Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

I don't see edge rusher as a real need although you can never have enough quality edge rushers (I have Wilson as my favorite for #6 even though he doesn't fill a big need).

I think the biggest needs are a DT to team with McNeil, WR if Chark walks, long term solution at guard, long term solution at CB and linebacker obviously. However, I wouldn't say any of those are critical needs outside of LB which is a testament to how well Holmes has built this roster.

It makes this draft process more fun because he could just pick talent as opposed to filling needs which leads me to believe that we might see more offense picks than people might think.

I agree with your list and thoughts there...

I would add: One more RB, in the draft, to back up Swift, specifically. 

I would say that it's not critical but only slightly less than critical because I. do. not. trust. Swift's. availability.

Also: Backup QB. Short-term would be picking up a FA. And maybe that's enough. But if Holmes/ Campbell draft a QB in the first 3 rounds then I am assuming they believe in the pick enough to become at the very least a long(er) term solution as backup QB, and possibly better than that. If they don't draft one, it's still an (important) need... but it's not critical draft-wise... Just an extra 2 cents here...

Edited by 1984Echoes

21 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would say that it's not critical but only slightly less than critical because I. do. not. trust. Swift's. availability.

Also: Backup QB. Short-term would be picking up a FA. And maybe that's enough. But if Holmes/ Campbell draft a QB in the first 3 rounds then I am assuming they believe in the pick enough to become at the very least a long(er) term solution as backup QB, and possibly better than that. If they don't draft one, it's still an (important) need... but it's not critical draft-wise... Just an extra 2 cents here...

Yeah, I was going to add backup QB too but I'm one of those fans who think the position is less critical than others seem to make it out to be especially since QBs (pocket passers specifically) don't get injured as much as they used to. I'd rather the QB be a developmental guy than a retread, in any event.

20 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

jared goff is going to get very expensive in two years.  like potentially $45-50 million if he keeps up his game from the second half of the season.  and sewell will likely be the highest paid olineman and st brown will make a good amount as a slot guy.

im sure holmes is thinking about the cap ramifications down the road.  for once, its a nice problem to have rather than our usual "we'll have so much cap space after we let these bums walk!"

I'm old enough to remember when people shit a brick over signing Chase Daniel now we want to draft backup QBs in the top 10 or sign high priced veteran backups for a QB who doesn't miss games. This backup QB obsession is fascinating. I think it's more that people don't like Goff but he played too well for people to just outright say they want to replace him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At some point spending big on mediocre QB's is going to become an inefficient allocation of resources. Like Kirk Cousins, Derek Carr, etc. And maybe Goff. You probably can win a SB with them, but the rest of the team better be in great shape, which can be difficult when you are spending 20% of your salary cap on one player.

That is the decision Holmes and co. will have next off season if they don't draft one this year.

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Oh no, our QB is going to be too good and we'll have to pay him. 

its not that, its that you wont have enough money (or AS MUCH) money to pay the other good players on your team.

but good qbs cost money and if goff continues to get better, maybe they do pay him?

or they see that an effective game manager can run their offense and they let goff leave and find another effective game manager?  dont know.  but they have options.

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Eagles should draft a QB since Hurts is about to get expensive. 

Teams are putting legitimate thought into how much to pay a QB on his second contract when much of his game relies on running. That’s exactly what we are seeing with Lamar Jackson. How much do you guarantee? I’d Lamar or Jalen end up getting hurt and needing to be more of a pocket passer, how successful will they be?  That’s the question. Eventually there will be a point where the percentage of cap space a QB takes will hit a tipping point, it can’t keep going up forever. 

40 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Oh no, our QB is going to be too good and we'll have to pay him. 

The QB market is heavily inflated where mediocre to good QBs are getting premium contracts. I think most like Goff especially at $30m/yr but not at the $45-50m it will likely cost to retain him if he has another good season unless it's more than a good season. If he takes the Lions deep into the playoffs then I'm sure the next contract concerns will lessen somewhat.

44 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm old enough to remember when people shit a brick over signing Chase Daniel now we want to draft backup QBs in the top 10 or sign high priced veteran backups for a QB who doesn't miss games. This backup QB obsession is fascinating. I think it's more that people don't like Goff but he played too well for people to just outright say they want to replace him. 

I think you're mostly way over blowing what people are saying when they want to address backup QB.  I think most people are saying it's an area that needs to be addressed but it isn't something that it's the most urgent thing in the world.

Given that (at least on paper) the team seems to be pretty talented and with good depth in most areas, it's pretty natural to identify the areas where we may be in weaker shape depth-wise... like QB.  Wanted to have a better backup is NOT an indictment of Goff anymore than people wanting to draft Anderson is saying that they don't like Hutch. 

11 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The QB market is heavily inflated where mediocre to good QBs are getting premium contracts. I think most like Goff especially at $30m/yr but not at the $45-50m it will likely cost to retain him if he has another good season unless it's more than a good season. If he takes the Lions deep into the playoffs then I'm sure the next contract concerns will lessen somewhat.

I remember just two years ago Goff's contract was so bad that the Rams had to give a 1st round pick to unload it. Now it's considered a good contract. Same thing will happen if he signs an extension. People will lose their minds but the cap will go up, other QBs will sign bigger deals, and the contract won't look that bad. It was done with Stafford's contract. The Rams won a Super Bowl with more cap space being taken up by Goff than Stafford. QB is not the position to get cheap. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

jared goff is going to get very expensive in two years.  like potentially $45-50 million if he keeps up his game from the second half of the season.  and sewell will likely be the highest paid olineman and st brown will make a good amount as a slot guy.

im sure holmes is thinking about the cap ramifications down the road.  for once, its a nice problem to have rather than our usual "we'll have so much cap space after we let these bums walk!"

Hooker or Bust!!!

5 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I think you're mostly way over blowing what people are saying when they want to address backup QB.  I think most people are saying it's an area that needs to be addressed but it isn't something that it's the most urgent thing in the world.

Given that (at least on paper) the team seems to be pretty talented and with good depth in most areas, it's pretty natural to identify the areas where we may be in weaker shape depth-wise... like QB.  Wanted to have a better backup is NOT an indictment of Goff anymore than people wanting to draft Anderson is saying that they don't like Hutch. 

I've seen more talk about a backup QB, on this forum and other social media, than I ever did when Stafford was here. 

The difference between drafting Anderson and drafting a QB is that Hutchinson and Anderson would play on the field together. A defensive line has two ends. You don't play two QBs at the same time. I don't care about Taysom Hill either. 

I think people underestimate the ability to spread out large contracts and buy time before cap hell arises.   The Lions will still have a 3 to 4 year window after they decide on their future QB and pay him, extend Sewell, and extend ASB.   They also have an advantage in drafting well in the later rounds and developing solid players so they aren’t in a terrible spot if they choose to move on from players that you’d ideally like to extend like a Jonah Jackson or Alim McNeil for example.   

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

So what happens if the QB you draft is good? You're going to have to pay him or enter this cycle of being cheap with QBs. 

So your answer too this situation is that there should be ONE, and ONLY ONE QB on the Lions roster, correct?

That seems like a really, really good plan.

All NFL teams should follow your blueprint. It seems like... such a winning philosophy.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

So your answer too this situation is that there should be ONE, and ONLY ONE QB on the Lions roster, correct?

That seems like a really, really good plan.

All NFL teams should follow your blueprint. It seems like... such a winning philosophy.

No I suggested signing Mason Rudolph to be the backup or another QB some team wasted a mid to late round draft pick on. 

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I've seen more talk about a backup QB, on this forum and other social media, than I ever did when Stafford was here...

Which year when Stafford was here were we in a Super Bowl possibility/ discussion?

Where having a top backup would be a necessary precaution in order to not lose out on that possibility...?

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

No I suggested signing Mason Rudolph to be the backup or another QB some team wasted a mid to late round draft pick on. 

And since others are suggesting using a draft pick on a Hooker or similar...

You need to relentlessly attack and belittle that philosophy.

I think you're the problem.

Not the ones suggesting to use a draft pick on a QB.

• Confused 1