Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

Really excited to see how this team responds with the expectations they will have going into the season.

Looking at the draft boards, I think going DL and WR in the first round would be my preference.  One more weapon would be ideal. 

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

OH MY GOD,  THE WHOLE GAME IS ON YOUTUBE...............We probably thought those graphics were so amazing and cutting edge 

I love the opening by Don Meradith:

"...well they [The Bears] haven't been able to pass the ball too well either. As a matter of fact last week against Washington Vince Evans, well he hit 12 out of 37 and you'd say that's not too good. Well the bad part is four of those he hit belonged to Washington."

Ouch.

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

Really excited to see how this team responds with the expectations they will have going into the season.

Looking at the draft boards, I think going DL and WR in the first round would be my preference.  One more weapon would be ideal. 

Lions luck would be that they look great, things are humming along the first 3 weeks and then Goff goes down and we STILL DONT HAVE A BACK UP.     Carson Wentz with an Offensive Line might be great.    Matt Ryan - being a game manager might be great.   A rookie with no experience stepping in to run a somewhat complicated offense that is very dependent on timing over raw talent would be a disaster.   

if they did sign Carson Wentz,  that would be interesting to have the #1 and #2 pick from the same season at the same position when most draft experts were saying either/or.        Maybe they draft a Hendon Hooker or an Aidan O'Connell but don't use them as the #2 QB, let them watch.   I know that is very tricky, trying to keep 3 QBs on the roster, but if they drafted a rookie for a team that is ready to win now, they'd be smart to buffer them for a year.    Matt Ryan wants one more shot at glory.  Carson Wentz is trying to prove he can still play.     I wanted Taylor Heinecke, but he went to the Falcons.  

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Top backup QBs weren't going to sign with the Lions when the starter doesn't miss games. Heinecke has a much better chance of starting in Atlanta vs being a doomsday solution in Detroit. 

True, but being a backup on a playoff contender would be enticing I would think. 

I think it would be enticing playing with the offensive players and coordinator we have. You'd be taking a risk knowing how durable Goff has been but if he were to go down you know you'd be in a position to succeed which in turn could lead to more money and/or a starting job in the future somewhere else. 

• Like 1

Besides Hooker (I think he's projected round 2 or 3), is there any QB prospect that could be a starter "down the road" kinda like Richardson that could be a serviceable backup QB for us for the next 5-7 years that we could get in rounds 4-7? If he turns into a starter great, but if he's just a competent backup, then that works great anyways on a rookie contract? Anyone like that available to any of ya'lls knowledge?

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think it would be enticing playing with the offensive players and coordinator we have. You'd be taking a risk knowing how durable Goff has been but if he were to go down you know you'd be in a position to succeed which in turn could lead to more money and/or a starting job in the future somewhere else. 

I like Heinicke a lot. The $6 mil cap hit seemed a bit too big for me. The contract before incentives wasn't bad though. He also lives near Atlanta. I think that also factors in.

16 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

My first VIVID Lions memory was a game vs. The Baltimore Colts.      I was about 11 years old and I had gone to Lakeside Mall with my mom.   While she was shopping I was watching the Lions game on the wall of TV's at JC Penney.    Colts have a slim lead with just a few seconds left............all they have to do is punt the ball away and my mom said Lets Go, right now.   By the time we got to the car the Lions announcers were celebrating a victory.     

This guy covers that play very well in this entertaining video. 

I watched that game!  I remember my dad going on about how the Lions were going to lose and I countered with.."there's always a chance"  He then bet me a buck the lions would lose.  After the game he welched.

My dad could be a real jerk when he wanted to.

My earliest Lions memory is the 1970 season.  The loss to the Saints on Dempsey's FG...the team winning against Green Bay at home to go 10-4 and earn the wild card.  They then lost to the Cowboys 5-0.  Who the hell loses a game 5-0?

The Lions...that's who

25 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Besides Hooker (I think he's projected round 2 or 3), is there any QB prospect that could be a starter "down the road" kinda like Richardson that could be a serviceable backup QB for us for the next 5-7 years that we could get in rounds 4-7? If he turns into a starter great, but if he's just a competent backup, then that works great anyways on a rookie contract? Anyone like that available to any of ya'lls knowledge?

I think Dorian Thompson-Robinson from UCLA is a really intriguing prospect. He's fast and athletic but not a particularly strong arm. No idea if he can make all the throws and full read through progressions.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Top backup QBs weren't going to sign with the Lions when they think the lions are trading up to draft anthony richardson. Heinecke has a much better chance of starting in Atlanta vs being a doomsday solution in Detroit. 

ftfy  🙂

What it comes down to is the evaluation of Brad and Dan (duh).  If they decide that Anthony Richardson is the best QB prospect then I would expect a trade up to 3 to go get him.  If they don’t like any of the QBs they will sign a vet and move on. Not sure the cost of swapping 6 for 3 is, probably a 2nd rounder.

This draft is the first one I remember where I don’t really care what direction they go. Any of WR, DL, QB or secondary either the two first round picks is a good with me. No on a TE. I’d be ok with Robinson at RB if they love him. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yep, 48-17.   Hip was responsible for 6 touchdowns that night.  4 passing and 2 rushing.    Talk about a great home debut.  

OH MY GOD,  THE WHOLE GAME IS ON YOUTUBE...............We probably thought those graphics were so amazing and cutting edge 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeHukrwnwWw

Wow, look at all that haze in the Silverdome, it's almost all cigarette smoke

Fantetti is a bum. Lions will never win with him at LB. 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

What it comes down to is the evaluation of Brad and Dan (duh).  If they decide that Anthony Richardson is the best QB prospect then I would expect a trade up to 3 to go get him.  If they don’t like any of the QBs they will sign a vet and move on. Not sure the cost of swapping 6 for 3 is, probably a 2nd rounder.

This draft is the first one I remember where I don’t really care what direction they go. Any of WR, DL, QB or secondary either the two first round picks is a good with me. No on a TE. I’d be ok with Robinson at RB if they love him. 

Edge rusher...WR (if Chark leaves), LB, maybe a RB and DL help. Best player available. We have enough positions covered now and don't need to reach for needs. Kinda nice to be in this situation. Ford Field is gonna be crazy when we host a playoff game next season.

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

if they did sign Carson Wentz,  that would be interesting to have the #1 and #2 pick from the same season at the same position when most draft experts were saying either/or.        Maybe they draft a Hendon Hooker or an Aidan O'Connell but don't use them as the #2 QB, let them watch.   I know that is very tricky, trying to keep 3 QBs on the roster, but if they drafted a rookie for a team that is ready to win now, they'd be smart to buffer them for a year.    Matt Ryan wants one more shot at glory.  Carson Wentz is trying to prove he can still play.     I wanted Taylor Heinecke, but he went to the Falcons.  

I think I read the Lions sponsored a rule change proposal that would allow teams to carry an emergency 3rd string QB. 

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not the 49ers?

"On top of those three ideas, the Lions also proposed a change to allow teams to designate an emergency third quarterback from the inactive list or practice squad for each game."

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2023/03/detroit-lions-submit-3-rule-change-proposals-aimed-at-instant-replay-expansion.html

18 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Edge rusher...WR (if Chark leaves), LB, maybe a RB and DL help. Best player available. We have enough positions covered now and don't need to reach for needs. Kinda nice to be in this situation. Ford Field is gonna be crazy when we host a playoff game next season.

I don't see edge rusher as a real need although you can never have enough quality edge rushers (I have Wilson as my favorite for #6 even though he doesn't fill a big need).

I think the biggest needs are a DT to team with McNeil, WR if Chark walks, long term solution at guard, long term solution at CB and linebacker obviously. However, I wouldn't say any of those are critical needs outside of LB which is a testament to how well Holmes has built this roster.

It makes this draft process more fun because he could just pick talent as opposed to filling needs which leads me to believe that we might see more offense picks than people might think.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can see it now. The Lions go on a miraculous run to the NFC Championship Game. With a big lead at the half, Goff slips and falls in the locker room at halftime. Nate Sudfeld comes in and immediately throws four interceptions, before Dan Campbell single handedly concusses him with a clipboard… who’s that coming into the game?? 53-year-old Mark Brunell.

*cue The Longest Yard Burt Reynolds tossing aside the hat and putting on the helmet, “I’m going in”

• Haha 1