I had graduated high school... In 2015, I went to three football games... Trouble with the Snap, Rodgers Hail Mary, and Michigan getting their ass handed to them by Ohio State.

One of the most underrated Lions games that doesn't get talked about happened in 1999. Year after Barry Sanders left and expectations were pretty low for the Lions. They started the season 6-2. Around that time, they played the Rams and the greatest show on turf. Kurt Warner was taking the league by storm, the Lions were having this improbable season and before you knew it, two last place teams were now the top teams in the NFC. They both met at the Silverdome and the Lions won. Down late in the 4th quarter, Charlie Batch having been injured prior, Gus Frerotte steps in and facing 4th and 26 hits Germaine Growell down the left sideline. The game winning drive is capped off by a TD pass to Johnny Morton. The Lions were flying high and leading the division and challenging for the best record in the NFC. IIRC the next game was against the lowly Cardinals where they layed an egg and came cratering back to earth and the Rams went on to win the Super Bowl. 

I may have told this before, but I grew up a Vikings fan.  LOVED Fran Tarkenton, Sammy White, Chuck Foreman, the Purple People Eaters .. then the Lions drafted Gary Danielson.  That summer, Danielson came to our little small town & spent an entire afternoon with all of us kids, signing autographs, throwing us passes. It was so cool.  From that moment on I've been a Lions fan.  & until recently, I swore if I ever saw Gary Danielson again, I'd punch him right in the mouth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

One of the most underrated Lions games that doesn't get talked about happened in 1999. Year after Barry Sanders left and expectations were pretty low for the Lions. They started the season 6-2. Around that time, they played the Rams and the greatest show on turf. Kurt Warner was taking the league by storm, the Lions were having this improbable season and before you knew it, two last place teams were now the top teams in the NFC. They both met at the Silverdome and the Lions won. Down late in the 4th quarter, Charlie Batch having been injured prior, Gus Frerotte steps in and facing 4th and 26 hits Germaine Growell down the left sideline. The game winning drive is capped off by a TD pass to Johnny Morton. The Lions were flying high and leading the division and challenging for the best record in the NFC. IIRC the next game was against the lowly Cardinals where they layed an egg and came cratering back to earth and the Rams went on to win the Super Bowl. 

Yeah that's a good call. I also remember another time in I believe 2007 where they destroyed the Broncos to get to 6-2 only to lose on the road again to Arizona which sparked a free fall. If I'm remembering it right we finished 1-7 and then of course went 0-16 the following year. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I remember that game very well.  I was at my parents house watching it with many of my siblings.  That's 4th and forever was amazing.  I remember there was a big discussion after that game that even if Batch was healthy he should sit out against the Cards because it was going to be a cake wake against them.

That was the game where the Lions scored a TD late and were down by 10 points.  Bobby Ross went for 2 pts instead of kicking the extra point.  If I recall correctly the Lions were in FG range at the end of the game but had to go for a TD because of the missed extra point.

My first Lions memory was the 1993 Lions team I think. I might have some vague memories of the 1992 team and Barry Sanders, but the 93 season was what I can really remember earliest. I remember the three headed monster at QB of Rodney Peete, Eric Kramer, and Andre Ware. I remember Barry running all over Tampa Bay at the Silverdome that year with nearly 200 yards rushing I think. I somewhat remember the actual in-game play of Farve to Sterling Sharpe wide open in the end zone in the playoffs and Chris Berman on NFL Primetime calling the play too.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

My first VIVID Lions memory was a game vs. The Baltimore Colts.      I was about 11 years old and I had gone to Lakeside Mall with my mom.   While she was shopping I was watching the Lions game on the wall of TV's at JC Penney.    Colts have a slim lead with just a few seconds left............all they have to do is punt the ball away and my mom said Lets Go, right now.   By the time we got to the car the Lions announcers were celebrating a victory.     

This guy covers that play very well in this entertaining video. 

My first two memories were not Lions games:

First Lions memory: a basketball game. Against my uncles South Lyon varsity basketball team, the Lions of course. I think I was 8 or so IIRC and the Lions (S Lyon varsity) lost to the Lions (Detroit football players) pretty handily... I don't remember the game much but I've had a South Lyons program autographed by all the Lions (Detroit) players that played that night since then...

They must not have made that much of an impression on me because I don't ever remember actually going to one of the football games (in the 70's)...

My second memory was: in the 1980 draft when we drafted Billy Sims #1 overall. OK, NOW I was interested in the Lions and started following them (especially as a draftnik) since then... although I've only been to 1 or 2 games in the early 80's and none since...

Maybe when I retire and get out of Jersey and do some travelling...

Edited by 1984Echoes

Yep, 48-17.   Hip was responsible for 6 touchdowns that night.  4 passing and 2 rushing.    Talk about a great home debut.  

OH MY GOD,  THE WHOLE GAME IS ON YOUTUBE...............We probably thought those graphics were so amazing and cutting edge 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeHukrwnwWw

Wow, look at all that haze in the Silverdome, it's almost all cigarette smoke

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

First Lions game I went to (that I remember) was the Monday Night game against the Bears..........The Eric Hipple game.   We beat the snot out of them.  Without looking it up, I think we won 48-17..................Let me look it up. 

Reminds me of the first Monday Night game I went to, season opener against the Jets under Patricia’s regime. While I was in the longest line of all time for security, Sam Darnold’s first career pass was intercepted and returned for a pick six.

Best play of the season, as we proceeded to get the snot kicked out of us. Feels like we lost by like 40. Stafford threw 3 or 4 picks in that game and then the backup - Matt Cassel maybe? - came in and threw another.

Kind of summed up the Matt Patricia regime in a way. Terrible from start to finish, and insulting at the same time.

I've mentioned most of this before. Wasn't much of a pro football fan growing up. We had the Steelers, who were Lionesque, in the 60s. Moved south to where the 'Skins were dominate on TV and radio from the Sonny Jurgensen era to the Hogs and beyond.

Then on to Chicago for stellar football at the end of the Ditka era into Wannstedt to early Dick Juron. The last couple of years a small part of my wife's job was managing the radio broadcast. 

We moved to Detroit near the end of the 2000 season and she was tasked with the Lions radio broadcasts among other things. 

My first real association with the Lions then was the final game of the season, against the Bears. We had the Bears broadcasters over to our house for dinner the night before the game. I remember Tom Thayer getting lost in one of our overstuffed chairs that night.

That was the game that initiated to SOL. When they lost on a last second field goal, and started the Matt Millen era.

Just an addendum, while we were mulling over the move to Detroit we did an impromptu scouting trip to Detroit the weekend  Bobby Ross quit. While we were tooling around the area listening to the Lions broadcast, my wife got a call from her boss in Chicago. The Bears flagship station station was off the area. A transformer had blown and folks were scrambling to get things back on the air. Something she had to "manage" from 5 hours away...

Maybe the gods wrer telling us something.